46

Sophie 

A new power now thrummed beneath Sophie's veins, a constant pulse that fueled her with energy. Ever since she'd awoken, she hadn't felt the slightest bit groggy-- which Sophie had found surprising. After being drugged or sedated, Sophie usually felt very sleepy and slow. however, this was entirely different. Energy pulsed beneath her skin, and if Sophie so desired, she was convinced she could run an entire triathlon. Maybe two.

"Sophie," breathed a relieved voice, and Sophie turned her head to see Alvar, standing in the doorway. He made his way to her chair and threw his arms around her. And were those... tears in his eyes?

"Alvar? What's going on? Did something happen?" When Sophie thought back, she remembered agreeing to undergo some sort of experiment Gisela had planned. She remembered an... imposter, though he seemed to have left. Had something happened while she was out?

"Did something happen?" she asked Alvar, voicing her concerns. A sad smile spread across Alvar's features.

"Nothing," he replied, but Sophie wasn't convinced. Despite that, however, Sophie didn't pry. She trusted Alvar.

"Let's see if it worked," Gisela chimed in, wearing a wicked grin. Striding over to Sophie, Gisela took Sophie by the wrist and examined her. Her grin widened, and Sophie squinted to see what Gisela saw in the dim cave. Inhaling a sharp breath, Sophie noticed her veins. When she'd thought a power thrummed beneath her veins, she hadn't meant so literally as them turning a golden-purple. Was that even a color? Purple with golden tips on the sides. Her veins, once a dull blue-- almost invisible-- were now easy to see, nearly glowing through her skin.

"What does that mean?" Alvar asked.

"It means," Gisela practically sang, "it worked."

://

Sophie grunted as the dagger flew from her hand, landing dead center of the target before her.

"Well done," Fintan nodded, and Sophie smiled under his approving gaze. Alvar had been called on a mission with Puppeteer, so she was back with her mentor for training. It seemed like weeks since she'd trained with him, and Sophie was glad to be sharing some time with him.

"How's your wrist?" Fintan asked, his voice dismal as usual. Sophie dropped her stance and returned to his side as she examined her wrist. It still pulsed with the same purple-gold colors, but ever since she'd awoken from that nightmare, her wrist had become sore.

"Still hurts," Sophie noted, twisting her arm in a series of ways to test it. "But, I'll live. Besides, it's no worse than a bruise." She shook it violently for proof, breathing her way through the pain.

"Good," Fintan said, buying it. Sophie nodded, returning to the 'X' marked in the stone floor, and picked up another dagger. She was getting good at lying-- a trait every Neverseen member had to master. Lying was what determined how skilled a member was-- and whether or not they deserved to stay in the Neverseen. As Fintan had often taught her, lie about everything.

If you're near an enemy, let them think you're far. If you're far, let them think you're near. Be strong, act weak. Weak, act strong. It was an essential part of the Neverseen lifestyle, and one of the many reasons they always won.

Thwip! The dagger pierced the end of her former dagger, her aim as true as ever. Sophie grinned, turning back to Fintan in hopes of seeing his approval. However, he seemed to be distracted by something else.

"Fintan?" Sophie asked, and Fintan snapped his head up.

"Sophie," he said in his cold voice, "you promised you'd kill the Traitor for me. Correct?"