chapter ii; the green queen (by king aegon's own words)

My mother was no whore, let's start with that

When my grandfather, Otto Hightower named the Hand for King Jaehaerys I, he had to start living in the King's Landing and he brought my mother, Queen Alicent Hightower with him. She had just lost my grandmother whom I never met, Lady Deirdre Redwyne. My uncle Gwayne was squiring for my great-uncle Hobert Hightower, the Lord of Oldtown and other things.

I had heard that my mother didn't wish to come to the court, she wanted to stay at home with my uncle and mourn for her mother. But my grandfather didn't want to stay away from her. They had arrived at the court together, she was only thirteen and my grandfather had just turned thirty. They both were young and anxious, not knowing what to do. People had looked down on them, and questioned my grandfather's intelligence and capability and my mother's lack of social interest.

My mother found happiness in the former Queen Alysanne's gardens. She always loved flowers and birds, gardening was a hobby to her. She had missed the Reach, Highgarden and the Arbor but most of the Oldtown. The gardens were the only place she felt at home again. One day King Jaehaerys saw her there and their friendship started.

My mother took care of him. She had read him books, prepared his food and helped him eat it, washed and dresses him, and played chess and cyvasse with him, they talked and talked and King Jaehaerys even taught her High Valyrian a little. People told me that my mother was stoic and rude on the outside, mean even, but was the most compassionate, cheerful and charming person they had ever met once they got to know her. I know King Jaehaerys saw my great aunt Princess Saera. I also know he had lived a long life and yet his greatest regret was always forbidding my great-aunt to return back her home.

Once King Jaehaerys died my mother's grief only grew. She truly found a companion in him. The king was old and had no ill feelings towards her. He talked with her because he enjoyed her opinion, he had tried to teach her things because he let down all of her daughters. My mother was his second chance in this life and probably the greatest joy in his last year. He didn't die alone because of my mother. While neither of his grandchildren cared about him -only his crown and throne.

Once he died, my grandfather sent my mother to Oldtown to calm down. He thought it would help her to get healed and the people with jet-black hearts started to speak the moment she left the Keep. They had said that she seduced the Old King. They had claimed that a girl of thirteen seduced a sixty-nine years-old bedridden man and they all fucking believed that.

Well, you know what? Fuck them.

After my mother returned back a few months later -and now she was sixteen, my grandfather's quarrel with Daemon only got worse. My grandfather was the second son, he was to inherit nothing and he would become nothing if he didn't use his head. He worked hard, did his best at his young age, served Jaehaerys for two years while he was bedridden and did a great job, he made a man out of my father and tried to make him a king but he was no magician at the end of the day. He was hard-working, dutiful and obedient and a bright future was expecting him.