Prologue

"So, let me get this straight: I got into the ever prestigious Ouran Private Academy, you hid the acceptance letter in fear I would decline it, and have been saving up money for me to go and stay in Japan this whole summer?"

"Surprise! Quite the plan don't you think? Ranka will be so happy to have you stay for the school year. You know how much he loves you!" Your mother smiled.

"Wait—Auntie Ranka was in on this?"

"Of course! You will be staying with him after all! Don't worry, you won't have to share a room with Haruhi, he's cleared out the storage room for you and made it into a room. Although, you will have to sleep on an air mattress until we send over money for a real one. Those things are never cheap."

"But this...this is all so much! I took the test just to take it! I didn't think I'd actually get in."

She giggled, placing her hand on yours.

"But you did and I can't help but be proud. I can already tell what you're thinking; 'I don't want to leave you alone though! What if you get hurt and I'm not there?'. I'll be okay. You have taken care of me for so long. It's time to focus on yourself and what the future holds for you."

She pointed at the acceptance letter on the table.

"You deserve this, (___). I won't be alone, little Midna will be here to watch over me. And you won't be either since Haruhi will be walking into Ouran with you!"

You jumped up, eyes wide.

"No way! She got in too?" You shrieked.

"Look at you ready to go once I say her name! The two of you are nothing less than exceptional, I had no doubt that you both would get in. Haruhi can't wait to see you, so, no more protesting this. It'll be good if you start packing!"

      Whether leaving for the summer or for the school year, saying goodbye was always gut wrenching. Your father stood close to your mother, hand wresting the nearest handle to her wheelchair while the other was up in the air waving at you. Your mother waved with bother her hands, pressing them to her lips and blowing kisses your way. They were saps when it came to you, you were sure they were crying. As were you. But this is was a gift for you, to go to such a prestigious school, to have an excellent education. This was your future and they wouldn't stop you from taking it into your hands.

      The plane ride was lonesome and quiet. You were thankful there weren't any screaming children aboard the plane. You spent about half the journey sleeping away, your eyes bloodshot and dry from all the tears you wiped away. Your saving grace was walking out of the gate and through customs to be greeted with your favorite aunt and cousin. While Haruhi greeted you with her usual smile and wave, Auntie Ranka was flapping his arms around like a madman with a sign in his hands. You had no time at all to even open your arms for a hug before Ranka was twirling you around in his arms and kissing the top of your head. Haruhi had to pry her father's arms off of you to even welcome you back to Japan herself.

      It was hard to believe that you were staying here so long now. You and Haruhi typically shared her room when you were staying for the summer, but now you had your own room. A storage room, but it was still a room nonetheless. Ranka did it up as best as he could afford to. There was an air mattress with fresh sheets and bedding ready to go along with a small desk and free standing rack to hang your clothes on. It was bare bones, but over time, you would come to call it home.

      Haruhi helped you to unpack while you talked about mundane things ranging from school work to what summer has been like. You already began talking about how each of you were going to divvy up the chores around the house and what days you were going to take turns cooking. It was typical talk between you two. Ranka had busied himself with making dinner, which was either going to be a fantastic meal or absolutely catastrophic. Luckily, the food tasted good, he had made your favorite to commemorate such a special day. As a small treat, Ranka had set aside some money to buy a small set of fruits to indulge the two of you.