Chapter Four

I'm so dead.

The boy looks up from the piano, startled. His green eyes widen as his mind catches up to the reality of the situation. He opens his mouth, presumably to question me, but I'm already gone, racing down the long hall toward Naomi on the other end.

"Well then, there's the twerp! C'mon, we've..."

"Yes, yes, of course, training, I haven't forgotten. Let's go!" I don't have time for a lecture. I need to get out of here!

Naomi races down the hall to catch up with my racing figure, but found no luck as I strained to remember the path to the training room. All I want to do is get back to training so that I can forget my embarrassment.

My plan works pretty well, except for the fact that I have to deal with Naomi criticizing me with every exercise. There is no doubt in my mind that the girl hates me to the core.

Thankfully, the torture does come to an end.

"I suppose we should end here. Though we shall have to make up for your lack of commitment tomorrow afternoon." Naomi takes the last bite of her mac-n-cheese dinner.

I set down my spoon in my bowl, "Sounds fantastic." I am far too tired, physically and emotionally, to argue with her or acknowledge her comment. So, instead, I allow the irritating girl to lead me to my room and slam the door behind her.

I plop down on a small chaise near the wardrobe. My mind is racing. One thing is clear, I cannot stay here much longer. Naomi seems insistent on training me without giving me any real answers or information. Just the thought of her smug smirk sends my blood boiling. Chances are, she won't decide to become helpful anytime soon.

I need to take matters into my own hands.

With the idea solidified in my mind, I arise from my thoughtful position to search for supplies, anything that might help me find and survive the Keres stronghold and rescue Ellie.

A flexible pair of boots found among the many identical sandals, a change of day clothes, and a thin sheet to carry it all.

This is it. It's time.

It takes everything in me to take the first steps out the door. Those small, shaky steps feel enormous. However, once I get going down the hall, it gets easier and easier to move on.

This should be simple enough, the halls may twist more than normal, and they may make me feel slightly turned around, but I can do this. I have to. For her.

So my escapade begins. Weaving through the confusing halls puts a damper on my forced optimistic attitude.

I continue to find myself in new scenery, over and over, until I feel about as optimistic as a pessimist.

I pause at the end of my search, and myself. A small garden kept on one of the many ledges of the mountainside. Unlike the rest of the palace, this area is lush and green, filled to overflowing with the most beautiful flowers and topiary consuming the sides of the path. At the end of the path, I find beautiful reflective pools with pond lilies dotting the surface.

I'm tired. So, so tired. I drop onto one of the large stones surrounding the pools, grateful for the moment of rest it gives.

Staring into my rippled reflection, I study the girl staring back. Disheveled hair, shadowed aqua eyes, I can't believe the face is my own. Look at this mess of a person, held together by only my drive to find Ellie, but even that is a lie. Who is responsible for her capture? I know that answer full well.

Without my permission, tears stream like a river down my face.

I have to shove the thought deep down, I have to keep it contained. At least until I find Ellie, otherwise I'll never stay strong enough to face what's ahead.