4

Hunter doesn't remember the last time he's slept.

Forty hours ago, at least. Maybe forty-five. He feels weighted, a thousand pounds heavier than he should. Lights keep blinking in his eyes, and he's trying to remember if witches can sleep standing up. Hunter's always tried to lead by example. If the scouts see him pass out, it won't be good for morale when everyones already more stressed out than ever. Plus, he'll feel royally idiotic.

Maybe he wouldn't be so anxious if he hadn't disobeyed direct orders from his uncle and gone to Eclipse Lake, but was he really going to do? He can be replaced, Belos said so himself.

He recalls his interaction with his uncle in the portal room, the night he last slept. The soft glow spilling softly into the tall room. Belos was unmasked, and that was rare in itself. Hunter rarely sees his face anymore, but he supposes he understands.

"The titan has big plans for you." He had told him, like he always tells him. Somehow that never assured him at all. It's like his entire life has led up to it, and he feels nothing but dread. He knows his uncle and what he's capable of. Big plans could mean absolutely anything. It could mean the worst.

He never thought he'd get captured by The Owl Lady of all people, even if she has managed to evade the law for thirty years and can turn into a harpy woman on command. He feels a hint of anger. This was her fault. And the human's. He knows he got laid off from this job because of his recent behaviors and... distractions, but he was finally ready to prove he was useful again, and this is what became of him. The Blight girl's abomination goo strapped around his arms and torso.

He still sees the boy- Edric when he tries to sleep, and he remembers the conversation inside the cave veins where he came to a realization, a stupid one at that.

"You know," the Owl lady had said with a grin. "Luz told me about a trip to Latissa where she met someone very interesting . A beat up blonde with no magical powers."

Hunter frowned, furiously glaring at his feet.

"She called him- and these are her words: 'a bad, but sad boy'." She finished, and she and her dog demon thing erupted into laughter.

"If I ever see that human again..." His face flushed, slightly humiliated. He knew he could have gone back after her if he really wanted, take the palismen and have Belos's faith in him restored, but a part of him didn't, the stupidest part of him, could only watch her leave.

A part of him didn't like the way the human looked at him with disappointment.

"Watch it." The Blight girl prodded his back with her palisman staff, Hunter raising an eyebrow.

"Are all you Blight's this uptight?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" She hissed, warningly.

"I would say the men in that family are a little too... downtight, if you know what I mean," The owl lady said, and the demon dog nodded in agreement.

"Are you calling my brother dumb ?"

"Not dumb . And well I was referring to Alador but Edric works too, I guess-"

Edric.

Edric .

He stopped dead in his tracks, his foot freezing mid-step and sending him faceplanting into the cave ground. The pain didn't even register for a few seconds as he was paralysed in disbelief. "Edric," He said quietly, as if confirming what he just heard.

The Blight girl immediately whips around, flipping him roughly on his back with her foot. "What did you just say?" She bit out, angrily.
Hunter was short of words, his lips fighting to form something to say but nothing coming out. His head was suddenly swarming with questions and the thoughts he'd been blocking out for weeks.