Part 9- A Dream

I glance around the expanse of the ballroom. In the clusters of people crowded around me I fail to spot Tewksbury.

"Would you mind if I went to find Clara?" Henry asks
I shake my head, "Not at all."
He smiles and wades through the crowd and out of sight.

I slip out of the main hall and up the stairs, from there I should be able to see Tewksbury

Tewksbury's POV

I fidget with the handkerchief in breast pocket, "Why hasn't she arrived?"
"All will go well" Enola assures me
She slightly ruffles my hair and and fixes my lapel, "Just because you are a nincompoop doesn't mean you must look like one."
I chuckle along at her small friendly jab.

Y/n's POV

I see a brown haired girl ruffle Tewksbury's hair and fix his lapel. He smiles down at her and they laugh. She must be Enola, I can't see any of her features however I'm sure it can be none other. I must've misunderstood, it appears he fancies her and not me. It's rather embarrassing actually. I have seldom felt a fool aside from this moment. It was foolish of me to believe him to fancy me, and even more foolish of me to love him.

I retreat from the railing and find the nearest chair. Fortunately for me, they seem to go endlessly down the hall. I must stay for the remainder of the evening not only out of social obligation, but also to give Margaret a chance to make her escape. I hope she finds happiness in all the heartache that has shrouded her life. Maybe she can leave that behind with her old life.

I close my eyes and rest my head against the cool stone wall. I had always found myself to be emotional more quickly than others, however I am still surprised by the pain I am feeling now.

"Could I bother you for a dance?" A sweet voice calls out to me
My eyes flutter open to see James peering back at me.
How can this be?
I rise to my feet in shock, "James?"
" 'Tis I."
I wrap him in a soft yet firm embrace, "How?"
He hugs me tightly for a moment before pulling away, "I'm sure you'll find this is not appropriate."

I nod as he exchanges his waltz card with mine, "I don't have long."
"Where must you go?"
He smiles softly back at me, "You and I both know I no longer belong to this world."
"Am I dreaming?" I ask him
"I suppose so."
"Are you then a figment of my imagination?"
"I'm as real as I ever was."

He gently takes my hand and guides me down the stairs. His palms are cold, freezing even, however I enjoy the moment. He begins to lead me in a basic waltz as the music swells. He holds me close.
I sigh, "James-"
He looks down at me carefully, "I'm aware your heart now belongs to another Viscountess Y/l/n. I'm glad, I was very disappointed with the prospect of you missing out on love on my account."
"Then why are you here?"

"You always were an overthinking pessimist weren't you?" He asks rhetorically.
I raise my eyebrows at him, "Simply to insult me?"
"Of course not Viscountess. I just ponder why you get in your own way." He spins me around and pulls me back into himself, "You are aware that he isn't in love with her."
I scoff, "I was informed otherwise."
"He said he used to be in love her."
"Perhaps you misheard."

"What do you know of the language of flowers?" James asks seemingly ignoring my comment.
I shake my head, "No more than I ever did."
"Even after I left you all that literature?"
I avert my eyes to our feet moving in time with the music, "It made me miserable to see all of your notations, so I put them in a chest under my bed."
"All the flowers he gave to you, he was telling you he was falling in love with you."
"I'm not sure I understand."
"He's quite taken by you, after all how could he not be with a woman such as yourself, that's why he brought Ms. Holmes. He wants her to meet the women he hopes to marry one day."

"Are you quite certain?" I question
"Entirely, I've been watching." He responds confidently
"Then I suppose I should remedy this."

"I must take my leave then." James says pulling away, "my apologies, for leaving without saying goodbye the last time."
I shake my head, "you had fallen ill, it wasn't your fault."
He smiles, "consider this a goodbye for both occasions and forever my flower."
I give him a small a hug, finally feeling the hole he had left close. I can finally move on without even a bit of guilt. "Goodbye James."

I awaken in the chair James had found me in. Had I been here the whole time?

A girl stares down at me with concern in her eyes, "are you alright?"
"I apologize for worrying you, I must have fallen asleep. I do so hate advents such as these." I say politely
The girl giggle and her laugh echos down the hallway, it's not dainty and fake like the ladies I know, "Neither do I, however my friend insisted I come to meet someone."
I smile back, it's so rare I find someone that I can relate to, "I'm Viscountess Y/n Y/l/n, and you are?"
A flicker of recognition passes over the girls eyes, "I'm Enola Holmes."