epilogue

la vie en rose

in indescribable amazement, trent watches the shocked look on maisie's face after his more or less surprising confession seconds earlier. the astonishment is so great that she stops on the pavement, mouth wide open and eyebrows furrowed. a frank laugh from trent echoes in the liverpool summer air and he holds out his hand for her to grasp with her left; her right hand is too busy holding a bouquet of pink roses between her fingers.

in three years, a lot has changed, except for the daily bouquets that trent continues to offer her.

"say it again," maisie breathes out, denying his hand, still shaken by her lover's admission who looks at her with a smile on his face.

he takes a deep breath before shoving his hands into his pockets and shaking his head, "the first time i came to buy a bouquet of white roses, it was indeed for my mother. it was her birthday. but in reality, the next few times, it was just an excuse to see you."

maisie's face twists further before she asks almost violently, "but what did you do with the bouquets then? it's forbidden to throw flowers," she points a threatening finger at the man and trent has to admit that for a split second, she almost succeeds in scaring him.

"no, i would never throw flowers," trent raises his hands innocently, "but then it became a habit to give flowers to my mother. she was happy, and so was i, because it allowed me to see you."

a satisfied expression finds its way to her face and she takes the opportunity to let out a tender smile at the boy's words. if one thing hasn't changed in three years too, it's the gentleness he shows.

as they had not moved for a few minutes, even though they were ten meters away from the front door of their house, maisie finally decides to put her legs in motion and joins trent, who slips his hand into hers at the same time. walking through the front door, the woman lets herself slump down on the couch, breathing out.

"you know, it's not good for a pregnant lady, sudden confessions like that," maisie caresses her more than rounded belly with both hands after dropping the bouquet at her side with a yawn.

trent laughs as he hangs up his coat, which he had just taken off, and hurries to join his girlfriend at her side, almost immediately bringing his face close to his still unborn child.

"i can't believe you waited until we recreated our first date to tell me that, three years later. it's so long!" she almost exclaims, still as astonished as ever, and trent, who's tracing random shapes on her bare skin where he's pulled up her shirt, doesn't stop a smile from creasing his cheeks.

it was trent's idea: to take maisie to their very first restaurant together, giving her a bouquet of pink roses and kissing her endlessly under that starry night, just like three years ago. there are many reasons why he had this urge; love being the first. but also, liverpool has just won the premier league, the woman of his life is carrying a little one in the pit of her stomach who will soon call him daddy and trent is happy.

he finds that enough to justify his action —although there is no need to do so in the first place anyway.

"it was the perfect occasion," he replies simply and maisie gives him a dirty look that trent tries to take seriously, but to no avail, laughing instead.

"and he's laughing, can you hear him rose?" the woman addresses her stomach directly, her daughter.

since the two parents-to-be had learned the sex of their baby and it had turned out to be a she, her name had been a given. rose. it was soft, and tender, it sounded perfect to the ear and it was because of these flowers that maisie and trent had met; the question had not even arisen. her name will be rose.

the man laughs and passing his arm over maisie's body, he pulls out a pink rose from the bouquet and presents it to the florist's belly before murmuring with a smile, "look, it's you."

letting out a tender laugh, maisie wraps one of her hands around trent's cheek and caresses it gently. the man then looks up at her and when he sees the woman's loving smile, a similar one spreads across his mouth.

with the rose still clasped in his fingers, trent brings it to his beloved's ear and places it behind it, taking the opportunity to kiss her with disconcerting passion.

a flurry of butterflies breaks out in the woman's lower abdomen, like those of three years ago.

breaking away a little and admiring the view it offers him, trent smiles with all his teeth as he watches maisie's cheeks turn the same colour as the flower petals in her hair, and once again sticks his lips to hers.

in three years, too, he hasn't tired of the taste of her mouth.

"i love you, and you're going to be the greatest mom in the world," he whispers, tucking some stray strands of hair back behind his ear, and maisie returns the favour by kissing him harder.

with a loving sigh and as he gently breaks away from her, trent thinks to himself that since he has chosen maisie —the most perfect woman in his eyes— to be by his side for the rest of his life, he can only see one thing: la vie en rose.

!end of la vie en rose!

— notes.
thank you? i don't even know how to put into words all the love i've received through this fic over the last few days, so thank you.

we've almost reached 7k in just one week which is pretty crazy, i still can't believe it.

this was my first time writing a short story and i have to say, it's really nice because i've experienced something completely different from my other books. the chapters are shorter, the details aren't as necessary as in longer fiction and as a result, it ends much quicker.

i'm aware that the story is full of clichés but i really liked the idea so i hope i managed to convey the sweetness of this book through my words as i had imagined it <3

i think i'm going to concentrate more on finishing my jude bellingham fic now (which i'm also very fond of) but if i ever have another idea that comes up one night and i think i can turn it into a nice short story, then why not? :)

i hope that during this new year you will try to see
la vie en rose🌹

i love you guys,
cass💐🌻🌷