6

This…This was a new experience to say the least.

Shirou glanced left, then right, then slowly back to center, doing his best not to react from the fingers poking him from time to time in thinly veiled bewilderment. A depression was forming on his cheek that was being pressed against, before the offending digit in question rapidly retreated as if burned.
"Elf?" The very person who'd just poked him tilted his head in confusion before crossing his arms and saying something, but it wasn't as if he could understand him.
He glanced at the elf in question who shied away in embarrassment with a low grunt. This elf wasn't the only one because the other elves nearby also felt the same shame at their actions. However, that didn't mean that they would stop.
Emboldened by his lack of reaction, the others around him gathered their courage and started poking him again.
Honestly, he'd brought this on himself when he'd agreed to let them sate their curiosity. Ever since Waver had left to gather more magi to reconstruct the damaged elven village, he'd been without a translator.
He was presently still in the room where the elven leader had hosted a small banquet. None of the other elves from earlier had left yet either. Most were enraptured by him, and he had no clue as to why.
In the short time he'd spent with the elves, he'd grown accustomed to simple phrases like 'yes,' 'no,' and 'maybe.' The phonics of their language oddly sounded similar to his own, so he was learning fast. Of course, that didn't mean he was proficient in any way.
Therefore, when the elves had asked him a question, or permission in this case, to sate their curiosity over some matter he had no idea of, he'd nodded his head.
Fast forward a couple minutes, and now here he was like a defenceless dog being petted incessantly by an over eager crowd. It was not something he felt like he wanted to experience again.
One older elf warrior suddenly drew near. She wore skirt of brown fur and an open leaf tunic that left her midriff exposed to reveal tanned skin likely from an active lifestyle under the sun. A bow was slinged over her shoulder near her hunting quivers, and like all elves, she carried an otherworldly sort of beauty. Was it innocence? Or because they looked exceedingly pure in manner and speech? Even the elf's moderately sized breasts, though exposed on the top and bottom due to the nature of their clothing, didn't come off as indecent or immoderate.
The sight itself would likely be provocative if she wore it to any human settlement nearby, and likely make her uncomfortable. Yet here in the elven village, none of the other elves seemed to mind at all. In fact, they viewed it as normal.
It was only when viewed from a human perspective that it suddenly becomes tempting, and that realization was kind of daunting.
Regardless, he kept his composure right up until she walked right up to him and sniffed him. He shuddered involuntarily as he felt her warm breath wash over his skin before she pulled back while humming in thought.
"He smells of nature."
Shirou couldn't interpret what the ardent expression on the elf's face meant, but he felt a shiver go down his spine when he recognized signs of amorousness. Shown on the noble-like face of the elven warrior, and anyone would have swooned because it possessed none of the emotions like lust or avarice. Instead, there was only a yearning to connect and facilitate a genuine relationship that could last for a life time. After all, elves lived as long as the trees. Once they chose a partner, they would never remarry.
"A child born of spring. A union with him may bring blessings from the forest upon us and our children."
The older even warrior nodded to herself while informing the others of her discovery. Uproar and astonishment came next in equal measure. Everyone was excited in one way or another, and Shirou found himself once more being poked. This time, it was less akin to a dog being overenthusiastically petted, and more akin to touching a religious object for favour.
"The dragon brought ruin to our village, but in ruin now comes providence."
"But he's human, right? Or is he?"
The elves all frowned, and this time, and elderly elf with wrinkled brows and frail looking hands stepped forward. The elder had grey hair, and deep wisdom in his green eyes.
Shirou didn't know what was happening, but the elder raised his hands and invoked a strange incantation that provoked a reaction from the forest itself. Motes of green light like fireflies swelled up from all around and converged over the elder's gaze.
The elder's stare never left Shirou for a solid minute before the lights began to die down.
"The spirits can't measure his lifespan, but what human can live for more than five hundred years? The spirits say he feels like the forest and of the earth, and will exist until his day of passing or the world's end. A child born of spring indeed, and one of you intends to court him? This elder will support you in all endeavors- no; the entire village will ensure it."
The older elven warrior suddenly grew shy as all gazes focused on her, and she shrank back. Coincidently, a red faced Tuka was pushed forward by a pair of sly friends in the place the older elven warrior had been previously.
"Go! Tuka, fight on! You said he was cute when he rescued you, so you can't lose to big sis Caila!"
"No, wait you guys, why?!"
The elder had bad eye sight, but still nodded fervently at the actions of Tuka's friends.
By this point, Shirou was only growing more and more confused. This language barrier was proving too much of a problem.
"But isn't he human? There's no way a human could feel like an elf!"
The elderly elf considered the statement given, and found no faults with it. It was indeed true that short-lived humans who weren't too attuned to nature, couldn't possibly be favoured.
The fact that Shirou felt like an elf was perhaps the largest factor to explain the elves treatment towards him. He felt like one of their own, smelled like one of their own, and the spirits of the forest practically surround him at all times.
In truth, none of the elves present really thought him to be a human at this point, and instead, an elf with peculiar circumstances. Still, it was better to make sure.
"Let's ask the grand elder to bring him to the elder tree. If he can draw close to it, it will prove he's an elf!"
"What a grand idea! What are we waiting for? Tuka, Caila show him the way while we inform the grand elder."
Both elves in question sputtered with mixed feelings, but it was indeed true that the presence Shirou exuded was both comforting and warm. This was the same for all elves whose favourability with Shirou was inexplicably compatible.
Shirou watched with thinly veiled doubt as a nervous Tuka and forcibly composed Caila began using hand gestures asking him to follow them. At first, it took him a moment to understand, but when Caila began walking and made a 'come hither' motion, it became fairly straight forward.
He considered his options. On one hand, he'd just finished helping the elves clean up debris from the Dragon attack prior to being subject to curious prodding, and on the other hand, he was still waiting for Waver to return.
Thinking to himself that there was nothing wrong in exploring around, he got up and decided to follow.
Caila led from the front, and Tuka trailed from the back, sneaking glances while his attention was directed forward.
The elves who had left earlier before Tuka and Caila began guiding him returned with word of approval from the grand elder.
With permission granted, Caila and Tuka didn't waist time idling their pace and directly headed in the direction of the elder tree of the elf village.
Shirou, not knowing what was being said, and with no idea of what trials awaited him, remained nonchalantly spectating the design of the elven village not burned down by the dragon.
As he was led deeper and deeper into the forest, the outline of the elven village began to recede and was replaced instead by the sight of an ancient white tree even larger than the one where the banquet was held.
Parts of the tree appeared withered and baren as if in the middle of fall. There were no leaves, spindles, or dense growth of moss along the ivory bark, but there was this sense of life around it that contrasted with its appearance. It seemed to embody the concept of 'life in death.'
There were many strange things to be understood in this new world, the most basic of which had to do with the fact that the Age of the Gods had yet to end. The nuances of this concept meant that the intricacies involving supernatural events of divine nature couldn't possible be predicted or understood by modern magi standards.
As they neared the tree, Tuka and Caila grew solemn in their expressions and showed reverence. It was precisely because of this tree that the elves prospered in a place bereft of general civilization.
There was a thin sheen of light around the tree that both Tuka and Caila passed through without any discomfort or resistance. They beckoned him to follow again, a hint of anticipation and curiosity in their eyes.
From Shirou's perspective, the tree's light was almost welcoming, if not increasingly pleasant.
"████│┐├╝╦╒║╡╬?"
Shirou could hear garbled words whispering in a language beyond mortal understanding. There was something there, something beckoning; a longing that couldn't be described.
Under Tuka and Caila's watchful eyes, Shirou found himself stepping forward into the sheen of light, and when he touched it, it felt as if he was once more in the presence of his Saber. More specifically, the familiarity of her radiance and presence.
Avalon stirred from within him, and suddenly, the light green barrier shifted into a magnificent gold with him as the origin, taking both Caila and Tuka aback. That's exactly when it happened.
Leaves bloomed upon the barren elder tree, vibrant and exuding a warm light that extended out into the entire forest. All at once they rustled and swayed, creating a breeze that blew over Shirou's skin and flittered over his ears.
Jumbled words, incomprehensible abruptly became clear.
The image of a dignified elf wearing a laurel of reeds appeared in his mind. The name Arendel followed soon after.
["Worthy child blessed by the Fae. I pick you."]
The leaves of the elder tree shattered into fragments of green light that congregated towards Shirou and formed a mantle of birch leaves over his shoulders.
Tuka and Caila gawked openly, their elven magic allowing them to feel the life energy swelling around the entire forest. Immediately, the other elves felt the change and moved towards the elder tree.
All of them ended up seeing Shirou standing there dumbly trying to process what Avalon had just done, and this was precisely when the elves gave the alert of Waver's return. At the same time, a group of two people with animal-like features also made their presence known.
Shirou had the distinct feeling that things had just become a lot more complicated.
Shirou met up with Waver by the entrance of the elven village followed by an entourage of elves with stars in their eyes. Many were whispering fervently, and it was with an odd confusion that he realized that he could understand their language now.
"He's the elder tree's appointee. D-Doesn't that mean he ranks even above the grand elder?"
"Quiet. The village elder has already personally asked for the grand elder's instructions."
"Caila, Tuka! This old man and the entire village will support you regardless of anything. Don't let this chance at providence slip!"
From behind him, Caila and Tuka who were silently since the events at the elder tree visibly became bashful and evasive. Tuka still had an air of innocence about her and resolutely covered her burning face with her hands. Caila in comparison maintained an aloof expression, but the edges of her cheeks were flushed a cherry red.
A look of helplessness assailed Shirou as he saw the already heavy frown lines on Waver's face deepen considerably when Waver stared at him.
Waver was clearly fed up with this venture.
Behind Waver were around a dozen magi affiliated with El-Melloi family, and directly next to him was a young woman with a callous air of haughtiness that belied a playfully sadistic personality.
In the midst of all the commotion, the young woman was the first to speak, and not Waver.
"Well, you seem quite loved," the woman observed, her eyes taking in the sight of all the elves before a peculiar expression came to her face.
"This is Lady Reines of house El-Melloi," Waver introduced after noticing Shirou's confusion.
It could just be him, but Waver sounded like he was introducing a superior rather than a subordinated under his own faction.
Reines twirled a lock of hair and feigned disinterest, but the light in her eyes was practically shining when she looked at him.
Pushing past Waver who grimaced in disgruntlement, Reines assumed a contemplative position with one hand beneath her chin, and the other by her waist. She didn't speak, but looking at Waver, Shirou could sense that Waver was gritting his teeth in exasperation.
"I'm Shirou Emiya," he introduced himself.
"I know," was the only response from Reines.
The elves stared curiously at the group before Waver decided that actions spoke louder than words, and began instructing the magi he brought along to begin the promised reconstruction efforts.
Property damage repairs were one of the most common skills any adequate magus understood clearly. This was mostly in part due to the Mages Associations strict policies regarding the secrecy of magecraft, and as such, before the eyes of all, damaged buildings and structures magically seemed to rewind time and fix themselves.
Astonishment, and cries of wonder echoed out as the elves rejoiced.
Waver didn't participate in the construction efforts himself and instead stood by Reines, appearing as if he'd rather be anywhere else.
Watching the proceedings in silence, the two individuals who had arrived at the same time as Waver and the others, finally decided to make their presence known before they were completely overshadowed.
These two were beastmen, or demi-humans. They were one male and one female travelling with the role of ambassadors seeking cooperation.
The man had a long mane of fur around his bald head, and his gruff features and rugged build carried the demeanor of a lion. He wore a simple tunic and ordinary grey-trousers, but his finely chiseled muscles still shun through.
The woman was slender and lithe, wearing something of a form fitting attire made of stretched leathers. Black tiger strips were apparent over her exposed arms and legs, and small fangs could be seen when she smiled behind her long bangs longer at the front than at the back.
The woman's pair of cat ears, and the man's swooshing tail, indicated their restlessness.
In truth, they were just as dumbfounded at the application of magic before them as the elves, but they had more pressing matters to address. This coincided with the return of the elven village leader.
"Greetings to the elves," the man spoke with a gravely tone and a bow. "We've come today to discuss prior matters…in privacy if possible."
The woman accompanying the beastman, stared distrustfully at Shirou, Waver, Reines, and everyone else. It wasn't because of anything they'd done, but simply because they were human, and made the two beastmen wary.
"He is qualified to know of such matters, and therefore his colleagues are too by extension," the village chief interjected much to the two beastmen's dismay. Still, they gathered themselves and ignored the feeling of discomfort in their hearts.
"We need the support of the elves." The woman spoke up first. "The archery and agility of the elves are unparalleled throughout the continent, and the Empire has only grown more and more brazen after conquering the warrior bunnies. Have you considered our proposal to field a few elven warriors to the Beastmen Alliance?"
The village elder appeared distraught. All things considered, this wasn't the best time. "Do we really have to respond to that request given the state of our village now?"
Indeed. Both the man and women could tell from the previous state of the elven village, before Waver ordered the magi to start reconstruction, that tragedy must have struck. Still, they had their own circumstances and shamelessly waited for a positive reply in awkward silence.
The village elder was put on the spot, and seemed at a loss. He then turned his gaze, followed by many other elves who were listening into the conversation. It was odd sight.
Shirou froze when he realized that the elves were suddenly looking at him for a decision. Both the beastmen, and magi led by Waver noticed this too, and a particularly interested expression came to Reines' face before she took action.
Before Shirou could respond, Reines grabbed his arm and tugged his ear closer.
"One moment, please," Reines made Waver translate before directing her full attention on Shirou and pulling him away from everyone else.
"If observation serves me well, you've somehow taken authority over this entire village of research opportunities," Reines smiled deviously before gesturing for Waver to participate in discussion.
The fact that Shirou couldn't even deny the statement left him flustered, all while Reines regarded Shirou in the same way she regarded Waver.
"Hence forth, this place will fall under El-Melloi jurisdiction. The others won't have to know. Speaking of which, I want you to agree to help those two."
For once, the opinion of a magus fell in line with Shirou's own. It wasn't wrong to help others, only he hesitated because he knew full well that the grin on Reines' face was filled with ulterior motives.
Magi had no interest in regular human politics in this world or their own, but this was different.
Half-human, and half-phantasmal, these were Demi-humans. The wonders of such research opportunity couldn't be replicated in their modern world, and the best place to do so was right up close.
House El-Melloi's advantage over the other Lords of the Clock Tower was that they had the initiative in this new world. The more they new and explored before the other Lords understood the gravity of what was on the other side of the Gate, the more benefits to El-Melloi.
Suck it, Sophia-Ri. There won't be anything left for you!
Though, Reines did feel a tad disappointed that Gray had yet to arrive. She would pose a suitably for the role of a body guard in case things went wrong.
Oh well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Shirou swallowed while glancing towards Waver for some sort of support, but the man himself was violently chain-smoking cigarette after cigarette. One by one didn't even seem to be enough, and like a fat role of tobacco, he held a handful of cigarettes with his mouth, and lit it all at once.
The dizzying amount of nicotine would take away all problems and stress, surely.
Reines turned her gaze to stare right at Waver to obtain his opinion and support.
Face twitching, Waver slumped. "Oh, for the love- fine. Well do it."
"Glad you see things my way, brother." Reines couldn't have seemed any happier. "Now then Emiya, go tell them of our willingness to participate."
Under Reines' watchful eye, and Waver's lack of response, Shirou sighed before facing the beastmen representative and elves.
"We accept."
"Keep close. We're entering a Hunting ground for Valler Beast, a type of dire wolf that inhabits this central region." Caila's voice echoed ahead while she and Tuka acted as advance scouts for the group guided by the two beastmen.
The rest of the elven warriors would follow after the situation in the village stabilized, but for the most part, an advance party was to make contact with the Beastmen Alliance.
After Caila had spoken, she gestured for everyone else to follow closely and not make a sound to avoid detection. Tuka kept her guard up while wielding the hunting bow her father had given her after she and Caila were tasked with protecting Shirou. Although nervous, she knew never to act meek in a hunt or outside the village.
While the two elves remained ahead of the main group, the beastmen representatives kept to themselves on one side, while Shirou, Waver, and Reines kept to another.
Waver didn't look happy in the least while trudging through muddy terrain. Reines trailed in the back, and was all smiles. If one observed closely underfoot, you'd see that she wasn't actually walking on the mud and dirt like Waver, Shirou, and everyone else. Instead, where her foot fell, a small platform of silver metal liquid with cushion it.
As such, Reines was the only one who remained spotless over the course of this journey.
No one spoke as had been instructed. Moreover, it wasn't as if anyone was in the mood to speak anyway aside from Tuka and Caila.
The beastmen representatives would shoot suspicious stares at Shirou, Waver, and Reines from time to time, but they didn't bother making anything out of it. At the same time though, Shirou, Waver, and Reines didn't speak with each other either.
Shirou wasn't too acquainted with either of them, and his position wasn't even close to theirs. They were his superiors based on rank. If one considered it more cynically, they were his watchers from the Mages Association.
Even if he wanted to get more familiar with them, it would be better if they started a conversation first. However, considering Waver's present mood, and Reines amusement directed at Waver, it was only natural that silence remained as their only company.
Eventually, the advance group arrived at the location the beastmen representatives specified to be a Beastmen Alliance stronghold.
After several hours of travel in the late evening, everyone had some degree of tiredness. The beastmen representatives in particular couldn't wait to reach a soft bed, and as such sped up. However, Tuka's ears perked up at the sound of clashing metal.
"Wait!" Tuka called hurriedly, halting the entire group as Caila hummed in thought. "I think I hear sounds of fighting."
Immediately, the beastmen representatives grew alarmed at the implications. The only place where a fight could be occurring was the location of the stronghold itself, since other than the stronghold, there was no signs of civilization in a hundred-mile radius.
Grim-faced, Caila disappeared ahead and returned three minutes later. "The stronghold appears to be caught under siege by Empire legionnaires," she informed, much to the anxiety of the beastmen representatives.
Upon hearing this piece of news, and looking at the expressions the others were making, Waver was the first to react.
"Not this time, Emiya." Waver grabbed Shirou's shoulder without warning. The first time Shirou ran off was due to negligence. Waver would not allow for a second to occur. "We will not be dragged in from your impulsive actions."
With his piece said, Waver eyed the rest of the group and nodded when the suggestion to assess the situation of the siege was given.
Creeping through the underbrush, the group stopped just shy of the edge of a clearing where the stronghold could be seen. The walls were erected from large pieces of timber held fast together by ropes, but the thing about wooden barriers, was that it could be easily burned.
Indeed.
Right before everyone's eyes, the Empire Legions were dipping arrows in oil and setting them on fire before shooting them at the walls. It was honestly a miracle that the timber hadn't caught fire yet, and turned into a blaze. Once those walls fell, the inner keep would be raided, and the beastmen leaders, captured or killed.
At present, there were roughly five hundred Empire troops, staging this night attack which caught the defenders off guard, leading to this tragic situation.
Tuka, Caila, and the beastmen representatives could only watch numbly.
"We have to help," Shirou could hardly sit still anymore.
Ever the voice of pessimism and reason, Waver pointed out a valid concern. "Do you really think that they'll accept the aid of humans so readily if even the two we were travelling with are still guarded towards us?"
"Well, I think I have an idea."
Everyone turned to stare at Reines as she made use of a prior misunderstanding about this world's residents that occurred several hours prior.
A beautiful metal 'beastman' quietly walked to the front of the battlefield in the midst of all the violence.
Thanks for reading!
I have a new novel out and the link is below for Survivor's Log: Reflections. Samples can be read at Fiction Press, and the Paper back is also available now.
Next update: Fate-In Time
P a treon. com (slash) Parcasious
Book links:
Fatedlegacydark. ca
New Book: Out on Amazon (Remove dash on link)
Survivor's Log Reflection: Amazon.c-om/dp/B08VDDGN7Z?