prologue

"I'm home!" Eris yelled, as she always does. The only difference was that no one answered.

"Hello, is anyone there?" she called, but still no answer. When there was still no one home after 3 hours, Eris went looking for herself.

Not long after she left the house, Eris felt like she was being followed. She'd heard enough horror-like stories of girls being kidnapped and then sold to creepy men. That alone was enough so she went into a store as soon as she could.

Soon Eris saw a board with posters showing missing dogs, commercials and, oddly enough, a missing person. It didn't take long to realize that her name and photo were on that poster.

She read it again and again, but the same thing remains on the paper: missing Eris Smith. Eris couldn't believe it, but she knew better than to look for answers herself. Her phone was dead, just like in a typical horror movie and she had no money on her either. There would be no one at home anyway so she decided to go to the police.

Once at the police station she was told she had been missing for over 3 years.

But that couldn't be right. "I had a sleepover with my best friend Vin. For 1 night! I think?" said Eris to the cop who was helping her. "Wait, do you know where my mom is?" Eris suddenly asked, hoping nothing had happened to her mother. "Your last name is Smith, right? Sorry Eris but your mother is dead." said the cop. "W-what, no that's not right. That is not possible."

Eris's angst level skyrocketed. What was the 12 year old, no 15 year old, supposed to do now?