Chapter Two

There was a certain vibe that Lara Lazarus exuded - she didn't care to be part of a team. Sport-wise, friend-wise and even dorm-wise. She was always alone but never appeared to mind it. Lara had friends in every corner of Nevermore but everyone knew she liked her solitude. She didn't know whether it was because of an old vampire stereotype or simply because people at Nevermore were good at reading their audience.

Xavier was not one of those people, though. Even when he was not physically there, the thought of him plagued her.

It has been a few days since he had chosen to sit next to her in Thornhill's class and it only escalated from there. From whispering during class to yelling her name across the corridor to tell her something ridiculous.

Lara couldn't decide if it irked her or not. On the one hand, he was a nice distraction from every other daunting thought floating around her head. But on the other hand, she could not afford to be sidetracked, especially not by some mortal boy.

"Lara!" Speak of the devil, she thought.

"Xavier. You look... interesting." She took in his strange attire from the jester's hat to the face paint and clown costume. "Ridiculous, actually."

"Says the one who wears polka dot leg warmers and... What's this?" He grabbed her arm and pushed her sleeve up. "Stripy sweaters underneath your blazer." He chuckled.

She pulled her arm away. "It's chilly today." She grimaced. "Clown."

"Just be thankful I'm not wearing a high-collar cape."

"Another crack about vampires. What a refreshing change of pace." Her tone may have indicated distaste for his comment but her face expressed the opposite.

Xavier flashed her a grin, all teeth - both real and painted on. He looked frightful, yet strangely intriguing. If Lara had spotted him in the woods she would have approached him. But that may have been the effect his luscious hair had on people.

"Why aren't you participating in the Poe Cup?" He asked.

"Well, I know you're sensitive. I wouldn't want you to lose to a girl."

He sighed, shaking his head with a laugh. His eyes bore into hers, practically prying the truth from her.

"If you must know, I've won this cup twelve times during my time at Nevermore. After the tenth, it all becomes a little... Tedious." Lara had realised long ago that winning school games was an inconsequential task that came with the reward of bragging rights that ceased to exist after a week.

The only reason she'd come down was to get some fresh air, definitely not to watch Xavier play.

"Well, excuse me." He held his hands up. "I at least hope you'll stick around long enough to watch me win." He raised his eyebrows expectantly and quirked his head to the side. "I know you're busy doing vampire things, but I would appreciate it if the twelve-time champion was there."

Lara snorted. "All I have is time, Xavier. I wouldn't mind wasting some of it on you."

He smiled. "It won't be a waste when you see how badass I am."

She flicked one of the gold bells dangling from his jester's hat as he skipped off.

Lara went amongst the audience and sat near the back. She had never witnessed a Poe Cup before, only ever participated in them. She didn't much care for sports where there were no high stakes.

Lara vaguely recalled how she had won the ones she participated in. Always with the same group of girls - only vampires of course. They were elite, striking fear into the hearts of their opponents. When they competed, nothing stood in their way.

That was about twenty years ago. Lara was the only one who had remained at Nevermore. By choice; she didn't want to leave her hometown and it was a safe space for outcasts like her. Vampires were by far the most feared - most hated - outcasts and she'd spent the majority of her life hiding or facing the ridicule of normies.

It had been some thirty-odd years that Lara had stayed at Nevermore. Everyone seemed to be able to move on with their lives, but she saw no purpose in her future. To leave was to face more abuse but to stay felt like being stuck in captivity.

To her, it was a no-brainer. Lara valued freedom above all else and yet she couldn't bring herself to pack up and leave Nevermore - the only safe haven she'd ever experienced.

She pulled away from her thoughts and refocused on the Cup. Her thoughts pulled her away from this reality 24/7, but not this time. She was eager to see Xavier win, eager to act like a normal Nevermore student.

Eager to have a friend. Even if it couldn't last.

Xavier and his team did end up winning. Lara jumped to her feet, cheering his name and felt her face light up when he looked at her and smiled.

It is a pity, she thought. To know that I'll never be looked at like that again