Chapter 3

The red-light district; a place of forbidden pleasures.

Before being abandoned, Renjiro's mother would tell him never to go inside the red district. Renjiro once asked his mother what was in there that made it forbidden to enter; she never answered him. Now, he walked through a large red gate and bridge, and once through the gates, he felt like going to another world.

The red district looked like a beautiful mini-city, even more beautiful than Yoshiwara. It was a miniature city that was guarded by stone walls that were painted red. Many buildings had different shades of bright colors: red, yellow, white, and orange, which shone with the sun. There were a few banners, posters, and stone statues of feminine and masculine erotic in different parts of the streets and buildings of the red-light district. Renjiro kept looking around and noticed that in the four corners of the district, there were miniature parks. In the miniature parks, there were sakura blossoms with small ponds and small gardens.

The young lad was in awe of the district; a soft gust of wind made the Sakura petals flow, making him feel like paradise. Walking through the streets, he noticed men and women with kimonos sitting by see-through sliding doors. Renjiro asked Matsuzo why many women were sitting by the sliding doors and who they were waiting for. "They wait for those who desire pleasure."

This young boy was confused about what Matsuzo meant but continued forward. Renjiro felt that the red-light district was endless until Matsuzo stopped in front of a large building that was more beautifully colored and designed. It was made of wood painted red, brown, and black; the bottom portion of the building was made of stones. Renjiro was mesmerized by the building that he thought was a palace. "It's a theater where Kabuki actors perform. We perform music, songs, poems, and dances. A priestess first made Kabuki, but men have taken over the profession." Matsuzo knelt at Renjiro's level. "I have given you your first gift, a new name. This is another gift I will give you, a choice."

"A choice?"

"Yes. One choice is to walk through those doors and be given a new life, a life as a Kabuki actor. You will undergo rigorous training to be an actor, and your identity will change occasionally. You will also go through many hardships, but the rewards are great. Or you can go back through those gates and return to your old life, not knowing your future. It will be up to you."

Renjiro had to make the biggest life decision at such a young age. If he went back through those gates, he would return to the uncertainty. His father is dead; his mother left him alone to be with another man and possibly create another family. He could die any day and time. Renjiro looked at the beautiful building and imagined the life he could have. He would never go hungry again.

Matsuzo rose and motioned out his hand. "I see you made your choice. Come with me, and I will ensure you become the greatest Kabuki actor."

That was fourteen years ago.

Memories flashed back to him when he walked through the theater doors. Renjiro entered another world. There was one path that led to the theater. There was a stage with much space for the viewers. The interior was beautifully designed with many banners and paintings of actors; the walls were made of beautifully painted wood; torches lit the interior, making it glow. At the back of the stage, many paths led to rooms for costumes, a kitchen, hot springs, and Kabuki actors' rooms. He remembered his meal: fish, rice, miso soup, and vegetables. Renjiro will never forget the taste after making his choice. 

He met many Kabuki actors, and many were handsome. Some were welcoming, while others looked at him as a mere nuisance. There were also young boys like him who were either orphans or sold by their parents. 

Throughout the years, Matsuzo and other actors trained him and the other boys' body movements when one danced or acted in different characters. A Kabuki actor had to move in a feminine or masculine manner. Some actors had male roles, while others had feminine roles; the boys were trained for both. The boys also were able to wear different kimonos of both genders to practice their movements and voice.

Renjiro was seen as a natural and found he had a talent for acting. He would practice whenever he was done with his chores and other duties. All his practice paid off as he gained the approval of many actors and the theater owner in charge of them. Matsuzo also helped him gain notoriety. When Renjiro was twelve, he got his first part, a silent part that required many movements. At fifteen, he got another role in singing poems and stories; he entranced the audience. His voice and appearance earned him the love and respect of the audience; Renjiro became popular at his current age of twenty-four.

The theater became Matsuzo's when the owner died. Matsuzo was also a respectable actor, but because of him, he found Renjiro, who became famous. Renjiro rose through the ranks and was given many essential parts. Now, he stood behind the curtain as a young adult man; he heard the audience cheer and call out for him. His face was filled with white makeup; his lips were painted red, and his black hair was long; a white wig covered that. He wore a bright orange kimono with a dragon design.

The curtains opened.

"Yooooo!"