jelly :(

A/N: My friend sent me this song because he wanted me to suffer with him

!!!TW for mentions of death and torture!!!

* * *

Somon's cold claws tapped together, each tap sounding a soft click. The industrial whir of the fan snaked and clambered through the vents, occasionally banging against the metal. Perhaps it was the faulty ventilation system's attempt to scare her out of her vigilant watch over the comatose body in the nearby bed, but the soldier would not break her stare away for a second. It was a direct order from the Senator, after all, to alert him of the Electee's wake.

Somon once again looked down to study the resting face of the one bound to the bed: Synictis Iradil, an experiment of the Daybreak's lofty undertaking to create biological life from nothing—becoming Ziraina, one could say. The translucent sheen of their soft, orange flesh glistened under the fluorescent hospital lights and reflected the blinding light back into her eyes. Their eyes seemed glued shut as if they would never open to see the future that they had ruined. All it took was a sudden faint to ruin the Daybreak's plan.

Synictis had never matched Somon's skill in combat, so they were resigned to mere infiltration efforts until a golden opportunity revealed itself: the Union's Governor Elections. With their friendly face and demeanor compared to most Daybreaks, the Coalition deemed them the perfect spy and sent them off to run as a candidate with a fabricated past and a foolish hope for future peace. It was a rather ironic disguise, but those Union civilians fell for it. Over the course of the election, the Coalition retrieved civilian polls that predicted the winner, and they found themselves the pleasant surprise of Synictis right on the heels of Chanoch Amayadga—the leading candidate.

They would have won if it were not for their damn narcolepsy.

The Coalition never thought it a major issue until now, when the stress of the debate induced their worst episode. They would have split their skull open from the fall if Somon did not rush from her hiding spot and catch them. And then there they were, exposed to all of the Union with the blue candidate pointing at them and accusing them of being Daybreak spies. Even with the assassination attempts from the Sunrise Republic that provided them their ticket of escape, it ended with another casualty on Somon's hands and a dooming reality for Synictis to wake up to.

They had failed their mission.

"It is merely a meeting I wish to have with them," the Senator claimed before sending Somon off for sentry over Synictis's comatose body, but there was that familiar snarl in his voice that spoke the words of his true intentions. As Somon had learned from watching sobbing Daybreak cadets stumble into that sealed metal room, the "meeting" they were going to was a march to their gruesome end. Sometimes, the screams of the tortured escaped the confines of that room and haunted the ears of the living like the remnants of phantoms begging for help.

Somon prayed that Synictis would never wake up, that their death would be painless and at their own hands.

But a flutter of their eyelids ran her blood cold. She wished it was an illusion of her own making, but their face contorted with discomfort and a groan echoed from the recesses of their throat. After a rustle of their body against the hospital bed, their hand reached up to hold their forehead, and their four eyes blinked open.

"Ugh... Hello, Somon," their voice mumbled, weak and hoarse from days without a single noise uttered. "How long was I asleep for..?"

"Three days. Long enough to be classified as a coma," she answered. Her long watch over them finally shattered as she tore her stare off of them and redirected it to the heartrate monitor. The thought of looking into their eyes so unaware of what they would soon witness formed a lump in her throat.