I want to (Need to) Break Free by TheSpiritQueen

I want to break free from your lies

You're so self-satisfied I don't need you

I've got to break free

God knows, God knows I want to break free

I've fallen in love

I've fallen in love for the first time

This time I know it's for real

I've fallen in love, yeah

God knows, God knows I've fallen in love

I Want To Break Free- Queen

Hera wasn't sure for how much longer she could live like this. She'd been married for centuries by now and Zeus was only getting worse as the very days progressed. For gods' sake, she hadn't even loved the guy! It had been a cruel trick from the king of the gods, orchestrated to screw her a couple of times and then move on with his womanizing ways. She wished she hadn't sworn the challenge on the Styx.

Hera wished desperately to make Zeus feel just like she had for so long, but the queen of the gods was nothing if not faithful. She was near nothing without marriage, no matter how twisted the relationship was. Honestly, even Aphrodite was getting concerned and the two women had never been able to stand each other!

"Darling please, you deserve so much better," the love goddess coaxed. "We both know you don't love him anyway."

The other goddess would have fought Aphrodite's words but she was just so tired. She buried her face in her hands, makeup starting to form faint trails down her face from the few tears she couldn't prevent. "I know I shouldn't stay with him but what can I do? He's the king and I'm nothing without my title."

Aphrodite gazed at the queen with pity sparkling in her ocean eyes. "If you truly don't have any options, I beg you to at least do something kind for yourself. Kill one of Zeus' sons if you absolutely must."

Hera tilted her face slightly to look at the other goddess with one tired eye. "You're supposed to be better than me, Aphrodite. The one who loves and gives, who would never dream of encouraging me to kill another mortal, no matter how useless they can be. You give, like I can't."

A bittersweet smile twisted on her temporary friend's face. "Not to Hephaestus." Hera choked out a laugh. She knew it was cruel of her, but she was beyond caring. Everyone called her a monster, and she knew that was what she was.

Aphrodite's smile transformed into something with a glimmer of triumph. "You know..." she trailed, still considering the idea, "there's someone we know who is both far kinder than me and has plenty of experience with what you're going through." Hera had the faintest idea of what name Aphrodite was about to say, and couldn't stop her heart's flutter at the thought. The goddess of love certainly noticed, judging by her growing smirk. "I think you ought to pay a visit to Amphitrite."

Hera gave up arguing concerningly quickly.

Every moment they took for themselves was stolen. Pushing each other against walls during Poseidon's meetings with his advisers, swooping in for a kiss when Zeus was too busy looking the other way to yell at one of the servants. Small things, and yet Hera's heart ached.

It was during one of the other goddess's short visits when Hera had to broach the subject. "I need to divorce him." The words fell out of her mouth before she was fully conscious of them, but the soon-to-be-former queen meant them with all of her heart. Well, just a little bit of her heart. (The rest of it was occupied by the woman cuddled up to her side).