chapter vi; the dornish viper (by king aegon's own words)

If I was forced to marry a man nearly twice my age who is extremely ugly and fat and cruel in heart, I would cheat him with half of the kingdom, that's for sure

If I was forced to marry a man nearly twice my age who is extremely ugly and fat and cruel in heart, I would cheat him with half of the kingdom, that's for sure. So I never blamed Aliandra and neither should anyone.

She was a menace, that's for sure. With her smooth olive skin and long wavy brown hair, green eyes of a viper, enchanting voice and melodic laughs, she was a distraction and she knew how to use her poison well. She was flirtatious and fierce and had one lethal mistake; she saw herself as the new Nymeria.

She was the eldest daughter and therefore the heir of the Qoren Martell, Ruling Prince of Dorne. She had become the Ruling Princess by her own rights when she was only 17 and the war was getting nasty each and every day. She took over her father, ascended on her Spear Throne, and betrothed herself with Drazenko Rogare overnight. United Dorne and the Triarchy, and that was five years ago. When my mother was still the queen but waiting for her execution, my grandfather desperately tried for a Dornish ally to save themselves. But Aliandra liked Drazenko a little too much and the Warrior Queen in her wanted to see Westeros on its knees and she was not going to settle for a marriage match, though she did try to save my mother.

They stayed betrothed for four years, and both enjoyed having affairs left and right a little too well to get settled down but their love for each other was also as flirtatious and fierce as Aliandra herself was. People claimed that they had the passion of a dragon, a never-ending fire and that their nights were louder than my grandparents, Baelon and Alyssa. Both had their own lovers but their hearts belonged to each other. When aunt Larra married my father, they also settled down and got married and not even a year later he got choked on a piece of bacon a breakfast. They said she wept for days and was in mourning so much that her siblings had to step over. But she returned back stronger, the Stepstones belonged to her now and Myr and Tyrosh had no idea who they were dealing with. She was not going to let her husband, brother by law and nephew by law's deaths go unpunished.

She had saved Larra from my father's wrath alongside her brothers and took them back to Lys in protection and while the little fortune my father gave to her (which technically belonged to her, to begin with) helped them, it was Aliandra who gave them their power back. She had started a war against Myr and Tyrosh, and Braavos. Dorne was powerful and rich, and now they had very angry lords who wanted to crush the Essosian more than even the Marcher Lords but still, they were politically alone and they needed allies as soon as possible. So Lyonel Strong stepped in and 19 days after Larra's marriage ended, Aliandra Martell entered the capital with a glamorous entourage and married my father in the biggest wedding people had ever seen. It was even more luxurious than the Golden Wedding itself.

I remember Aliandra ad vivacious, giggly and brisk, not any of my father's wives were like her. They were either devout or at least fierce about something. Aliandra only liked tempting people, pushing their boundaries and testing their limits. She was a strong politician too. A princess with her own rights, she was not a subject to my father but an equal to her. She loved dogs and animals in general, her horses especially. She loved reading poetry and romance books, she also had a great liking for hunting and archery. She knew how to use a sword but wasn't great at it, in spears though, she excelled at any men in my father's court. She was a true ruler, a little too loose for her siblings' liking though. They had a complicated relationship. Surely, they loved each other for they were siblings but it was clear they did not like each other. Qyle was about the same age as Rhaenyra and had a failed attempt to marry her to bind each other's crowns together, and he had one older sister Coryanne who was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. She was only two years younger than her sister. Aliandra was two and twenty when the marriage took place, Coryanne twenty and Qyle seven and ten. Both chose to stay in Dorne with Coryanne acting as a castellan for Sunspear but occasionally visiting her sister, and Qyle was appointed as the Ambassador of Dorne, so he spent quite the time in both palaces.