xıı

gossip

"i suppose you had a good evening," a female voice rises in the air and maisie snaps out of her thoughts. it's margaret who has called out to her with a small smile on her lips.

the woman frowns as she turns her head towards the shop owner, who is sitting on a stool in front of the counter. since margaret arrived half an hour ago, she has been doing the month's accounts, giving her little glances accompanied by mischievous smiles. maisie didn't understand until now, and her grandmother's falsely innocent tone makes her even more puzzled. she continues to prepare a customer's bouquet, trying to look as detached as possible.

"why?"

"you've had stars in your eyes and a smirk on your face since you arrived," margaret raises her eyebrows, a mischievous expression on her face, "i'm sure it's not mrs. anderson's drivel that's got you in such a state. so how was your date?"

maisie feels herself blushing as she thinks back on her evening. she had an amazing time with trent, the best date in the history of dating. while she used to rave about romance shows all the time, maisie had no idea that the real prince charming wore shorts and shin guards every weekend. now, she is sure that it is not just a crush, but surely much more.

"just perfect," maisie smiles, her cheeks flushed.

"so you'll see each other again soon?"

"he's picking me up tonight," maisie admits, looking down at her hands in embarrassment.

"wow," margaret hisses, impressed, before laughing, "you guys are pretty fast, aren't you."

now that she points it out, it is true that they were slightly hasty in their actions. maisie didn't even know what trent's job was the day before, and there are probably billions of things she doesn't know about him yet. however, she has already kissed him dozens of times —it even seems that all the barriers have come down between them. it should be scary, but strangely enough, maisie is more than serene.

immediately looking up at her grandmother with a worried pout, maisie questions her, "do you think it's wrong?"

"no," margaret shakes her head without breaking her benevolent smile, "if you like each other and want to build something stable together, i don't see why it should be. you have time to get to know each other well."

the corners of her mouth turn up at the thought that she already knows trent well enough to know that she wants to embark on a relationship with him. he's nervous about everything, he buys her and her mother beautiful bouquets, drives carefully and always keeps both hands on the wheel. but those are just details because the thing that matters most to maisie is knowing that his heart is pure and that he shows a kindness and thoughtfulness that shakes her to the core.

"i'm really happy for you love," margaret resumes with a wink.

"thank you," a laugh escapes maisie's lips, still euphoric from the previous evening.

her thoughts wander to trent and his lovely dimples that deepen when the girl is a little too beautiful for him. maisie probably never thought she'd feel these emotions in her entire life, but it seems that there are many more waiting for her since she decided to get close to the boy. she couldn't wait if it meant lots of roses, smiles and kisses.

maisie then thinks of the bewildered look on her father's face when he finds out that his daughter is dating one of his favourite club players. she can't wait to introduce him but on the other hand, although the two new lovers aren't the most patient when it comes to taking things one step at a time, maisie doesn't want to rush things. preferring to wait until she is sure that trent is serious and really wants something stable with her, the meeting with her parents would come later.

margaret has already met the boy despite herself, but maisie has promised herself that she will reintroduce them properly; her grandmother deserves it after hearing her talk for hours about this mysterious stranger she had fallen for, but especially about ava.

the laughter that margaret had let loose in the shop after her granddaughter had shamefully revealed to her that ava was none other than the boy's mother had surely awakened the whole neighbourhood. openly mocking her, maisie had ended up laughing in unison with the elderly woman.

"see, i told you he liked you," her usual wink had confirmed her words and maisie had bitten her lip and smiled.

because maisie also likes trent, a lot.

— notes.
margaret's the real
gossip🤭🤭