Chapter 10 - Revenge of the Sith

"It is upsetting to me that the Council doesn't seem to fully appreciate your talents," Palpatine murmurs, as he and Anakin cross the office, "Don't you wonder why they won't make you a Jedi Master?"

He does, and it frustrates him to no end. It feels like a blatant way of rubbing in his face that he's different for some inexplicable reason that they never bother to explain, that he doesn't deserve the same treatment that everyone else gets, and he doesn't understand why. He knows the Council only tries to do their best, that they have a reason for what they do, but he doesn't understand. Or maybe it's just a way of reminding him that he doesn't belong on the Council, as if he didn't already know that. He doesn't even want to be there.

"I wish I knew," Anakin replies, quietly, "More and more I get the feeling I'm being excluded from the Council." Even though he's supposed to be on it. It's not like he wants this, but he can't refuse Palpatine – not if something as serious as he claims is really happening, though he doesn't know that he entirely believes it. He doesn't know what to believe anymore. "I know there's things about the Force they aren't telling me."

Perhaps even a way to make sure Padme won't die? That his child – no, he can't even let himself go there.

"They don't trust you, Anakin," Palpatine replies sympathetically, resting a hand on his shoulder, "They see your future. You must break through the fog of lies the Jedi have created around you. Let me help you know the subtleties of the Force."

It takes a moment for his words to catch up to Anakin, and he freezes, spinning around to face him. "You know the ways of the Force?" How is that even possible?

"My mentor taught me everything about the ways of the Force," he responds almost carelessly, "Even the nature of the Dark Side."

Anakin's breath catches in his throat, denial screaming through him. No, it's impossible. It can't be –

Palpatine knows the Dark Side, and suddenly, everything the Council and Obi-Wan have been telling him floods his mind again. And that means – No, that's impossible. "You know the Dark Side?" he asks, faintly.

"Only through me will you be able to achieve a power than greater than any Jedi. Learn to know the Dark Side of the Force, Anakin, and you will be able to save your wife from certain death."

"What did you say?" he demands sharply. This cannot be happening. It – it – but what else could he be saying?

"Use my knowledge. I beg you."

He knows it in that moment, even if he can't even begin to process the implications of it. It doesn't even make sense. How could the man he always considered a friend, a mentor, be a Sith?!

"You're the Sith Lord!" Anakin accuses, whipping out his lightsaber on instinct, pointing it at him. Darth Sidious, the Sith who was manipulating the Senate, who was involved in starting the entire war in the first place – or so the Council suspects.

Palpatine turns away, seeming unconcerned. In truth, he doesn't have anything to be concerned about, not from Anakin. He couldn't attack him – even if it wouldn't be treason to do so. He can't even comprehend the implications of it, or the magnitude of this betrayal, but way inside, he knows he could never hurt him, even if he shouldn't be feeling like this, because Palpatine is a Sith, and...

"I know what has been troubling you," the Sith replies, "Listen to me. Don't continue to be a pawn of the Jedi Council. Remember what they did to Ahsoka."

His breathing hitches, and he tightens his grip on his lightsaber hilt. "That has nothing to do with this," Anakin retorts, although maybe it does. He doesn't know. He doesn't know anything anymore, because the one person he always knew would help him is a Sith, and –