Chapter Four

Lara had been alive long enough to understand that hatred was a waste of time. However, when it came to Outreach Day she was willing to make an exception.

Why should outcasts be the ones to reach out? She had always wondered. What even made them the outcasts? She had gone through a phase of believing - and spreading the belief - that normies were the actual outcasts. She was not yet out of that phase and perhaps never would be. Who determined what made you an outcast?

The normies decided - they were obviously biased.

It was not a popular opinion and it didn't win her many friends. But if she was going to live forever, she may as well be authentic while doing it.

For the past few decades, Lara had loathed Outreach Day. It was all work for nothing in return except the occasional grimace or insult. It was mandatory, though and there was no getting out of it, even for a student like her, who usually got privileges owing to how long she'd been at Nevermore.

Lara got stuck waitressing. Again.

No normie wanted to see someone with fangs serving their coffee. She quite frankly did not want to be serving normies anything.

Not to mention the manager had a lot to say about her speckled scarf. He wasn't the boss of her but she had to tuck it into the side of her blazer, hidden from all who might see the bit of colour and be blinded.

It irritated it to the point where she was ready to leave.

Still, Lara plastered on her nicest - toothless - smile and prepared and served the coffee orders. One after the other, the normies treated her the same way, not even bothering to mask their distaste for her.

She served so many orders with a compulsory smile that her face began to hurt. The customers had not been nice. None smiled back at her save for a small girl whose mother immediately scolded her for it. None of them bothered to tip her and several had requested another waiter. She had been happy to oblige but it was not always possible.

It was nearing the end of the day when two girls walked in. Lara could practically smell the bigotry exuding from them through their pristine clothing and air-headed giggles.

They didn't even glance her way as they passed and sat at an empty table. It wasn't Lara's table but the other waiter had left and it was up to her now.

She internally cursed the day before adjusting her apron and approaching the table with a smile. "What can I get you guys?"

"I forgot it's Outreach Day." The one said with a slight eye roll. Her eyes trailed Lara's body from her face to her toes and back, her grimace growing with each second.

"How could you? These freaks are everywhere." The other replied and then turned to Lara. "I won't have my order taken by a vampire."

Lara missed Nevermore at that moment. Nobody treated her like this there.

She couldn't retaliate, even verbally to their abuse because of course she'd be in the wrong regardless. She pulled her lips up. "Well, I'm the only waitress available right now. You're more than welcome to leave if it's a problem." Her tone was light, she fought hard to keep it that way and to not pounce on them. They had no idea the amount of restraint it took every outcast to not react to the normies' sick comments.

The girls exchanged a glance and were making their way out of the booth a second later, ponytails swishing back and forth in time with their steps

The taller one gave her a once-over. "You should watch the attitude when you're on our side of town,"