Chapter 5

The last Six months had flown by. John was making good progress in his training, and although I could tell Grey still wasn't completely supportive of John being here, I could tell he was slowly coming around.

The last few months had been a big adjustment for Tim and me since getting custody of Toby, who was about to turn one here in a few days. It was still crazy to think just how much his life had changed in just the first year, but even after all that, we are making it work, and we couldn't be happier having this adorable little boy in our lives. Toby and Tim were thick as thieves. Tim was definitely his favorite, and ladies, let me tell you, seeing the love of your life holding a baby makes them instantly a thousand times hotter.

We had routines now as a family. Instead of Tim and I only have to worry about getting ourselves ready in the morning, now we also had to split the duties of getting the baby ready too. 

Looking at how Tim was with me and Toby made me think of my daughter and her father. Jared held the belief that the children were the mother's responsibility.

I had only found out I was pregnant about four months before I graduated from the PTO program at North Hollywood. So I was still only starting out when I had my daughter, and I was practically a single mother.

At the time, this all made sense to me because I had bought into his manipulation and gaslighting, and full on abuse but now, looking back, the man never once lifted a finger in regard to our daughter.

I woke up every morning at 4 am to make sure I could have everything, including Jared's and my lunches and  Emma's diaper bag packed, coffee made along with breakfast and dinner planned for that night as well as get the baby up and ready for daycare and make sure that I had clothes ready for Jared in the bathroom for after he took his morning shower.

Jared worked part-time at his father's marketing business and made pretty good money doing it, but even though he only worked four or five hours a day, we still had to have a babysitter pick Emma up from daycare when I was on shift to watch her till I got off work, while Jared went to play golf with buddies or out drinking in the middle of the day always stating that it wasn't his job to watch her. He never so much as made a snack for Emma. Even when we had 50/50 custody after our divorce, he hired a full-time live-in nanny. 

Tim was completely different. He volunteers to do anything and everything he can for the two of us. When we first got together it blew my mind how kind he was and it still does sometimes. He loves getting to be a dad.

That's what we are now parents. Tim and I will always make sure Toby knows about his parents but I promised Justice when she asked me and Tim to be his godparents that if anything should happen then we would raise him as our own and that's what we'll do.

Tim loves having Toby around the two are practically inseparable. Watching Tim play with Tony every night just cements how wonderful of a man he is. Toby and Tim actually do look remarkably alike but then again Zack also looked like Tim many people mistaking the two for brothers.

Toby had a little head full of blonde hair and deep blue eyes that looked similar to Tim's only his were slightly lighter.

The only thing that came close to as cute as watching the two together was watching Tim talk about Toby. He would tell Lopez and Chen and really anyone who would listen all about how Toby at only 8 months old was already crawling and then at ten months was pulling himself up to stand in his crib and while holding on the the coffee table.

The cutest moment had to be when Tim was telling Lopez about Toby first steps. About how while we were playing he just stood up took a few steps and then fell on his bottom and went back to playing having taken both of us by surprise. A few minutes later he did it again an we were able to get a cute little video of him walking over to Tim. Watching Tim's face light up with pride when he showed Lopez the video made my heart swell. Tim was so proud.

So was I. This morning while on patrol I let John drive I decided to go through my photos to try and clear some storage but quickly got stuck in the baby black hole. I sat for twenty minutes staring at the different photos of Toby and Tim. Watched a bunch of cute videos with out the sound. I was so zoned out at bay when the radio crackled to life it made me jump slightly.

"7-Adam-17, we have a possible 419 at the Wiltshire bus station on the corner of 39 and park"

"7-Adam-17 show us responding." I answered in to the mic before turning to Nolan " what's a 419 boot?"

" Possible dead body" he responded

I nodded letting him know he was correct and we headed for the crime scene.

~~~~~~~~~
Not only was it a dead body but a terrorists dead body. A group was planning a biological attack on LA  with a strain of  hemorrhagic fever. The entire department was on high alert. I quickly called Tim's sister Ginny to pick Toby up from daycare and told her that even though I couldn't tell her what was going on she needed to keep everyone home and indoors.

Nolan and I were on patrol looking for anything that could lead up to what the target of the attack was when Grey called me on my personal cell phone. Normally getting a call from your boss while on shift was usually not a big deal but that's on you LAPD issued phone getting a call on your personal especially while your spouse was also a Police Officer made your heart stop.

" Yes Sir." I answered the call

" Dolly hey you and Nolan need to get over to 1313 West highland street. Tim's been exposed."