Candy Bats 🍬🦇 (Chapter 1)

It was Halloween night, kids are screaming with joy as they ran down the streets with their big bags full of candy, the houses in the neighborhoods are covered with cobwebs and spiders to give off the eerie atmosphere, fitting for the season. Everyone is in the spirit of Halloween, except for one gentleman who works at the Candy Club, the local candy store in town.

Kevin usually doesn't like this time of year because of two spunky children, always dressed up in a skeleton and pumpkin costumes, every year they stop by the candy store to get their free candy cans that had been given out for free on Halloween, but almost every time they walk through the sugary store, they cause Kevin a lot trouble that he has to deal with. Kevin slumps over the counter with his head in his palm, waiting for this shift to be over. Behind him is his coworker Rick, who was recently hired a few weeks ago, stocking up the containers filled with candy.

   "Hey Rick, do you have the time?" Kevin spoked tiredly as he watches the front door for customers. "8:55, why?" Rick replied. "Just hoping I can get my shift done without these annoying kids bothering me." Kevin stood up from being slouched over the counter and turns to Rick. "Do you mean those kids?" He asked as he points at the door. Before Kevin could get a word out, the front door dings as two kids in a skeleton and pumpkin costumes runs over to counter with enjoyment, bouncing up and down by the glass case.

   "HI KEVIN!!!" Both of them yelled in unison.
"No no no no! You two need to leave right now!" Kevin shouted with anger as he walks over to small kids. "But we just want our free candy cans." Pump spoke in confusion. "No I'm not going to deal with you guys for another year! Every single year, you two have caused me a lot of trouble! Take your stupid cans and leave me alone, got it?" Both kids are too focused on the cans to understand why Kevin was so angry and both takes the cans from Kevin. "THANK YOU KEVIN!" They spoke in unison again and dashed out the door with their candies.

   Kevin sighs with relief and rubs his head. "Do you do this every year?" Rick asked as he walks behind the tired store clerk. "Eh kinda?" He shrugs his shoulders and heads to back to close up shop for the night. "You know there is a haunted house down the street that just opened up. A lot of people says it's scary." Rick says to Kevin as they both clean up the store. "Really, I might check it out after we lock this store up." He chuckles. The two men manages to clean up the shop and made sure everything was in place for the morning. Rick heads out, first to leave while Kevin is the one to lock the doors. Kevin heads to his car and drives to haunted house Rick has mentioned earlier.

   A few minutes goes by and Kevin pulls up to a run down house with boarded up windows, broken stairs, and cobwebs so thick that you can't see what's behind them. "Jeez this just looks like an abandoned house, hope Rick didn't send me off to random house." He carefully walks up the stairs to the front door, which has the door falling off its hinges. Before he can walk in, a flash of smoke covers the entrance and a small vampire lunges out of the smoke with a scream to scare whoever dares enter the house, making Kevin trip backwards and fall on the porch.

"AHH! Welcome to the hauntiest of houses gentleman!" The vampire screeched. He spots the gentleman on floor rubbing his back. "Oh shit! Are you hurt sir? Sorry I didn't mean for you to get hurt!" The man breaks out of character and steps out of the house to help Kevin up. "Yeah, just bumped my back a bit." He chuckled. The vampire helps him up to his feet and escorts him into the house. "Follow me sir, we need to take you to the first aid room to get you patched up. Hey Ethan! I need help with an injured person!" The vampire calls out to one of his coworkers. Another vampire walks out from one of the secret apartments stored behind the walls. "Bloody hell Strebs what did you do to him?" The other vampire walks over to help escort both men to the back area. "It was an accident! I spooked him too hard and he fell on his back." All three of them make it to the first aid room and they set Kevin on the bed while Ethan and the other vampire go gather the first aid kit and a water bottle.

"I'm sorry about this, I-I didn't think you would fall back like that!" The worried vampire said as he opens the first aid kit and patch up a small cut on Kevin's back. "It's fine, you was just doing your job. You did scare the hell out of me guess you're good at your job." Kevin said to lighten up the mood. The vampire chuckled at Kevin's response. "I guess you're right! I have only been working here for a couple of weeks and you're the first person that I had got injured while being scared. The name is Streber by the way." He smile at Kevin and hands him a cold water bottle. "Thanks, I'm Kevin." He opens the bottle and takes a few sips out of the bottle. After Streber made sure he's ok, he hops up from the bed and fixes his costume. "Since you're all better Kevin, you can hang out back here for a few minutes or you can take that exit over there to leave, I got to get back to be a spooky vampire!" Streber said with enthusiasm. "You have a nice night Streber." Kevin replied with a chuckle. "You too and come back if you want to get scared again!" He does his typical vampire pose with a maniacal laugh and runs out the room with his cape flowing behind him.

Kevin finishes his water and heads out of the haunted house through the exit Streber told him about. He makes his way back to front where he left his car and saw Streber doing his vampire act he did before on other people. Streber spots him after escorting people into the house and waves at him a silly little goodbye wave. Kevin waves back to him as he steps into his car and drives home. "Maybe I should come back tomorrow, he was nice guy."