69

CHAPTER 69: Sophie

After she'd gone, Sophie just stood there. She watched the petals fall from the winding tree, admiring the spinning trunk that stood firm as pink leaves danced with the wind. Waves crashed against the cliff behind her, and Sophie seated herself among the emerging roots. It was as though they were planted specifically for her comfort.

Within just a day and a half, Sophie had woken with amnesia; nearly been exiled by the council; met her parents; learned that she'd betrayed her friends and everyone close to her; and finally, started a war between her friends. It was nice to finally catch a break.

In the distance, Sophie watched as the sun sunk beneath the horizon, turning the sky an orange-pinkish hue and the clouds tinted purple. One star, Sophie counted. Then two, three... As the sky grew darker, the stars grew brighter. Until finally, night had fallen. It was at this time Sophie decided to head back in Havenfield's direction, and jump back into the chaotic, messy thing called her life. Edaline and Grady would probably want to talk to her, not to mention the "Foxfire" thing Fitz had mentioned.

"Sophie," Edaline said, jumping up from her spot on the sofa. "Your meeting took longer than expected---is everything all right?"

"Yeah," Sophie answered. Aside from tearing my friend's apart, ruining relationships and causing an internal war between everyone, "Everything's great." She forced a smile onto her face as Edaline pulled her in for a hug.

"I'm glad. Everything's been so chaotic lately, I'm happy you've got friends to back you up." Sophie sucked in a breath, putting her guilt into the hug and squeezed her mother tighter.

"Yeah." It was all she could say, her mouth as if a cracking dam, the sad truth of the meeting ready to spill out if Sophie wasn't careful.

Edaline held firm to Sophie's shoulders as she pulled away. "That's good. You'll need them to get through Foxfire."

"Foxfire?" Fitz had mentioned the name before, and while it was somewhat familiar, she couldn't quite understand why.

"School," Edaline informed. "I know, it's too early. But Mr. Forkle thinks you've been gone far too long, and that we need to try and pretend things are normal for the rest of the world's comfort. We need to try and get things back to normal."

Sophie couldn't help but roll her eyes. "I may not have any memories to rely on, but something tells me there never was a 'normal'. At least not in my life."

"Fine, you've got a point there. But he also said this is for the rest of the world's comfort. People want to know they're safe, and Mr. Forkle hopes that you attending school again will reassure them."

"I have a hard time believing I leave that much an impact on people," Sophie said, and Edaline's smile brightened, painting her cheeks a warm pink. 

"You'd be surprised at how many people think otherwise." She stopped there, though Sophie felt there was something left unsaid. She didn't pry, however, instead choosing to steer the conversation back onto the important topic. 

"So, when does Foxfire start? And should I be worried?" 

"Day after tomorrow, and I promise: you have nothing to worry about. You've got your friends, right?" 

Sophie dug her nails into her palms. "Right." 

Edaline nodded, squeezing Sophie a final time before disappearing into her room and leaving Sophie to do the same. 

://

Once Sophie had ensured the door shut as quietly as possible, as not to disturb her parents, Sophie collapsed on her bed in a tired heap. She lay in a blanket of blackness, as the stars outside had been hidden behind a sheet of storm clouds and she hadn't bothered to turn on the lights.