2018: The Talk

I can't believe this is happening to me

I mean, I shouldn't care. I shouldn't be uncomfortable. It felt like a lifetime ago since we were alone together like this. So why on earth did I feel like running away?

"Dapat two rooms yung kinuha natin," I said.

"Fully booked na daw," he replied, dumping his bags by the closet and turning to me. "This was the only room available."

I sighed and sat on the edge of the bed, covering my face. "I'm sorry. Kasalanan ko 'to."

If only I ran fast enough, we wouldn't have missed the last bullet train to Kyoto. The rest of our friends were already inside the train and hindi na sila makalabas when they noticed we were left behind. Jesse was pissed, but he was relieved na kasama ko si Oliver.

"Thanks for staying behind," I murmured.

I felt Oliver sit beside me, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees. "I couldn't leave you alone – even if I wanted to."

Bakit ganun? It felt like he meant more to it than what we were talking about.

I brought my hands down and turned to face him, taking the chance that he was up close to study his handsome face. He still looked good and fresh, despite our slight panic in finding a place to spend the night kanina.

"Tumanda ka," I blurted out.

He snorted, but looked amused. "That's random."

"You really did!" I insisted. "You don't look like a bad boy with a gentle face anymore." I patted his shoulder proudly. "Mukha ka nang kagalang-galang."

Chuckling, he said, "Thanks."

I bowed. "You're welcome. Now, it's my turn." I stopped, and gestured eagerly to myself. "What changed with me?"

With eyes never leaving mine, he wore a small smile. But for some reason, I thought he looked somewhat sad. "Everything, and nothing."

I stared at him for what felt like forever, before laying back on the bed. "I forgot you liked talking in riddles nga pala."

"You used to like deciphering them."

"I used to like a lot of things."

He was quiet for a second or two, before saying, "Including me?"

I blinked before looking at him with wide eyes, medyo in disbelief that he was opening up that subject. Why here? Why now? Why at all?

"I never got over you, though," he added quietly.

My eyes widened even more at that, while my heartbeat accelerated like that first time he called me 'Angel.' Oh, my gosh. Did he just...? Nope. No, don't even go there.

"I think I'm gonna take a walk," I declared suddenly, as I got up and grabbed my thick coat from the chair near the coffee table. Hindi ako prepared for this.