Chapter 2

Warnings:
mentions of alcohol

There was about an hour before the party started and James and Sirius were busy getting ready for it. James helped tie up the corset Sirius wanted to wear, only to untie it 20 minutes later when Sirius decided to switch from feminine to masculine. James pondered whether he should wear a tie or not, only to end up decide that a tie was too formal.

James helped straighten Sirius's hair and put tiny braids in it. Sirius helped put some light makeup on James. James watched as Sirius meticulously did his eyeliner, looking like a badass. Sirius put on Taylor Swift and they both sang the chorus at the top of their lungs.

When they were finally ready, they got into James's car and drove to Gideon and Fabian's house. As started earlier, they were some of the richest kids at Hogwarts, so James and Sirius weren't surprised when they pulled up at a sprawling mansion at least 4 stories high.

There was a fountain out the front, and, having been there before, James knew there was also a fountain in the entrance hall. Gideon and Fabian's parents both worked in the military in very high positions and were constantly bringing in the money.

James and Sirius left the car and met up with Remus and Peter by the door. They were accompanied by Frank Longbottom, another close friend of James's who was a year older than them and had graduated last year. Frank was tall, not as tall as Remus though, with short black hair neatly slicked back. He had kind brown eyes and had been James's role model since he first met him.

"James, Sirius, good to see you," Frank greeted when he saw them, wrapping James into a quick hug before doing the same with Sirius.

"Didn't know you were coming," Sirius said with a grin, also having a soft spot for Frank.

Frank shrugged, a smile on his face. "Decided to surprise you."

"Bloody good surprise it is," James said, slapping Frank on the back as they all entered the house. Mansion was a better word for it, but even then it still didn't catch all of the splendidness of the place. Lush carpets and polished wooden staircases. Countless artifacts that cost more than James's school tuition placed around the house. Extravagant furniture at every turn and expensive paintings done by some of the most famous painters of the nineteenth century.

"Boys! So glad you could make it!" Gideon exclaimed when he spotted them enter. "I'm sure you can find your own way around, and if you can't just give us a shout and we'll see what we can do."

With that Gideon darted away to some other guests, in constant motion as the host of the party. James smiled fondly and continued further into the house with the rest of his friends. They ended up finding a large loungeroom that most people were staying at, so they claimed a few couches near the fireplace and waited for their other friends to arrive.

Soon enough, three girls waltzed into the room, all of them looking like goddesses. Lily Evans, Marlene McKinnon, and Mary MacDonald, three of the most popular girls at school.

Lily had fiery red hair to match her personality and intense emerald green eyes that made one's mouth go dry when they were focused on them. Marlene had blonde hair swept into a ponytail and hazel brown eyes that spoke of competition. Mary had curled black hair and beautiful brown skin that matched perfectly with the golden hoops she always wore.

The three girls walked towards the boys and settled down around them, the group finally complete. These were James's people. These were the people he cared about most in the world, excluding Regulus, of course, who would always be the one to have his heart.

The party was at full blast, all of James's friends talking and laughing with one another, yet James's eyes were trained on the doorway, hoping that Regulus would be the next one to enter. He felt his heart leap into his throat when he spotted Evan Rosier, Barty Crouch, and Dorcas Meadowes enter, the three of them being some of Regulus's closest friends, but there was no Regulus trailing after them, causing disappointment to fill James.

"She's so pretty," Marlene complained.

James followed her gaze and found Dorcas Meadowes mid laugh. Marlene had been crushing on Dorcas for ages yet had never managed to talk to her.

"Go talk to her," Lily suggested.

Marlene, much more drunk that James realised, immediately stood up and walked towards Dorcas, surprising everyone. They all watched as Marlene struck up a conversation with Dorcas, and after a while they both slunk away down a hallway.

Everyone whooped and cheered, glad that Marlene was finally getting the girl she had been pining for, but James's mind had strayed towards Regulus and where he might be, making James feel bad.

He decided to try and get his mind off Regulus, instead focusing on Lily who was already on her way to being flat-out drunk. She was spinning around the place, laughing as the world seemed to swirl before her, and James made sure to catch her when she eventually stumbled and fell.

That's how he found himself with Lily Evans resting her head against his chest, the both of them spread out across the couch as conversation filtered through the group. James happened to look up and felt his breath catch when he spotted Regulus in the entrance of the room, staring at Lily sprawled on top of him.

He noticed James's gaze and immediately turned around and left, making James worry. Regulus had always been jealous of Lily after James had dated her for a few months last year, and no matter what James did or said, Lily was always a sore point for him.

Seeing her all over James, even if it wasn't like that, obviously wouldn't be very easy for Regulus, and James longed to make sure he was okay. James passed Lily off to someone else, making up an excuse about needing the bathroom and slipped through the crowd, managing to find Regulus just before he left the house.

"Regulus wait," James said, fingers curling over Regulus's wrist in an attempt to stop him from leaving.

Regulus stiffened and turned around, the same closed off expression on his face that was always there whenever he was hurting.

"Don't mind me, I would hate to ruin your fun," Regulus spat, glaring daggers in the direction of where Lily was.

"Hey, I don't like her anymore, okay? She was just drunk," James explained quietly. "You're the one I like. The one I'm madly in love with, not her."

Regulus stared at him sceptically. "You're telling me you have no left over feelings for her?"

"None," James answered immediately. "I love you, Regulus. I'll always love you, no matter what. I promise."

Regulus looked up at James, eyes shining with fondness as he brushed his hand against James's. There were still a lot of people around, so they couldn't do any overt displays of affection, but they could talk to one another. The music was too loud for anyone else to be able to overhear any conversation they might have.

"Really?" Regulus breathed.

James smiled, staring at the boy he loved with his whole heart.

"Really."