16

Nothing was quite the same in Japan since the emergence of a Gate leading to another world. In fact, nothing was the same at all. The city of Ginza, Tokyo was put under lockdown, and media reporters were barred from televising the details until approved by government bodies. However, this blockade couldn't last long, and soon enough, word had spread about the Gate throughout the continents. Inquiries and conventions were called through foreign ambassadors regarding the topic, but Japan continued to adopt a delaying tactic, stressing that until the Gate was better understood, they couldn't arbitrarily make decisions regarding it.

— —
-Alnus Hill: Military Forward and Exploration Base.
— — —
A soldier stifled a yawn by covering his mouth with a hand, but it did little to motivate him awake. He was wearing tactical camouflage gear with forest green prints to blend into the environment in a nature setting. The clicking sound of his heavy combat boots echoed in the tiled hall. The helmet that should have been worn over his head was hanging by its strap around his neck, and he showed no indication of righting the gear in the least. He was too busy keeping himself motivated. His eyes were drooping, expression set into a tired melancholy. He could have been watching anime right now…
His name was Yoji Itami, former second lieutenant and trained in special force garrison procedures. He was promoted to First Lieutenant for his actions in directing police and saving civilians in the Ginza Gate incident when the Empire's legions marauded into the city.
He was also a hopeless Otaku.
Honestly, he was more concerned about whether he could buy more doujinshi after the Ginza incident rather than how many lives could have been lost.
Presently, he'd been drafted with honors for his quick actions in Ginza, in order to participate in the operations through the Gate. What. An. Honor.
He yawned again and absently began making his way towards the Major's office where he'd been called to receive his unit's latest instructions. He'd been regulated to be put in command of the Third Recon Unit tasked with civil reconnaissance behind enemy lines. The primary focus was on the citizens of the Empire in hopes of facilitating a cease-fire between both sides, and to help act as a bridge for peaceful negotiations.
Great.
"Why am I here?" He gloomily muttered to himself while entering the Major's office and closing the door behind him.
"Shut it, Itami."
Itami was immediately reprimanded, his features scrunching up as he uttered a curse under his breath. The Major's hearing was just too stellar for an old guy.
Blinking, Itami scrutinized his military superior wearing a formal suit and tie. The man was a senior, but his hairs refused to gray like so many elderly people one could see while out shopping or walking on the street. Instead, the Major exhibited valiant demeanor, his expression, studious despite all the wrinkles.
"Shutting up, Major," Itami did a salute before shaking his head and focusing. His years in military training hadn't gone to waste. "You called, sir?"
The Major snorted before riffling through a pile of documents to procure a missive detailing the instruction for the Third Recon Unit. He passed it over to Itami who took it into his hands and then secured by his side with his right arm. The mission details could wait to be shared with the other members of the team. For now, Itami merely observed while waiting to be dismissed.
Creased brows, narrowed eyes, and a weary sigh, the Major was exhibiting all three major signs of stress.
Need to escape. Itami concluded, tentatively backstepping towards the door, getting as far as turning the knob before his actions ceased.
"First Lieutenant," The Major harped.
"Sir!"
"How do you feel about another mission?"
How did he feel? His dull face must have reflected his emotions as the Major grumbled to himself and relented.
"You're lucky you're not the one dealing with politics," the Major began rubbing at his eyes, his back leaning into his office seat.
"Politics?" Itami muttered.
"Don't ask." The Major glanced up sharply. Frustration was laced in his tone, but it swept to the side as Itami wasn't the target of the Major's stress. "If even I find it troublesome here in another world, then you couldn't imagine what sort of pressure our leaders are facing. Geopolitics and all that with the Gate only appearing in Japan. And everyone wants a piece of the pie. They're rallying to label the Gate in Ginza as a shared international space like an international waterway, not taking into account that Ginza is a city of Japan. If it's passed as international space, are we just supposed to allow the military of other countries into Japan?"
"Wasn't this the case before-"
"Then there was the leak to the United Kingdom..."
Itami shut his mouth, lips twitching at the sheer hassle he could imagine world leaders were facing.
"Code name Arthur?" He queried.
The major slapped a hand over his face and dragged it down with a tired sigh. "Code Name Arthur. Since I doubt that you'll accept the assignment, forget it, lieutenant, and just focus on your unit's objective of surveying nearby cities and points of interest. Dismissed."
Itami shrugged, but the major was right.
"Understood. Recon Team, rolling out."