٤

Late in the evening Hanadi emerged from her bedroom and rushed towards her dad's office, but to her surprise her mother stopped her. She took her hand in hers and led her outside in the courtyard. Hanadi clearly didn't understand what this was all about, her face grew pale.

"It's true, we are hosting a dance, a masked ball for all the noble men that are coming to ask for your hand," her mother looked at the moon and sighed. "You have greatness in your heart and soul, for all the good things you did and will do," she kissed her forehead and wrapped her in her warm embrace.

The pieces of Hanadi's heart that had been struggling to fit into this world became so quiet when cuddling with her mother, it was as if they had found peace, as if they needed her glue to bridge their gaps and connect. Deep down she knew that her mother was right, she had to marry a noble man and accept the kingdom when the time would come, but she needed it to be on her terms.

"I was also married with your father at your age and I don't regret it, I found love. Everyone loves him. I see it in the way they hang on his words and reciprocate his smile so quickly. He's a great ruler and you will be a great queen when the time comes, but for that you need a husband. You will find love," she looked at her daughter with eyes full of hope and meaning. She understood her objections simply because she had them as well when she was young.

Hanadi believed that a real marriage was not supposed to be based on family and status. She had to feel it. Feel the bond between her soul and his. For people couldn't truly become aware of this sixth sense until their soul-partner would arrive. Hanadi slightly turned her head and looked in her mother's eyes, she slowly nodded to show her that they had an agreement with each-other.

With that, she walked steadily towards the living room, she sat on the sofa trying to suppress her anxiety. She couldn't stop playing with the second layer of her dress, folding it in different directions every time. It was a strange day for her, nothing was going as it was supposed. Instantly, an idea flashed before her eyes before bitterness crept into her face. She wanted to sneak away for a walk with Azim but she usually had to come up with various excuses or straight-up lies in order to leave the palace.

She was restless and the anxiousness couldn't subside, perhaps it was the fault of that strange letter she had read or maybe it was the marriage, she didn't quite know. She couldn't take it anymore, her body jolted and she knocked on her father's office but got no answer. She knocked once more but the result was the same, there was no one inside and that wad strange at this hour. Hanadi slowly pulled the handle, rushed in and closed the door behind her.

The office was quite big but neat, with a big window. Her father needer the view and he couldn't imagine doing this kind of work without an ability to see nature and let his eyes stretch into the distance. She lingered, moving closer to the window and wiped the cold coat that was covering the glass. The sea was infinite blue in infinite weather patterns, yet in all that it was the prettiest colour she ever saw.

She walked around the office and her leg fell on the wastebasket, startled she looked down and saw a crumpled yellowish paper inside. She reached for it and carefully opened it. She immediately recognized her father's handwriting, there was real confidence in his handwriting, that forwarded momentum telling of his adventurous soul. She started reading but halfway through her mind couldn't grasp what was written on it. "It came here, this darkness, it's true. The darkness is formless so far but I don't think it will last long."

Her brain stuttered for a moment and her eyes took in more light than she expected, every part of her went on pause while her thoughts tried to catch up. After a wash of cold she stepped forward and placed one hand on her father's desk to keep her balance. She crumpled the paper once more and threw it in the wastebasket but continued searching the other papers that were thrown away.

The rest of the papers were the usual, the opening of the palace in the kingdom of Oterean, a piece about a scholar who supported the development of world culture and the entry of women in the same schools as men. In an instant, a harsh sound pulled her out of her perplexed thoughts.

"What are you doing here?" her father's deep voice sounded as he entered his office. He had a way of igniting her internal fear, as if he knew that she was up to something before she had a chance to explain herself properly.

Hanadi lowered her gaze and walked forward, she didn't want to attract too much attention to herself. He was speaking in a clipped, decisive voice, something had already ruined his mood, she thought. He walked past her and sat in the armchair next to her daughter.

"I spoke with mother about the ball we are going to host. I wanted to ask you who is coming for my hand, I have the right to know," she swiftly changed the subject and turned around facing him.

"Hanadi this will be an important day for our family," he said in an almost ominous voice. "You will meet your future husband."

Hanadi heard those words for the first time and it was just as scary as it was inside her mind.

"True love and soulmates are all silly nonsense from your books. I was patient and gave you the chance to choose a partner yourself, but you didn't bring anyone worthy of our kingdom," he sighed as he looked at his daughter, his eyes were sleepy and he looked tired. Hanadi knew that she didn't stand a chance at a debate with him.

"Alright father, I will give it a try," she gave up and finally said.

"I know the men that are coming along with their families. I am a great judge of character unlike you," he stood abruptly and headed to the living room.

"What if my future husband doesn't like me?" she said decisively.

Her father stopped. He had never expected such boldness and Hanadi pressed her advantage. Although, she already knew the answer to her question, she was the future Queen and there was no man that wouldn't like to claim the throne and become the king of a whole kingdom. Sometimes she wished that she wasn't a princess, just to see if anyone would be nice to her. Hanadi couldn't change the world in a single stroke, but she knew that this world needed a change. She could hear her family's name everywhere she went, some admired them, some hated them, some feared them. Everyone talked about them.

"Many people would be proud to be in your position," he finally said without leaving any room for discussion. He hurried up the stairs to his bedroom.

Hanadi saw less and less of her father and more of "their" leader. She wanted someone to understand the desperate cry of her soul. She wanted to scream those words at her father but deep down she didn't want to hurt him, or even make him feel remorse. Finally, she sighed and walked up the stairs and went straight to her bedroom. She shut the windows and calmed her mind, she let the candle flames extinguish, for the sleepiness had arrived as the most inviting.