NINETEEN SEVENTY-FIVE

Standing before Viola's home, Raphael kicked around with the thought of knocking

around with the thought of knocking. He was anxious as he hadn't heard from Stella in what seemed like eons of a blue moon which was only about three days.

A bouquet of deep red roses was held to the
right of Raphael's clammy palmer while a heart-shaped box of expensive chocolates was between the pit of his arm. A drunken fool passing by would've thought it was Valentine's Day from all the red surrounding Raphael. Deeply he suspired a breath. "I'm already here, might as well go through with it." He gently spoke to himself, building his confidence.

Reaching a fist to the wood, Raphael knocked
a few times before lowering his hand. Patiently he waited until the door opened, revealing Stella.

"Raphael?" She said in puzzlement.

The smile across his handsome face began to fade.
Stella didn't seem happy to see him. His confidence depleted within seconds. "These are for you..." His voice was low as he handed over the goodies that would make a grown woman melt inside.

Stella, however, didn't even crack a smile. "Thanks."

Nodding in return, Raphael half smiled.

"Anything for you."

"I wish you would've called instead of just
showing up out of thin air," Stella was blunt.

"I have been calling you...for the past few days." He paused and waited for a response that was not given before deciding to speak again. "You were pretty upset the last time I saw you, but despite your anger, I still should have driven you home and not allowed you to walk so far in the dark. I'm sorry about that, Stella."

Taking a step forward, Raphael closed the gap that separated them. Gingerly, his smooth lips connected
to Stella's forehead. The guilt forming in her lower abdomen was abysmal. She had been intentionally avoiding his calls. Yet he went out of his way to apologize even though he did nothing wrong.

These last few days without hearing from Stella
had him restless and losing a usually healthy appetite. Meanwhile, Raphael hadn't even crossed her mind. She was too focused on her cousin Michael.

Stella could feel Raphael's kindred spirit
warming her body with his long limbs. All
he could feel, however, was her resistance.

Hugging a block of cement would've felt more comforting than what he received from his so-called girlfriend. Something was wrong and he knew it. Dispositioning his head back, he looked downward; despite the palpable feeling of rejection, he didn't want to let go. "Can I come in?" He asked. As she looked up, their eyes connected. "No." She said, ripping herself away from his embrace.