Chapter Two

Making our way through the archway, I begin to see the beauty of the cavern's appearance shift from the natural feel I saw in the larger chamber, to a more man-made sort of look.

I reach out with my hand to feel the intricate carvings on the walls. Scenes of monstrous tsunamis, wildfires, and winds tearing mountains apart astound me with their superb artwork.

I stumble as an intense force collides with my spine, pushing me forward.

"We don't have all day! We're on a tight schedule that you had better mind, or next time I won't be so gentle." Her last sentence was said in dangerously low tones. I don't doubt that she would make good on her claim. But it does make me wonder where the supportive woman I had gotten to know only moments ago had gone.

I hurry along these dark torchlit hallways (jogging this time) and begin to wonder where exactly my stubbornness has taken me. When out of the corner of my eye. I catch a glimmer of light approaching rapidly from the oncoming section of the tunnel.

In anticipation, I begin to go even faster.

I release a gasp of surprise when I am rewarded with the most beautiful view I've had the privilege to behold,and a lengthy one at that. I come to find that the very hall I walk is built into the side of a rocky ledge of a mountainside. I find a clear sky, with other mountains, presumably part of the same range as the one I stand, framing the surreal picture of a million twinkling stars and shifting lights and colors shifting across the canvas of sky before me.

Unfortunately, the magical scene lasts only for an instant as I tear my eyes away from the window to another world and plunge back into the darkness lit by flame.

I begin to wonder, why would this, Queen, Conradina, whatever, why would she want anything to do with me? I mean, this sort of thing probably occurs all the time right? People getting taken by monsters that is.

Wait. I stop jogging to contemplate what I've just realized.

"What is wrong with you?!" Sandra hurries up to my trembling figure. "Do you not realize how much worse this will be for the both of us if we're late? I mean truly..."

"You never can tell the whole truth, can you Sandra?" I blurt the question before I can fully process what I am saying.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. That whole time we were talking, you never explained what the monster was that took Ellie, where she is, what kind of trouble I've gotten her into, or anything generally concerning the whole situation. Even though you knew that's what I was most anxious about."

Sandra scoffs at me and rolls her startling, dark brown eyes, "You're being childish Lacie. Let's go." She begins to stride off, but not before I take hold of her forearm and twist it, to prevent her from leaving. She's not the only one who can play rough.

"We are not abandoning this conversation, and you will tell me what I want to know now. Not only do you owe me, but we are also about to come before your Conradina, right? Aren't you the one always telling me to keep my confidence in speech and stature? That would be awfully hard to do without the proper information." I'm using the same lesson I learned in the alleyway, you have to speak her language if you want her to treat you anywhere near to an equal.

Before I can even begin the next part of my accusations, I find myself flipping through the air and slamming into the cold stone floor.

"Never start a fight you can't finish Lacie, It will always come back to bite." I can't breathe, and my eyes water, but no tears come.

In a matter of seconds (though it felt like an agonizing hour for me) the pressure is removed and I'm free to stand once more. I rub the areas on my arms where she had pinned me as Sandra pinches the bridge of her nose, muttering what I assume is Aspidan profanity.