15

Biana

"Well that was a bust," Fitz grumbled as they entered the Black Swan base.

"I was so sure that was Sophie," Keefe said, "Her emotions were strong and everything!"

Biana scoffed, "She didn't even look like Sophie. She had red hair. And freckles. Sophie doesn't have freckles."

"I've never met anyone else with such strong emotions," Keefe countered, "And it isn't hard to change appearances."

"Still," Biana said, "Sophie would've remembered us, right?"

She waited for an answer, but the room remained silent.

"What?" Biana asked.

"Well..." both Fitz and Keefe said in unison, Fitz turning to glare at Keefe as he finished, "Sophie did say she was forgetting things. So maybe..."

Biana shook her head, so violently that it made her dizzy.

"No," she protested, "That was not Sophie. Sophie's too strong for the Neverseen. She wouldn't ever let them hurt us. She would never side with them. Never."

"Well, just in case," Keefe decided, "We should keep an eye on those two. When Wraith gets back, we'll assign you and him-" he looked to Biana, "You two will follow them. If anything shady goes down, you report back immediately. Do not leave each others sides."

"You're forgetting one thing," Biana said. And Keefe raised an eyebrow, prompting her to explain.

"Wraith is gone."

"Not anymore," said a bone-chilling voice, and all three straightened to see a familiar floating cloak.

A small squeal escaped Biana, but she didn't mind as she rushed to hug him. She didn't care how awkward it was. Wraith was back. They had at least one adult on their side.

It felt like a huge win. They could do this. They had a lead. A chance. Something.

One big step towards bringing Sophie back-- from wherever she was.

//

A week later...

Biana's breath was shaky as she and Wraith trailed behind the two nameless figures. The red head and the mustached man with a stubble.

She'd never been on such an important mission before. Okay. She had. But this was double the pressure. Because all her friends' lives were on the line. Sophie's life was on the line. The Lost Cities. It all came down to how well she and Wraith did. Well, she did. Because Wraith was an adult. So he was bound to be amazing. Biana still needed to learn how to make all but her clothes disappear. That would be so cool!

Not now, Biana! she scolded herself, fantasies later. Later.

Her breath caught as she realized the pair had turned the corner.

"Let's go," Biana whispered to Wraith, whom she couldn't see because he was invisible. But they had imparters to communicate. And held wrists to ensure they wouldn't lose each other.

"I'll follow you," Wraith agreed.

//

Sophie POV

"I feel it again," Sophie warned Alvar. The mustached man beside Sophie's red head character nodded to confirm he'd heard. They kept their voices low, ensuring no one would overhear them.

Let's talk Telepathically. Sophie suggested. Our stalkers won't hear us.

Alvar gave another nod.