Chapter 9

Surprisingly, rain fell from the night skies until morning arrived. When the rain stopped, mild fog surrounded the city of Yoshiwara. Drips of leftover rain echoed outside the theater building. Renjiro, however, enjoyed hearing the sound of rain and its aftermath. He almost found it a blessing and ironic that the heavens sent their calming remedy to help Renjiro soothe from what had happened in the previous events with Yoshitiro. The actor was so confused and irritated that he couldn't sleep all night. He was lying on his tatami bed as he looked up at the ceiling. Yoshitiro plagued his thoughts. "There is something you lack."

The samurai's words echoed in the actor's thoughts, and he massaged the sides of his head. "Grr! I lack something? I am the best kabuki actor in Yoshiwara; men and women desire me and my skill." He saw a shadow behind the sliding doors. 

"Renjiro-sama, may I enter?"

The young man cleared his throat. "You may." Renjiro sat up as Otomatsu entered. 

The young boy bowed before entering his mentor's room. "I prepared your bath and ensured I gave you the warmest water since the morning is cold. Is there clothing you wish to wear?"

"No, anything will suffice. Thank you, Otomatsu-kun." He walked toward the small onsen of the theater. Once inside, there was no one in sight. Renjiro undressed and entered the hot water; he sighed as the water touched his body. Otomatsu entered shortly with Renjiro's clothing in hand and a wooden bucket of fragrances, herbs, and a sponge. He sat behind his mentor and handed Renjiro some herbs and fragrances. "You were superb in yesterday's performance, Renjiro-sama. I hope to one day have your talent and follow in your footsteps." Renjiro didn't answer as he was busy scrubbing himself with the herbs and fragrances. The boy noticed that his mentor was trance-like; his black eyes looked empty. "Renjiro-sama are you well?"

This made the young man get out of his thoughtful gaze. "Hm? Did you say something?"

"I just commented on your superb performance last night, Renjiro-sama. I mentioned that one day, I hope to follow in your footsteps."

Renjiro smiled as he laid his back on the stone wall of the bath. "Will you wash my hair, please?" The boy nodded as he got herbs, put them in a small wooden bowl of warm water from the bath, and then poured some water on his long black hair. Otomatsu got a wooden comb and began to brush Renjiro's wet hair. "After your bath, Matsuzo-sama wishes to speak with you."

"Of course." He let Otomatsu finish washing and combing his hair. "You may leave. Please ask Sugimori if he would go to my chamber and have breakfast with me."

"I will do so. I will also have your breakfast done before your meeting with Matsuzo-sama is done." The boy left his mentor alone in his bath. Renjiro sighed as he stood from his bath, dried, and dressed himself. When done, the young man went toward Matsuzo's quarters. He knew his mentor would ask him about his night with the samurai. Upon arrival, he saw Matsuzo feeding the fish in a pond in his garden.

Matsuzo looked up and saw his pupil. "Ah, Renjiro-san! Ohayo!"

"Ohayo, Matsuzo-sama. I am surprised that you are awake early."

"Indeed, I couldn't sleep after another successful performance." Matsuzo dropped the last bits of fish food into the pond. "I couldn't stop thinking about your meeting with the samurai. I'll admit that he's a handsome one."

The actor looked at the flowers in the garden. He didn't want to tell his master what happened during their meeting. Renjiro believed that Matsuzo would begin doubting his skill; he couldn't allow that. "We have spoken about many things, and he asked me to play the shamisen for him."

"And?"

"He said he was impressed with my skill. However, he was seldom looking and spoken; I couldn't get much emotion from him."

Matsuzo looked at his pupil. "Is that all? Did he speak about becoming your patron?"

"He did not. I believe we have a challenge on our hands."

The older man chuckled. "It would seem so. I heard that Yoshitiro is one of the most powerful samurai in Yoshiwara and the richest. We can't let this one go so easily."

Renjiro nodded as he gently touched a flower, looking at its beauty. "He did say that he would return in three days."

"Ah, so you have intrigued him! If you didn't, then he wouldn't have wanted to return! No one can resist you, Renjiro-san. Well, I should not keep you from your breakfast. I will meet with Sugimori-san regarding his work. I am hoping to use one of them for a play."

"I am going to have breakfast with him. It would do good to know what I might play in the future early."

"Very well, when you both are done, tell him to meet me in quarters."

Renjiro nodded and bowed to his master and went back to his room. Once inside, he saw Sugimori sitting by a long wooded table with small bowls and plates of food; he was writing. "Sugimori-san, I'm happy you accepted my invitation."

Sugimori looked up, and he put the papers down beside him. "Renjiro-san, Ohayo! Thank you for the invite. If you haven't, I would be glued to my work and forget eating." Renjiro sat beside Sugimori; they said their thanks and began eating. Sugimori glanced at his friend, who looked thoughtful. "Are you well? I heard you met with a samurai."

"Word travels."

"Indeed they do. Something troubles you; it's in your eyes. Tell me, my friend. Everything you say will stay between us."

Renjiro finished chewing a piece of egg. "He was quiet and mysterious. I would also say prideful."

"Well, samurai are strong warriors; it's unsurprising. However, there is something else that is troubling you. Is it something he said?"

"Nothing seems to escape you." The actor sighed. "He asked me to play the samisen, and when I finished, he said that I lacked something."

The writer took a small sip of his tea. "And that troubles you. I saw your performance, and you played it with skill." Sugimori cut a piece of his fish. "Maybe he is the type of man that looks beyond the skill."

This confused the actor. "Meaning?"

"I can see why the samurai said what he did."

Renjiro felt his heart beating in anxiety and irritation. "What is that you see that he sees!? Tell me!?"

Sugimori shook his head. "I am sorry, my friend. It would be best if you found out yourself. If I told you, then you will never fully understand. I will say this; he didn't mean it in a bad way."

This made the actor thoughtful. Sugimori knew the answer but refused to tell him. He had to figure it out himself. Yoshitiro will see him again in three days; he felt nervous. "Matsuzo-sama wants you to meet him after you finish your breakfast."

Sugimori smiled. "Thank you. Also, don't fret; I will guide you to finding the answer."