Chapter 6 - Outside the Order

Ahsoka was expecting someone to show up eventually, but she didn't know it was going to be the very next evening. She's spent most of the time staying in Lux's apartment, trying to figure things out. Until she was so worn out she didn't want to think anymore. Force, she misses Anakin so much.

Lux goes to open the door when someone knocks, to see Padme standing on the other side. "Lux – Ahsoka?!" she exclaims in surprise, eyes widening when she sees the Togruta sitting there.

"I said she could stay here," Lux explains.

Ahsoka stands, walking over as Padme steps inside, closing the door behind her. "Thanks for... representing me," she offers awkwardly, suddenly unsure what to say. She only saw her a day ago, but everything is so different now. She's suddenly hardly even sure how to act or anything.

"Of course," Padme brushes it aside, "But you're planning on staying here?"

"I was," she replies. Why does Padme seem so uncertain at the thought?

"If you're going to be staying in 500 Republica anyway, you can come stay at my apartment," the Senator offers.

She doesn't really see why it would be a big deal, but not that she would mind. "Why?" Ahsoka objects, not that she really cares but still.

"You're... still a legal minor, and I don't think you're really ready for this." Wait, she better not be implying –

"She's just here as a friend!" Lux hastily protests, turning slightly red.

"I know," Padme hastily assures, "But it's probably better if you stay at my apartment, if you're planning on staying around at the Senate."

"Okay," Ahsoka agrees, exchanging a glance with Lux, and shrugging. She doesn't mind, either way. "You really have room for me there?" She's been the apartment before, and it didn't exactly seem to have room for someone else to move into it full time.

"Of course I do," Padme says, "We'll just move some things around, and you can come there tomorrow. Does Anakin know you're here?"

"Yes, I told him," Ahsoka responds, "Has he... been around?"

"He talked to me earlier today," she answers, and Ahsoka nods. She really wants to see him again. Maybe after she goes over to Padme's, she can see him the next time he stops by. She can't imagine that he's dealing with her being gone any better than she is dealing with being gone, after all. Even now, she wants to help him.

Thinking about Anakin and Padme's friendship is just strange to her now. She hasn't had much time to think about it since she found out, but it's jarring to think that her master broke the Code like that. It makes her feel... she doesn't even know. Yes, she broke it too, but it's different when it's the person she's always looked up who did it.

Not that it matters anymore, because he's not her master anymore. She's not even a Jedi anymore. Their way of life is behind her.

***

"I asked Ahsoka to come stay with me." Padme's words ring through Anakin's mind again as he leaves the Temple, heading for Padme's apartment.

He doesn't know how to feel about any of this. Only a few days ago, everything was fine, and now, it's completely fallen apart. Ahsoka left the Order. She just walked away. He knows why she wouldn't want to come back, but it's still hard for him to process or accept.

True, it could be worse, Anakin knows. She might have left the Order, but at least she implied that she didn't want to leave him. It was only the Order that she wanted to walk away from, even though now that she's no longer his padawan, he doesn't know how much he'll be able to see her. Likely not any more than he's able to see Padme.