Chapter 2

"Do you need help?" Dr. Templar asked, from his bed in the overflow ward in the cargo bay. "I'm doctor Templar, the chief medical officer from the Princeton." From his pips she could tell he outranked her, as a Lt. Commander.

"You have a concussion and broken arm. We could use your help, when you've recovered. Get some rest for now." Dr. Selar said.

"It's clear you're overwhelmed, give me a trianoline hypospray and osmotic regenerator. I can take care of the arm myself, then join you."

She gave him the hypospray, "I'll take care of the arm." She said, getting out an osmotic regenerator. "You should rest."

"Sleep often isn't recommended after a concussion." He said. "Where's your CMO?"

"She's with Captain Picard."

"He's alive? And onboard?"

"Yes."

"Is that safe?"

"I was able to surgically reattach his brain to the rest of his body a few hours ago, so yes. He's still in critical condition, that's why the CMO is with him, but he's no longer a threat to anyone."

"His brain was disconnected from the rest of his body?"

"Yes, they separated them with a radio transmitter and control device of some sort. They were reading his mind and controlling him like a puppet. He was conscious, but unable to move of his own free will."

"Jesus. Is he alright?"

"He is severely traumatized and his physical injuries are extensive, but the surgery was successful. He's very close with our CMO, and as a human she needed to rest as well, so she is staying with him through the night in case anything goes wrong."

"How long have you been on duty?"

"35 hours."

"As I said, you clearly need assistance. I can help."

"I am a Vulcan, I can work at this pace for several more days. You cannot." She said as she finished repairing the arm.

Dr. Templar flexed his arm as she finished with it, "I got some sleep in the escape pod, which is more than I can say for your people. Even if you can work at this pace, you still can't get to everyone quickly enough. If I may be able to save some of these people's lives, is it logical for me to wait here and watch while you rush around hoping to get to everyone in time?"

"It certainly isn't logical for me to spend time arguing about it." She turned to look at one of the security guards who didn't have enough medical training to do much to make himself useful, "Lt. Riffon, verify Dr. Templar's identity and credentials, and get him set up on our systems."

"Yes Sir." He answered.

"If you want to get something to eat, take a sonic shower, and change, Lt. Riffon can arrange that for you too." He was dirty, both himself and his uniform. His jacket was ripped and blood stained near where had just repaired his broken arm.

"It doesn't look like I have much time for that." He answered. "I can get straight to work."

***

Crusher was woken again by Picard screaming in terror. She could tell he hadn't woken up yet. "Jean-Luc." She said as touched his face trying to wake him. After a few seconds he woke to see her sitting over him, with her hair a mess, but still in uniform. "Are you alright?" She asked as he opened his eyes.

He sat up and she noticed he was shaking. "How could I be alright after...? I can't..." He said gagging. What she gave earlier to lower his adrenaline levels seemed to have worn off.