Chapter Six

"So, Lara." The girl who sat in front of her that had never once spoken to her before leaned back. "Are you going to the Rave'N with Xavier?"

"No." She was quick to reply. "Why would you think that?" She hadn't spoken to him since their argument a day or two ago.

"You two do spend a lot of time together." The girl next to Lara chimed in.

"That doesn't mean anything. We're just friends." She hated busybodies. Neither of these girls had so much as looked at her before and now they were gossiping with her as though they were the best of friends.

"That's not what Enid's blog says."

"You're basing all this off of some gossip column? Give me a break." Lara rolled her eyes.

"Not just off that. He looks at you like a..."

"Lost puppy." The other one chimed in and they both erupted into giggles.

Lara didn't find it funny. She had to put an end to his ridiculous feelings before he actually got hurt. She glanced to where he sat and sure enough his eyes were fixated on her. He didn't look away when he saw her looking.

She had to tell him to stop.

She planned to do it that night at the Rave'N.

Xavier wasn't hard to find. In a red suit with a black tie, he complimented Lara's outfit.

It was a coincidence, but their classmates didn't think so. Lara received several comments about how she and her boyfriend matched perfectly.

Correcting them was futile if they were just going to continue anyway, so she ignored the comments.

Lara wore a floor-length crimson gown with a shimmering corset. Her hair was tied back in a bun that sat on her neck, decorated with specks of gold glitter.

She'd had the dress forever and it was finally a red and black-themed party. She'd spent years attending Rave'N dances with themes like seasons or fairytales. This was finally one she could dress properly for.

Lara didn't have a date - her own fault for being so unapproachable. Or perhaps Xavier's fault for acting like she belonged to him. The looks he sent her constantly were overwhelming; anybody could sense the tension and she was sure nobody wanted to get involved.

With no one to dance with, she headed for the punch bowl. As she had expected, Xavier followed.

"You look stunning." He said.

"Thank you... So do you. I mean, not stunning, handsome. You look handsome, Xavier." ." Lara never stuttered; she couldn't believe some boy dressed in a suit with his hair tied back and high cheekbones on display was having this effect on her.

He chuckled and poured some punch for himself. "Do you have a date?" He asked.

"No. Do you?"

He shook his head. Lara was happy about that, she didn't know how she might have reacted to a date of Xavier's.

She frowned - she was here to tell him to stop liking her, not to get mad if he had a date. It must have been the punch that was distracting her so terribly.

The music changed to a romantic song that Lara recognized as Eternity by Kip Tyler. She loved this song. It was the only song she'd listened to for a month about ten years ago when she had a roommate. The roommate had not taken kindly to the fixation on the song and moved out. It was pretty hilarious, Lara decided upon remembering how the girl had reacted.