After Goodbyes by pea0buttersandwich

Writing Prompt: Taylor Swift - Wildest Dreams

"Let's get out of this town. Drive out of the city, away from the crowds."

Submission: Shanaya Stephens

After Goodbyes

1.Stay

Rosaline

"I am sorry."

This was for the fifth time when I heard him say those words. Fifth time in a span of fifteen minutes.

"It's not your fault that the tickets are dozing off in my locker room." I cleared my throat, stealing a glance at him as he stirred listlessly in his seat.

Today was not one of the special days. He had done this before, right? When Pam told me that I don't have to go to the concert alone, I was beyond thrilled. After all, he wasn't one of the many guys who had flocked around me. She told me he was a 'paid acquaintance'. Perhaps his company was too charming to be offered for free. He looked like the type though. He wore his stubble raw, grazing his jawline with manliness, as his eyes stared wide at the dashboard through the round glasses. The vintage golden frame was a dead giveaway of the fact that retro is his style. Is it why he agreed to this? Plumbell plays 90's music afterall.

"Don't worry. I will still pay you for your time." I said, placing my hand over his as he relaxed under the touch. I would be all by myself if it weren't for him.

"This isn't about the money." His Adam's apple quaked, and I followed his gaze when our eyes locked. The summer air hadn't caught up to the night, yet, I was relieved the air conditioner of this 80's beat up baby hadn't given up.

"It isn't?" I mumbled. His words take me by surprise. I watch him rest his head against the leather as his fingers entwine with mine. He is just too kind for his own good. Isn't he?

"I can make it up to you." He said, as his fingers traversed the length of his front and the button of his shirt popped open. I half expected to get a glimpse of wildly grown chest hair, only to watch the denim overalls, masking his front. The offer was a little tempting, but I knew myself better than that. Guys and me? It will probably be a ticket to trouble.

"Put your shirt on. You don't have to do anything. I told ya, I'd pay you." I cleared my throat, withdrawing my hand as my eyes followed the dimly lit streetlights.

The familiar buildup of quaint houses, and freshly mowed lawns laid in the backdrop, as I take in the view. Nothing has changed over the years. It's funny how the cityside of Fordshire is a raging leisure spot, and yet, the country still remains it's quiet old self. With its simple people, and more simple upbringing, it must have been hard for the modernisation to sublimate its essence of minimalism. The thought made me smile.

"Just tell me what you want me to do. I don't want a pitied penny." He said, breaking the silence as I drift back into reality.

Pitied penny? I watch his face closely. He had faint hints of dimples on his cheek. If it weren't for the low lights, and maybe, his too-cool-for-the-world smile not showing up enough, I would have noticed it before.

"Beautiful." I murmured and he blinked his eyes.

"What?" He narrowed his eyes on me.

"Oh well, nothing. Here."I offered a one grand bill to him as his face ashened.

"You are free to leave!" I chimed, unlocking the doors as he stared at me with exasperation.

"Why?" He asked, and I shrugged.