13 | The Juicy Stuff is on the Kindle

***A NOTE 

This story takes place in Canada where Thanksgiving takes place at the START of October (before Halloween). I know Americans celebrate it in November, but I'm Canadian so we are doing it the Canadian way hehe.

Hailey's POV

There wasn't a lot of studying happening today, I was sitting at my desk painting my nails while Kenji sat on my bed reading one of my books. Tonight was their Thanksgiving dinner and I was waiting for Gracie to get dropped off by her grandma before we headed over to Warner and Juliet's house. I guess it was Kenji's house too, but he didn't seem to be in a hurry to get back.

It was hard not to laugh at the sight of Kenji sprawled out on my bed, one hand petting Lord Farquad while the other held one of my dark romance books in front of him. He is reading it quite intensely; it would almost be cute if he didn't keep insulting my book boyfriends.

"Hmmm."

I take the bait, "Hmmm what?"

"I was waiting till I read enough of your books before I came to this conclusion, but it seems as though you want a man who treats you like shit. This guy just called her a whore, even though he just slept with someone else. I mean most of these guys just bully the girl the whole time, yet they get her in the end."

"They don't always insult the girl." I say defending my book boyfriends, "They are tortured souls, most of them have tragic backstories which explain why they act the way they do."

Kenji glances up at me, "the love interest in the book I read earlier stalks her and fucks her with a gun. Do you want me to fuck you with a gun?" I am taken aback by Kenji asking to fuck me, albeit in a hypothetical scenario with a gun, but it still leaves me reeling.

He seems to realize what he just said and glances back to the book, a faint blush on his cheeks.

I focus on the other part of that sentence, "How many and how long have you been reading these? You would only know that if you read a good chunk of that book." I cross my arms and scan my bookshelf to see what else was missing.

"I take one or two every time I come over. At first, it was for research since my normal charm wasn't working on you but then I became invested in some of the stories."

My mouth gapes open at that, how had I not noticed? But Kenji doesn't seem to think this is an invasion of my privacy because he prattles on, "But I know the real juicy stuff is on the Kindle."

"How on earth do you know that?" I ask him, I want to be mad, but I am trying really hard to hold back a laugh. The thought of Kenji reading smut makes my lips twitch upward.

"Juliet told me. I couldn't find your Kindle though; Juliet said you just used the app on your phone, so I bought you one."

"You- "I sit down at my desk chair because this is becoming too much for me, "You bought me a Kindle?"

He tosses me a box from his bag and sure enough there is a brand-new Kindle inside. I look up at him and I can barely speak, "This is too much, you don't need to do stuff like this for me."

"Woah there Haybail, this is just as much for me as it is for you. Don't you see that I benefit from this? I finished all the ones on your shelf, so this is really just about giving me more options to choose from."

I press my lips together feeling awkward at his kindness towards me. I have never had a man do nice things for me like this without expecting something in return.

"I can see the wheels turning in that head of yours, just accept the Kindle and download something good for me." He nods at the kindle in my hands and I stop overthinking the gesture.