ıv

ynwa

for a fortnight, trent doesn't show up at the belrose boutique, and maisie feels a little sad. she has the impression she did something wrong last time, especially when she thinks about the way he left without saying a word. so immersed in her thoughts and the flowers she is readjusting on the displays, maisie doesn't have the presence of mind to hear footsteps stop behind her.

"what kind of flowers are these?" trent asks as he leans over her shoulder to take a closer look at the bouquet she's holding in her hands, a bouquet that quickly ends up on the ground after the stupor the man's gesture has produced in her. "shit, sorry, i didn't mean to scare you," trent apologizes and the girl picks up the bouquet, getting up at the speed of light.

"uh... chrysanthemums," maisie stammers as she adjusts her hair, still embarrassed that he startled her again.

it's then that she realizes how close they are as they stand facing each other. trent is wearing a multi-colored jumper that must be worth more than the entire shop, accompanied by a long black coat that only he could wear without looking ridiculous, and maisie finds herself even more intimidated by the man. he's not even that tall but the aura he exudes has a way of charming, especially the girl, who can feel her face turning all pink.

for her sake, she takes two small steps back and trent finally greets her as maisie does the same. a small silence ensues where neither of them knows what to say. to be honest, maisie didn't expect to see him again —his departure was so precipitous the last time.

"you came back," the woman simply says with a small smile.

"yeah, i needed a few days to get over the 'you too' thing," laughs trent, still a little embarrassed, and maisie nods to let him know it's nothing. scratching the back of his neck, he continues, "sorry about last time, i left a little fast but i was in a hurry and-"

maisie cuts him off rather quickly, "it's okay, i promise. it's all good."

to tell the truth, the young woman is relieved. he seems sincere in his apology so the fear that it was her fault he left so quickly fades away.

"can i have some white roses then, please?"

as she does every time he comes in, maisie nods and begins her preparations. always finding something to say while waiting for his bouquet to be ready, trent seems unusually quiet this morning, except when he begins to hear the first notes of 'you'll never walk alone' over the shop's speakers.

he wonders, "football fan?"

frowning, maisie is confused, "what?"

trent then proceeds to explain how the song is related to football and especially to the club liverpool.

"oh. my dad is a fan of that club, that's probably why we have that song on the playlist in the shop, he must have added it," she finds herself talking a lot because she's coming to the end of the bouquet but for some reason doesn't want to see trent leave already. "to be honest, i don't know anything about football."

the subject broached, trent straightens up and a smirk appears on his mouth without maisie noticing, "you don't even watch the english team play?"

she huffs and puffs, "i must have watched the final last summer, what was it again?" her memories are hazy, but she had only followed the match with one ear.

"the euro. it was against the italians," trent's words bring back the girl's memory and she lets out a little 'ah yes'.

"do you follow football a lot?" maisie asks so innocently to continue the conversation. trent looks tired behind his small eyes and drawn features —she thinks he is probably having a bad day.

"i think it's cool," he shrugs.

"i think i only know a few of the players on the england squad. like mark rashford, harry keen and, and... and that's it really," she gives a little sorry pout.

her last sentence finally triggers a flash of hilarity in trent, and some of the tension in his shoulders disappears. really, the young man doesn't seem to be himself this morning. maisie smiles at his beautiful laugh, and inwardly applauds herself for having managed to cheer him up —even if she doesn't understand what's so funny.

"it's marcus, not mark and harry kane, not keen," trent corrects her once his laughter has subsided and he can pronounce his words clearly.

maisie's face immediately flushes and she doesn't dare to look the man in the eye anymore. finally, she bursts out laughing too. the situation is quite comical after all, her football knowledge is close to nothing.

"i didn't ask you last time, but why did you stop your studies? well, if it's not too indiscreet," he clears his throat, hoping he hasn't made a blunder, but when she hands him the bouquet with a reassuring smile, his widens with a relieved sigh.

"law school was too much pressure. i think it was definitely not for me. nothing particularly interesting, though."

but trent turns his head negatively, "i don't agree. it's good that you realized that early on. besides, florist suits you better, i think," he inquires and something in his deep voice makes her blush, forcing her to look away.

"thank you," maisie stammers, her cheeks flushing.

they look at each other for a long time, smiling, just separated by a counter and windows full of flowers of all kinds. the radio continues to play the same music in the background, and they seem to be caught up in another world, a dimension where time is suspended. trent suddenly opens his mouth, as if to say something, but is interrupted by the ringing of the bell and the doors opening.

"i've got to go," he murmurs, and grabs his bouquet in a hurry, "i'll be late for work."

with the will to ask him back what he does for a living, she doesn't even have time: trent is already out. so charmed, she doesn't notice the excited whispering of the boy in the red shirt tugging at his mother's jacket.

— notes.

-allezblues sent me thisyesterday and we both found it crazy so i need to share it here with you guys😭

yesterday and we both
found it crazy so i need
to share it here with you
guys😭

merry christmas🫶🏻