4

AMARIA AVAIA HARTFRIDAY2:00 PMTAMPA HIGH SCHOOL

AMARIA AVAIA HART
FRIDAY
2:00 PM
TAMPA HIGH SCHOOL

I lift my hand over my face to shield my eyes from the smoldering Tampa sun. The once frozen water bottle I left the house with drips from condensation. Walking to the field almost everyday, practicing for hours in the hot sun, and walking back home is becoming tiring. And I would be listening to music right now if it weren't for the fact that I lost my fucking headphones. I am too damn grown to be walking around, I need a car.

My phone buzzes when I walk through the fence surrounding the football field. I slip my phone from my back pocket and watch the brightness of my screen adjust to the intense sunlight.

mommy<3

hey baby i'm picking you up after practice today
so we can start shopping for back to school

okay mommy practice ends at like 5:30 today

👍🏾

read 2:13 pm

An arm slinging over my shoulder pulls my attention from my phone. I tilt my head up and see Evander grinning at me. I spare a glance at his pearly white teeth and notice that his bands are now colored a deep royal blue. His hair is pulled out of his face in a Ja Morant type style and I note that his retwist looks like it was recently done.

"Which one of your hoes retwisted your hair van?" I snicker and tug on one of  the loose swinging locs near the back of his head. He rolls his eyes and playfully pushes me away from him.

"See I was gon ask if you wanted me and Mil to bring the pom poms out for you but now I don't want to." He waves his hand around while speaking dramatically.

"Woah woah woah now. Help a sista out good fellow." I tug on his arm pleading with him. He mutters a 'Bet' and disappears behind the gym doors.

I take my time walking down to the field. Football players walk back and forth carrying cones and practice gear.

When I arrive to the field most of the girls are practicing routines. Coach Mayah sits on a chair a few feet away with Lorvae sunglasses perched on her face.

"Girl you went and got a pair and didn't get me some too?" I clutch my chest and throw myself to the ground in faux heartache. She rolls her eyes at my dramatics and takes a sip of her Mucho Mango.

"I got your pair in the house. Remind me to bring em tomorrow." I squeal and tackle her in a hug, almost knocking her out of her folding chair.

She laughs at my actions and tries to tug me away from her gently. Her tugging becomes frantic and I look up at her confused. Damn do I stink or something?