Chapter 3: The Hatstall

Emily was in absolute awe from the very first moment she set foot in the castle. Hundreds of paintings lined the walls and the gothic style architecture was breathtaking. The amazement did not stop when she stepped into the great hall. Floating candles hung above her head. The ceiling beautifully depicted the cloudy night sky. Four long tables were crowded with smiling students awaiting a delicious feast. The staff sat at another at the front of the hall, one magnificently carved chair standing above the rest. A rather stern looking woman stood by a stool facing a crowd of small first years. On the stool sat an old, raggedy hat, blinking slowly and grinning. Excitement grew in her chest as she recognized it as the sorting hat. Ghosts zoomed past her on each side, some greeting her on the way. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville took their seats with the other Gryffindors at the table second from the left while Luna met with her Ravenclaw friends at the table on their right. Emily, not knowing where to sit, stood at the entrance and watched in awe.

The woman standing by the hat called her name, finally gaining her attention. She scrambled over to join the first years. "Now that we're all here--" the woman started, shooting a quick glance at Emily, "--we may begin. This is the sorting hat." She added, picking it up. "When I call your name you will take a seat on this stool and I will place it on your head. As I'm sure many of you know, it will be sorting you into your houses. After you are sorted, please go join your housemates at the proper table. We will be starting with Ms. Carter today, as she is the only fifth year needing to be sorted. Questions?"

A couple students raised their hands and she ignored them. "Perfect." She turned to face the hat which, to Emily's surprise, began to sing.

In times of old, when I was new,

And Hogwarts barely started,

The founders of our noble school

Thought never to be parted.

United by a common goal,

They had the selfsame yearning

To make the world's best magic school

And pass along their learning.

"Together we will build and teach"

The four good friends decided.

And never did they dream that they

Might someday be divided.

For were there such friends anywhere

As Slytherin and Gryffindor?

Unless it was the second pair

Of Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw,

So how could it have gone so wrong?

How could such friendships fail?

Why, I was there, so I can tell

The whole sad, sorry tale.

Said Slytherin, "We'll teach just those

Whose ancestry's purest."

Said Ravenclaw, "We'll teach those whose

Intelligence is surest."

Said Gryffindor, "We'll teach all those

With brave deeds to their name."

Said Hufflepuff, "I'll teach the lot

And treat them just the same."

These differences caused little strife

When first they came to light.

For each of the four founders had