Part 3- The Ball

"I selected this one for you Viscountess." Mary says holding up a beautiful forest green gown with red flowers embroidered on it.
"Just Y/n is fine Mary."
"Do you like it?" Mary asks
I appraise the gown, "Uncle would hate it."
"But I thought you would find it stunning."
I smile, "it's beautiful"
"Lovely" she says before helping me adorn the gown and corset.

I look at myself in the mirror and Mary smiles, "it looks like it was made for you"
"Thank you Mary. Would you please help me do my hair and makeup?"
"Of course"

After she finishes she helps me down the stairs to where Uncle and Henry are greeting the arriving guests. I slip my gloves onto my hands and stand next to Uncle.
"I'm not sure that dress is entirely appropriate." Uncle says once he has a free moment, "unfortunately it's conveniently too late for you to change."
I smile at him. Mary and I had planned it that way and I knew he'd recognize it.
"Would you and Henry please go mingle with the guests? Don't forget to retrieve your waltz cards."
I sigh, "Of course."
Henry hands me a card and we make our way to the ballroom.

—————————————————————————

After doing what I believe to be my fair share of socialization I retreat to the balcony to watch the event.
I see Henry waltzing with a girl wearing a red dress who has her dark hair pulled into a bun. I wonder if this is this is the girl he wants to court. She's beautiful, I wish I looked more like her.

"Are those poppies on your dress?" A smooth voice asks from next to me.
I look over. It's a boy around my age with dark brown hair and eyes. He's wearing a new looking suit with a top hat and his hair is ever so slightly messy. He's very handsome, I bet he's more attractive than that Viscount Tewksbury everyone is gossiping about.
"I believe so."
He leans down on the rail next to me, "In France they grow so wildly they consider them to be weeds, but I find them very beautiful."
"I don't know very much about them, however they bloom here on our property during the summer."
"I must ask, are you Viscountess Y/n?"
I stand up straighter, "It is I"

He smiles warmly at me, "I've been looking for you all evening. I heard you speaking at the house of the Lords and have been wishing to talk with you ever since."
Ah, I see now. He probably wants to lecture me on why it's best women's opinions don't count like a number of men I have met tonight have.
"I don't think that's very appropriate, we have no chaperone."
"Well, I was hoping you'd grace me with you next waltz"
I look down at the group of ladies flapping their fans at him, "I believe there are plenty of ladies waiting to dance with you."
"None of them are you"
"My apologies, I don't waltz."
"That's a shame, perhaps another time?"
I smile thankful that I'll soon be rid of him, "perhaps."
He bows at me and leaves and I breathe a sigh of relief. Just three more waltzes with Uncles pompous friends and my duties will be completed for the night.

—————————————————————————

After I finish dancing with Uncle's friends, who were as unpleasant as expected, I go outside for a breath of fresh air. I lean against ash tree near the front entrance. The fall air gives me a chill, but the heat inside was suffocating, it always is when there are many people around.

The boy from earlier approaches me clutching a fan and touching is finger to the tip of it.
I sigh, "you are relentless"
He smiles, "So may I?"
"I suppose so"
"As I said earlier, I heard you speaking at the House of the Lords-"
"And you wanted to explain to me why I should stay home bound?" I interrupt
His face twist in confusion, "What? No, I would never tell you such a thing."

I feel my eyebrows arch upward in surprise, "Really? That's refreshing."
"I could never understand why anyone would think they had the right to tell a lady that. From my experience women are often as capable if not more capable than men."
"That's a very controversial opinion."
"Well it seems to me I have a lot of those."
I giggle, "the Lords always need more free thinkers."
He smiles at the ground, "You flatter me."

I find myself smiling as well, "what was it you wished to talk about?"
"After I heard you speak I was intrigued and wanted to make your acquaintance"
I feel a pang in my chest. It's rare that I'd admit this, but I feel I misjudged him. "Would it be too late to ask you for a dance?"
"Changed your mind about not waltzing? Was it all the lords you danced with earlier in the evening?"

My cheeks flush with embarrassment, "I misjudged you and I would like to reconcile that."
He holds out his waltz card, "I would like that."
I grab his hand rather than his card, "the formality is unnecessary."
He chuckles, "it seems a swift change from earlier ."
I smile, "I could change my mind."