City Rain

.̫ .

Clouds are hurling together up above the sky. Grey were slowly covering the blue as I walked on, passing by store to store. My sandals echoed at the pavement of this city's street floor. Bustling cars, talking crowds swift in a hurry. I put my hands at the pocket of my jacket, only one key was inside. My skirt swayed at the wind's. Smell of polluted air drift by. A city of humans.

I walked on and on, nowhere to go except for home. Or so a home that I call my own, an apartment that I bought for me to cave by after a day in this city.

Not a minute too soon, the rain poured. Some people quickly look for shelter. And for a second, I was tempted to follow and look for one too. But I had no important place to go to and my clothes wouldn't mind getting wet. Besides, wouldn't it be nice to get soaked at the rain from time to time?
I stop by near a crossing road and as the light turn red, all cars went to a halt. Rain was pattering in each windshield, I cross the road along with people covering themselves in umbrellas.

My feet walk me to the park nearby. Few benches circled the huge tree of this part of the city. I sat at one of the benches which was also soaked in rainwater. The rain was pouring hard on the leaves which then fell into my head. It was a gentle rain, no lightning or thunder. I bow down my head as I cup some raindrops on my shivering hands.

Slish Slosh Slesh Slush

People keep on passing, rain pattering on different umbrellas. The wind came by and blow its coldness around. One pair of shoes passes, one pair of slippers next, one shoes stop. . . near me. I can hear the sound of rain hitting on an umbrella above me. I look up and saw two pair of brown eyes looking at mine. Those eyes that I once admired.

"Thank you but no, thank you."I declined his shelter.

There was a flicker of confusion and sadness in his eyes but then he asked, "Why?"

I answered, "The rain is lovely."

His confusion subsided and he remove his umbrella from my head.
"Is it alright to keep you company, then?"he asked as he remain standing near me.

I nodded and says,"If you like to."

The rain keep on pouring. The rain echoed above each one of us. It was silence between once-lovers under the loud rain in this bustling city. The rain take over beautiful minutes of silence within us. And I knew right then that it was a passing moment.

Just a passing moment. . . with him.

Fin.