02| I Don't Know How to Read

Hailey

My first lecture of the day is my favorite class, family law with Professor Wilson. Although, today I can't stop staring at the head that is in front of me, one that has never sat near me before.

Kenji Hashimoto is sat directly in front of me. Staring at him all class, catching his side profile from time to time, I can admit that he might be annoying but he's also beautiful. I'm only human after all and there's no other way to describe his soft features and soulful brown eyes. He also has thick dark hair, the kind that looks silky to the touch and makes you want to run your fingers through it. He covered it up today with a backward cap with the phrase 'I heart MILFs' printed in bold letters across it.

His head is bowed over his desk, and he scribbles furiously like he's taking down every word Professor Wilson says. However, from my table behind him, I can see what he's really doing is colouring in the block letters of the notebook brand on the front.

No wonder the man needs a tutor.

I know he is going to try and catch me after class, so I pack my stuff early. That way I can bolt when the lecture ends. Sure enough, Professor Wilson ends the lecture and I race out of the building like my ass is on fire.

Breakfast consists of a cheese croissant that I scarf down on the way from Family Law to Equity and Trusts. I don't even get to finish it, because in my haste I trip on the cobblestone path that winds through campus and end up dropping the croissant in a puddle of slush.

My stomach growls angrily during my Equity and Trusts lecture and only gets louder and angrier when I meet with my advisor to talk about finances. I didn't find any acceptance letters in my mailbox this morning, but I have to believe that I at least got into one of the programs I applied to. Even the second-tier schools will cost a pretty penny, which means I need a scholarship. If I don't get into a top law school, there'll be no BigLaw job offer with its BigLaw paycheck, and that means crushing, demoralizing endless debt.

Which isn't going to work for me. Especially with the legal battle that I am currently paying out of my ass for. I don't just enjoy family law because I like the subject, I like it because it prepares me for my own real-life legal battle. Getting custody of my younger sister Gracie.

Becoming her legal guardian.

After wrapping up with my advisor I am so hungry that I'm feeling light-headed. Fortunately, there's a sandwich place in the lobby of the building. I fly out the door, only to skid to a stop when a familiar face greets me.

Seriously.

Does this guy ever give up?

"You're ignoring my texts," Kenji says frankly.

Guilt tickles my throat. I'm not ignoring his texts—I haven't gotten them. Because I blocked his number.

For some stupid reason, though, I find myself confessing, "I blocked you." I take off walking, my pace brisk, but he's big enough that his strides eat up the ground and he's beside me in a heartbeat.

He only laughs at me, of course finding it amusing.

"Well you tracked me down. I'm kind of in a rush here." I walk faster.

"What's the hurry, Hailstorm?"

I scoff at the weird nickname. "I'm always in a hurry," I clarify. "I've got twenty minutes to get some food in me before my next class."

We reach the lobby, where I instantly get in line at the sandwich stand, scanning the menu on the wall. The student in front of us leaves the counter before Kenji can speak. I hurriedly step forward to place my order. When I reach into my bag for my wallet, Kenji's hand drops over mine.