chapter iv; the sea snake's daughter (by queen baela's own words)

My mother was the most honourable and desirable lady in the realm

My mother was the most honourable and desirable lady in the realm. My grandfather was the Sea Snake herself and my grandmother was the Queen Who Never Was. As their first child, she was loved by all but my grandfather.

She was tall and lean, comely -though I'll admit she was not as beautiful as the former queen, Alicent. She had inherited my grandfather's dark skin and brown eyes, alongside the white hair. She was more similar to him rather than my uncle Laenor and yet, he never loved her the way he should've. She was a failure in his eyes, nothing she ever did was enough for him and he simply didn't care about her existence.

She was not as educated as my father's first wives, Aemma and Alicent. The first one was educated in state matters while the second was in politics. My mother, on the other hand, could read and write a little though she never enjoyed these activities much. She loved needlework and since she was always going to marry an outsider, she was brilliant at house management. She loved art and music and dance -but then again, not more than Alicent.

She had never served the previous queens. My grandfather told me that he would rather kill himself than see her daughter -someone in his possession, to serve ladies that were below her. It wasn't a decision out of love but spite. Instead, he basically locked her in the halls of Driftmark -not even to High Tide, his primal seat back then. Because of the problems she had with him, she became quiet in nature, a peacemaker, and gentle in the heart but in truth, my mother was a coward. She never dared to speak up neither to my father nor to my grandfather and now she became nothing more than a name on a page.

When she first entered the court, after Corlys crawled back to his position, nobody even noticed her. She was a people pleaser and they treated her like shit. Meek and simple-minded, they called her while my grandfather pathetically tried to change those words to gentle and chaste. Her real role in life had been decided by my grandfather after he found out that Queen Alicent, didn't let the king into her chambers.

My mother always wanted to be a dragon rider. Being in the sky, roaming around freely, was all she ever wanted but it was never granted to her. My uncle claimed one for himself and after my grandfather threatened her, she set her eyes on the grand prize. Vhagar.

Turns out that she had a fire in her indeed. And this newfound fire set aflame her ambition. She wasn't too clever or pretty but she had the rightful family name and she wanted the king and the crown. She wanted to replace Alicent. And her desires matched with my grandfather's.

They said my father had fallen in love with her the moment she landed in Dragonpit with the newly claimed Vhagar. Bullshit, he never loved anyone but himself. Not his wives, not his children. My mother was just a new entertainment for him. While he was going older and more obese, he preferred more and more young wives. Aemma was 11 when she married and only 23 when she died, Alicent was even younger, 18 when she married and 22 when she was brutally executed. I never met her and I think both Rhaenyra and Aegon were biased towards her but anybody with a little knowledge about the ages-long feud between the Houses Hightower and Velaryon could know that she was innocent and it was my grandfather who set her up.