12

Inside a military office, several men and women were seated around a broad circled table overlooking a large overhead projector screen. A man and his secretary stood at the front of the table where everyone was directing the majority of their attention.
T

he men were in formal suits and ties ranging from black to grey in colour, while women were in the same sort of formal dress, but all wearing dark pencil skirts.
The man at the front of the table had neatly cropped hair, high-cheek bones, and a stalwart gaze. Meanwhile, the secretary next to him nervously shifted on her high-heels, and hugged the clipboard in her hands to her chest in order to hide her nervousness. It did little when he shakily pushed up her glasses with her index finger. Her hair was done up in a bun, and it didn't appear as if she'd be able to work up the courage to speak much in the crowd. Regardless, the older man took the lead in this case and ordered an attended to distribute the files on hand marked with Japan's special defence ministry symbol.
All members in the current room were associated with Japan's military of defence and offence cabinet.
Japan was the location where a mysterious 'Gate' had suddenly appeared where otherworldly invaders crossed through, took prisoners, and attacked a market square. The ramifications and immediate mobilization orders were all carried out and discussed in this room. The current matter was no different, but it was of a more pressing concern regarding intelligence.
The man cleared his throat and simultaneously shielded his secretary to give her time to compose herself. She would be the one analyzing the data after presentation. It wouldn't do if she self-destructed here.
"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you all for attending this meeting on such short notice, but critical information has just been discovered that needs to be brought to attention," the man declared solemnly, he was Japan's current chief Defence Administrator, Nobuo Kishi. "I've gathered you all today in order to reassess the threat level that the world beyond the gate poses outside our initial assessments."
Making sure that Nobuo had everyone's attention, he nodded wordlessly through a glass screen on the side where he knew a technical team was watching.
"Bring it up on monitor again."
With these six ambiguous words, Nobuo gave no time for the others in the room to ask questions or bicker among themselves. He'd decided that the straight forward approach was the most effective one. Rather than describe it with words, the video can tell the entire story.
"Recorded on Recon Six's arial drone was what is believed to be a war between local inhabitants. The ancient Roman legionary attire denotes one force as members of the other world's Empire. Meanwhile, from the animalistic characteristics of the individuals, bunnies, dogs, cats, and pointed ears, they seem to be an alliance of beastfolk."
Whispers echoed out at the surreal sight of demi-humans being displayed on screen, but Nobuo knew that beyond the simple reactionary expressions, the main point was being overlooked until finally-
"They're sending only one person to fight a cohort of armed legionaries?" The question stunned everyone, only Nobuo silently nodding.
Tapping a few fingers on a tinier screen in front of him, Nobuo enlarged the video to zoom in on the particular weapon in the sole man's arms, and its subsequent use.
Teeth clacked audibly as mouths retracted shut. A stifling silence permeated through the room as many deliberated over what they just saw.
"Magic," Nobuo's secretary began in the silence, her eyes dilated from nervousness when everyone regarded her. "The otherworld inhabitants used this unknown force when they first arrived in Japan. Staves that could shoot fireballs, spells that could freeze the ground and air at localized points, altogether, they didn't seem that effective on the scale of weapons of mass destruction. Bullets travel faster than a 'magic user' can chant his or her spell. Before 'magic,' was considered dangerous, but something that could be simply watched out for and eliminated from a distance. In short, its effective range and lethality was comparable only to standard guns and perhaps some artillery, but this…"
Someone swallowed, a handkerchief wiping at a bead of sweat rolling down a woman's forehead.
Nobuo continued, inwardly nodding as he realized that everyone gradually understood the gravity of the situation.
"Loosely classified as 'Magic Sword,' each swing is predictably comparable to or greater than ballistic explosions and Tomahawk cruise missiles. It's closer to a general categorization of 'mini-nuke.' Hypothetically, if swung at one of out cities, it will incinerate all in its way like a plasma beam, let alone the base camp at Alnus Hill. The question to consider now, is that if others of comparable 'magic' ability exist in this new world, how would be we stop or defend against it?"
"Isn't it simple?" Someone spoke up from the crowd. "Shoot first. As we've seen from experience, a magic user's spell means nothing if they can't activate it."
"Fool," someone else snorted. "How do you shoot something you can't locate? It's better to carpet bomb a general area. We can't risk someone of this 'magic' capability to enter within strike range."
"Which bodes the question, how many more of them are there, and are they enemies? Recklessly attacking out of fear will do little more than draw their combined ire."
The voices halted again, all at once, before the secretary broached the silence with the only method to ascertain the effect of these new development.
"Should we make contact, sir? Recon Six or the other scout teams can send in a drone or meet them personally? However, volatile contact may prove too dangerous. If they're attacked, with the magic user's fire power, there's likely no chance of rescue."
Nobuo considered the notion, but ultimately shook his head.
"We should keep things under-wraps for the time being," he declared. "Based on the Empire's attire and formations, there's a theory that the other world's Empire is an offshoot of ancient Rome. Ancient Romans must have passed through an older Gate into that world."
"Minister, what are you getting at?"
"Secretary, what of the lab results?"
"Y-Yes," the secretary stammered before going over the notes on her clipboard. "The blood samples from the Empire invaders in Japan show a match with Roman ancestry, so uhm, there may be truth in the proposed theory?"
"Why does that even matter?" Someone couldn't help but bring up again.
Nobuo shook his head before turning back towards the technical team. "Play the video again, and enhance the audio," he instructed.
"?" Everyone glanced at each other in various levels of confusion.
Nobuo continued. "Listen. "I'd like you all to turn your attention solely towards the wielder. God knows how the rest of the world will react to this let alone the United Kingdom. Raise the volume already!"
After a couple more tries, the room was practically filled by the sound of howling wind and an ethereal hymn born from the dancing light. It was more than just a little enchanting, it was inspiring, drawing forth sentiments of long forgotten glories and wonders.
"Now recall the theory of the origin of the Empire's people, and apply that to what you're now seeing and hearing," Nobuo's voice suddenly cut in as the sound of the video continued to intensify. "Red hair, stark features, and above all, that disposition, bidding all to remain steadfast. Code name: ARTHUR. There's a reason for this designation. Listen as he calls it out."
Sheathed in the breath of the planet, a torrent of shining life.
"-That sword. Its name is…"
Excalibur, The Golden Sword of the Victorious, and the light of the planet's hope.
Slowly, Shirou eased the tension in his muscles and looked upon the scenery before him.
The scene before him expanded out into a vast expanse singed from blinding light and heat. Smoke was wafting up from places, but the vast majority of the area ahead of him appeared cauterized, everything so finely burned that it could be described as pristine in outward appearance. Of course, this was withholding the description of the extent of damage for what was now 'missing.'
To begin with, every native present including the Warrior Bunnies were distinctly aware of the existence of a mountain range far to the north in the direction Shirou was facing. Right now, they could clearly see some sort of large circle cut-out which left only the base of the mountain untouched. By the time everyone understood, comprehended, the magnitude of what they were seeing, it was as if the whole notion of common sense and worldly knowledge had been turned over on its head. No one was foolish enough to believe that the power in the strike couldn't have destroyed the entire mountain range if it was aimed just a tad bit lower.
Far Waver, a type of nostalgia surfaced from within him...memories of what was known as the Fourth Holy Grail War, and the light he'd seen on that day upon his King's chariot. A shiver ran down his back, tickling the back of his neck and making it feel as if a weight was on his shoulder. For a moment, he glanced up at his side and saw his King's broad smile looking down upon him while boisterously clapping his hand over his back.
"How is it? Is it worth conquering? Is it fun?" The King asked of him.
Waver's mouth opened and closed, before he shook his head, looked again, and the image of his King was gone.
In its own way, Shirou Emiya really did remind Waver too much of the Saber of the Fourth Holy Grail War. If anything, his sense of righteousness and his ideals practically made him no different. Of course, the sentiments and images seen in this moment varied from person to person.
It was a light of dreams; noble in its purpose and bearings, and bidding all to remain steadfast to their faith and loyalties.
"I-It's the image of the Elven God," Caila gasped out through trembling hands placed over her mouth. "It's real. The God of our tree of life would never have abandoned us. Tuka, be sure to send a message to the elder- Tuka?"
"It's beautiful…I-Is that what my mother looked like?" Tuka murmured out, captivated at the gold sand that seemed to converge into a figure fondly watching over her from above. Unbeknownst to her, but the image was made from her earliest memories just after she was born, regarding the woman that held onto her as if she was the most precious in the world.
"A blessing." Tuka wiped at her eyes, vigor replaced by devotion and growing zeal. "This has to be a blessing."
Caila had no response. A green glow surrounded her as she paid her respects, prompting Tuka to do the same, the aura of their elven magic dancing along to the tune of their growing devotion.
Meanwhile, Shirou glanced down at his hands still holding tightly to the hilt of his sword. Momentarily, he was taken aback when he noticed a pair of ephemeral hands overlapping with his own.
He followed the hands, all the way up past the regal blue battle gown, and towards the familiar pair of warm teal eyes nodding towards him.
It was a woman, light passing through her figure, and yet it did nothing to take away from the nostalgia of the moment. It was no wonder that wielding Excalibur hadn't been too taxing on him. Perhaps from the very beginning, it was never he who had wielded it alone…for his Saber was always with him in spirit.
[May victory watch over you, always.]
Shirou blinked, and the woman of his dreams was gone. His hands opened and closed, before relishing in that instance of contact. At least to him, it proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was walking on the right path.
He who would search, and she who would wait- it is the miracle spoken of by the Wizard.
Gradually untensing his body, Shirou regarded the spot where Zorzal's legions used to be, and sighed when he understood that no ordinary human would have been able to withstand that. It was no wonder Saber had never lost a war with this sword, let alone the fact that she could somehow now help him wield it in spirit. He could surmise that something had changed about him ever since he'd received that blessing from the Elven God, but he was far from able to understand the specifics.
Rather than think of it too deeply, he returned to where he knew, Reines, Tuka, and Caila were waiting for him. By now Trimmau had returned to her humanoid form, but she appeared strangely troubled, having done practically nothing in this instance. Reines on the other hand, was suddenly more reserved.
"Emiya, well done," Reines applauded somewhat stiffly. "For someone of your supposed magic reserves…you are grudgingly more capable than I had believed."
This deserved further reassessment.
Inwardly Reines decided to heighten her level of vigilance. It was one thing to believe that she had a grasp of the threat level of everyone around her, but it was another to be proven wrong. She knew full well that Shirou must have been consuming a considerable amount of his energy to maintain his Reality Marble in their original world, but to still have enough to fire a Noble Phantasm of such a quality? If Reines wasn't already fully certain that Shirou wasn't a 'Blue Blood,' she would have long since made plans regarding a potential bastard child of a prominent magus family. Regardless of her thoughts, it was true that Shirou did indeed exhibit the ability to go beyond Reine's present assessments of him.
How truly…disconcerting.
What would she do if she asked something of him, and he refused? Would she be confident enough to risk a confrontation? B-But she knew full well that Trimmau could never endure the level of output Shirou had just displayed.
So- play it cool.
If you can't beat them physically, then do so mentally.
Confidence and aristocratic poise would surely be the key.
"Emiya." Reines puffed up her chest, arms crossing imperiously by her side in an attempt to assert her authority.
"Yes," came Shirou's curt response.
Now, it may have just been the trick of the light, or that Reines was just too high strung, but her voice caught in her throat. Fairly quickly, she'd realized that Shirou was still holding onto Excalibur with no intention of letting it dissipate. Inadvertently, Reines felt too stifled to press him, then became exceedingly panicked, or more aptly, disturbed a second later.
Someone else had beaten Reines to the pitch.
"Trimmau, what do you think you're doing?" Reines found the hairs on the back of her neck raising, the pitch of her tone a tad higher as her vocals constricted in stunned surprise.
"I have reconsidered the offer for optimization," Trimmau replied in monotone, suddenly standing next to Shirou with an expectant gaze.
"What?" Reines couldn't believe her ears. "Trimmau, you know that I forbid the intrusion of foreign craft to gleam secrets from the El-Melloi Family."
"Affirmative, my lady."
"Then why?"
Trimmau opened then closed her mouth, a frown marring her lips as she suddenly didn't know how to answer. Instead, she looked to Shirou which irked Reines to no end. Emiya? Why Emiya? Who's the master here?! W-Was Emiya actually seducing the accumulation of the El-Melloi family's greatest achievement in liquid mercury?! Unacceptable!
"Trimmau!"
"My lady?"
"Explain, now."
"I, I, I want to be of more use," Trimmau finally ended up finding the words to describe what she was feeling.
Considering that Trimmau had acted as the wall to block the Empire legion's path, the fact that she practically didn't even get to fulfill that role left her feeling threatened. She was practically a liquid mercury doll, a tier above the Einzbern Homunculus. Her joy was derived from her feeling of fulfillment and competency. Take that away, and it was no wonder she suddenly became anxious enough to act on impulse in order for improvements. In short, she was jealous from the difference of herself as a weapon and Shirou as a 'sword.'
Reines was momentarily stunned, allowing Trimmau to use the opportunity to round her attention back on Shirou.
"Touch me," she said urgingly, putting her hands by her side and sticking her chest forward.
Shirou had already explained that he'd need to come in contact with her in order to use his Structural Analysis and Reinforcement magecraft prior, but Trimmau was inexperienced in context issues.
"Emiya," Reines felt her veins pulsing beneath her skin. "Touch her, and I promise all manner of curses you've never endured before! You stay away from her!" Saying this, Reines glowered at Trimmau. "Trimmau! You need not question your competency! You are the pinnacle foundation of the El-Melloi family! Take pride!"
Upon hearing assurance, Trimmau finally felt the unknown feeling inside her settle down. "Understood, milady, but if I were to be more useful I can-"
"Emiya, if you so much as look at her strange, I'll have you sent back to the Clock Tower!" Reines put her foot down, frustrated beyond annoyance.
Trimmau tilted her head at the sudden tension in the air, but seemed to realize that she was the cause somehow. Without waiting, Trimmau rippled into liquid form and re-entered the holding container Reines kept hidden on her person. Then, and only then did Reines begin to settle.
The look Reines was leveling on Shirou spoke of heavy caution, as if a mother guarding her most precious daughter
Awkwardly, Shirou pretended as if that whole exchange didn't happen and tried to bring things back to normal.
"You wanted to say something?" He got back to the original point of the matter, but by now, Reines had lost motivation.
"...Forget it," she said, deflating. She wanted someone easier to talk to, someone who could amuse her. There could only be one. "I want, brother. Is he here yet?"
Shirou sniffed, his nose twitching in the direction down-wind before answering with certainty. "He's close, along with a few dozen magic signatures around him."
'Are you a dog?'
Reines's mouth twitched, but she maintained her poker face and nodded. She knew well enough that Tuka and Caila would not take well if they heard her insult their 'apostle.' What the hell sort of crack-cult did Emiya get roped into? Or…did the title actually mean something more?
In any case, there was no use in dwelling over the matter now.
With the defeat of Zorzal's forces, the Warrior Bunnies would no doubt feel indebted to them. This would as the basis of the foundation of the Clock Tower's expansion into this new world. With the nearby settlement of the elves, bounded fields could be set around the area to create a new faculty space dabbling in comprehending the intricacies of elven magic and the magic system of this new world. Meanwhile, the kingdom of the Warrior Bunnies would be the link that provided information on interesting outside developments. Moreover, due to its geographic location from Shirou's gate, it could act as intermediary buffer zone to give advanced warning of enemy attacks. For example, if Phantasmals lived in this world, there was the very real danger of running into something that even Reines or other magi couldn't handle.
Suddenly, Reines glanced up, features crinkling.
Was that a random dot in the sky? Was it looking at her? Do birds here look like blocks nowadays?
Shaking her head, Reines decided it was better for her to focus.
Over the hill, she could already see Waver's outline, following behind him, a contingency of Warrior Bunnies who appeared nothing if not resolute.
Oddly, Reines could have sworn their gazes were practically all locked onto her. One even spat on the ground and stared at her as if she was looking at the dirtiest of filth.
Reines should have been offended, but as it was, she'd never noticed in favour of seeing the awkwardness on Waver's face. The baby was getting princess carried, and the Warrior Bunny carrying him appeared as if it was the most natural thing to do.
"Big brother, well done," Reines said snidely, grinning from ear to ear as Waver's cheek's coloured in embarrassment.
"Shut it," Waver grumbled before eventually coaxing his way out of the grip around him.
Tyuule was reluctant, and hugged Waver a bit tighter just before letting go in order to reveal their 'closeness' to each other as fellow tribesman to Reines, but Reines still wasn't paying enough attention. Meanwhile, Waver merely thought that Tyuule's actions were his fault for not being able to keep up. Obviously, he'd misinterpreted the signals, and so too did Reines.
Almost as soon as Waver was released, and he entered a relaxed slouch, Reines was calling out to him. "I have more work that needs your attention," she said sweetly, smugness exuding from her.
"Do I not get a break?" Waver grumbled.
"Who's the one in debt, dear brother?" Reines replied cheerily. Waver's timing couldn't have been anymore convenient. She needed him to go back to Shirou's Gate and keep tabs of any magi unaffiliated with the El-Melloi's that walk through, and Waver knew the gravity of this.
Of course, while Reines was thinking of the benefits, Waver was more inclined to consider the demerits of the unscrupulous natures of many magi.
This was a job that Waver really had to do even if Reines didn't tell him, solely due to his authority in the Clock Tower as a Lord. As for Shirou's matters, it was best to shield him from the politics of the Clock Tower once it's discovered where the Gate in his Reality Marble leads. Hence, Waver couldn't ask Shirou to share the burden with him, because Shirou's presence may make things worse.
In the end, wouldn't he have to be doing this alone? The hassle of its all weighed over his shoulders, but inwardly he perked up when he recalled that Gray might be making her appearance soon.
Oh God, an actual reliable helper, that, ugh, presently wasn't here. Damn.
"..." Waver sighed, helpless, not seeing many Warrior Bunnies including the Queen bristling on his behalf.
Of course, neither Reines or Waver considered the interaction between them from an outsider's perspective.
Tyuule could stand it no longer. In fact, the white skin peaking out through openings in her tribal wear were slowly growing rosy as she worked herself up into a rage.
She stepped forward, right between Waver and Reines mid-discussion.
"You, catwoman." It was almost like Tyuule was glaring from how frosty her features were presently set. Her hands were balled into fists while veins popped over her skin. She was clearly trying to hold herself back, but was failing when she recalled the interaction between Waver and Reines. "We need to talk."
Dear brother? What sort of sick play was that? It wasn't as if she was jealous…no, she was a Queen.
Oh? Reines hummed, taken aback at Tyuule's clear animosity, but in no way cowed by it. Moreover, she needed to have a talk with the representative of the Warrior Bunnies anyway. "On that, we can agree," she simply smiled, the two women at sudden loggerheads.
Reines gestured with a tilt of her chin to the side. "Shall we talk in private over there?"
"Very well." Tyuule nodded curtly, before her Royal guard of elite Warrior Bunnies surrounded and whispered to her imploringly.
"My Queen, you must succeed!"
"That girl from the cat tribe can't be allowed to get away with this! Who does she think that she is?!"
"For our tribesman!"
Tyuule raised a hand. "Worry not, I know what must be done," she said reassuringly; this while looking intently at Waver who felt oddly targeted and anxious for no reason.
Nodding to herself in resolution, Tyuule then regarded the imploring gazes of her fellow Warrior Bunnies before she took in a deep breath.
Her eyes narrowed, lips thinning. "Leave this to your Queen," she declared before leaving.
Inwardly, Tyuule sneered at Reines while considering her best 'diplomacy' skills. Honestly, her indignation as a Queen for someone that was clearly her subject being at the mercy of another rival race, was maddening. It was provoking her protective instinct to no end, let alone her own personal feelings and investment in the matter.
For the tribe, for duty, for little royal bunnies! She knew what had to be done.
This was a conversation between tribes she couldn't afford to lose.
"Well then, I suppose that this should be far enough." Reines hummed by the time she and Tyuule reached twenty feet away from the rest. "Now then, shall we get to this discussion? My cohort and I, did just save your kingdom from invasion. A little incentive for our troubles shouldn't be too much to ask for, will it?"
Tyuule scowled at the dig in her character, but she too wasn't easily cowed. "Know this, but Warrior Bunnies do not return aid with trickery and ingratitude."
"Perfect, then-"
"How much?" Tyuule cut in irritably.
"Excuse me?" Reines widened her eyes, unable to keep up with developments. "Ahem. Forgive me, I didn't think you'd be this eager to give reparations."
This was the wrong answer. From Tyuule's perspective, the cat tribe woman was purposely playing coy to infuriate her.
"You wily cat! Stop beating around the bush, you know what I mean!" Tyuule clicked her tongue indignantly. "I will not stand for your cunning or beguilements. Reparations aren't an issue we Warrior Bunnies will shirk on, but for the sake of our own, we'd never stand for injustice. Release him!"
What in bloody- okay what is even going on?
"I-Injustice?" Reines had never found herself so taken aback in discussion before. It was like they weren't even speaking about the same topic, or was there something that she wasn't quite understanding here?
"Typical, truly you're a member of the cat tribe," Tyuule spat, her lips pursing in contempt, bunny ears raised. "You still try to deny it? What you have done to a clear member of my tribe can be grounds for war between us!"
Reines blinked, then blinked again
…An obvious cunning act of masterful deceit!
Why Tyuule nearly fooled herself into believing it!
"How much?" Tyuule repeated again, inwardly seething.
"Again, with this? What are you even insinuating here?" Reines slowly began to lose her patience, arms crossing and features growing ever so haughty.
Still playing ignorant? Tyuule grew tired of this charade.
Fine, surely when it's spat in your face, your ability to twist away from reality would become obsolete!
"The Male Warrior Bunny of my race, of my people, Sir Waver- You dare enslave him to be at your beck and call like some gopher?!"
"Slave?" Reines echoed the word, her mind blanking as she finally processed what the Warrior Bunny Queen was getting it. Ever slowly, she linked the dots. Until- "Pft. Fhuhahahaa!"
She laughed long and uncontrollably, only laughing harder as Tyuule's countenance grew darker and darker, until finally Reines managed to recompose herself.
Vainly, Reines tried to regain her air of nobility, but was quickly forced to cover her mouth as another laughing fit nearly assailed her at the thought. Giggling, her eyes sparkled.
'Brother you genius.'
She told Waver to leave a good impression, but this? This was beyond expectations.
This conversation just got a whole lot more interesting.
And if anything, she'd play along now that a convenient bargaining chip was at play. Moreover, Waver was still in debt to her. Technically, she owned this invaluable 'asset.'
Reorganizing her thoughts, Reines gave a winning smile.
Tyuule couldn't help but get the impression that she was being stared at by a predator.
"You fancy my slave? What are you offering?"

/-/
S

hirou's ears twitched, his control over his new 'elven' ears making it difficult not to eavesdrop, a shudder traveling down his back.
Walking up to Waver, Shirou clapped a hand over his shoulder in sympathy, earning a befuddled and exceedingly confused grunt from the man.
"You have it rough too, don't you?"
"I don't like that look of sympathy Emiya, cut it out."
"Good luck," was all Shirou could say.
"What?"
Elsewhere,
Back at the entrance of Shirou's Gate, new figures began to emerge one by one as magi from the Clock Tower decided to brave the risk of the unknown to satisfy their own curiosity. Originally, they'd intended to wait for the report by Lord El-Melloi II, but even now, there hadn't been word yet. Hence, some took it into their own hands.
Low and behold, an entirely new world lay before them that lacked the strict rules and regulations of the Clock Tower.
Unfortunately, not every Magus was as accommodating as Waver and Reines were…
In the midst of the crowd, a cloaked woman pulled the top of her hood further over her face.
Mr. Velvet, Add, what should I do?
Thanks for reading, and thanks to my newest patron: Cabe!
Next update: Fate Legend
P a treon. com (slash) Parcasious
Book links:
Fatedlegacydark. ca
The Lonely Peak
New Book: Out on Amazon (Remove dash on link)
Survivor's Log Reflection: Amazon.c-om/dp/B08VDDGN7Z?