Part 25

We took our seats on the right side of the courtroom and when everyone was sat and quiet, the judge announced the trial.

"We are here today to come to a conclusion on the custodial case of Valeria Garcia and Xavier Montgomery. The case pertains to their eight year old son, Jonathan Garcia." The judge looked at some papers and continued. "And I have been informed that there have been some new revelations recently. You may present your case, mr. Stone." He said, allowing Val's lawyer to take the stage.

I'm so nervous. The fact that I have to sit in the viewing section in the back of the room is hard enough. I can't even be up there, supporting the woman I love.

My mom should come out anytime now so I'm kind of just waiting for that. I watch as mr. Stone walks up to the front and projects the pictures for everyone to see on a canvas of some sort.

He then speaks. "These pictures are of mister Montgomery and his face is clear in them, yes?" He asked, addressing the jury. He cleared his throat and moved back to the projector.

I took this time to look at Xavier and I saw him shitting his pants. He looks a mix of angry and scared, probably realizing what particular transaction these pictures were from.
I could hear the jury murmur something about drugs, maybe contemplating what that bag in the picture could be.

"I will now play an audio of a conversation that happened during this interaction." Alex said confidently.

The sound played in the room and everyone stayed quiet to make sense of it. The canvas in the front had some captions that were displayed as the conversation proceeded so you didn't have to rely solely on your ears. The jury looked to change their mind about Xavier, especially since they were previously on his side. Their reasoning was lack of evidence, but now he has no defence and they know that.

The audio quit playing and some of them gave Xavier pretty judgemental looks while some looked neutral.
Xavier held his head so I couldn't see his expression but his lawyer seemed to be struggling with some papers, loosening his collar.

So far I'm enjoying this a lot, seeing how the case is leaning towards Val so much now.

Stone cleared his throat once again and continued his relentless attack. "I also gathered some witnesses from a very serious previous crime. They are now, years later, finally willing to testify." He bated the jury and they seemed to take it. Somebody went to them and handed them all some papers, probably some documents about the murder charge to catch them up to speed.

He motioned for someone and the man opened some sort of side door that my mother stepped through. The jury looked at her calculatingly, noticing her prison outfit. Some of them were whispering about her 'credibility' because she is a criminal herself. I hope that they'll be able to look past that when they hear what she has to say.

Mom looked at Xavier and I saw him look up, only to notice who she was and what she was most likely here for. He looked terrified, knowing that this is now about much more than custody. It is now about life in prison for him.

He didn't bother hiding his stress and I don't think he would have been able to even if he tried. Man he is sweating bullets.
Stone started again. "This client is here to testify for the case that the jury has been presented with. Now, this isn't about him being guilty or innocent, it's about whether or not he should be allowed to be a father with such accusations under his belt." He drank some water. "And mind you, this case will be re-opened due to this new piece of evidence coming forth."

"He will be arrested under suspicion of murder regardless of what happens here today. He will be escorted away after this hearing no matter what." He paused for dramatic effect, then continued.
"This is the man you are considering giving custody to." He said, facing the judge.