Chapter 7: Background

Emily and Hermione stumbled, laughing hysterically, into their dorm room later that night to find that Lavender, Parvati, and Fay were nowhere to be found. They each collapsed onto their four-posters and sat in silence for a moment as their giggles fizzled out.

"Hey, 'Mione?" Emily asked, sitting up.

"Yeah?" She responded.

"What was the sorting hat so worried about?"

"How much do you know about the wizarding war?" She asked, also sitting up.

"The basics. Voldemort attempted to seize power over the British Ministry, right? And killed Harry's parents in the process?"

"Right. Well, the Daily Prophet absolutely refuses to report on it, but he's back." She said quietly, a serious look on her face.

"What?" Emily asked, the colour draining from her cheeks.

"You heard about the death of Cedric Diggory at the end of last year's tournament, right?"

"The trophy was a portkey." Emily nodded.

"Right. It brought Harry and Cedric to a graveyard and Voldemort and his death eaters were waiting."

"Holy shit."

"Over the summer a pair of dementors attacked Harry in a muggle town."

"I think I read about that." She nodded.

"Harry had to go to court because he cast the Patronus charm in front of a muggle, but the dementors are under the control of the Ministry. We have reason to believe the death eaters have infiltrated and purposely got Harry in trouble to undermine his claims that Voldemort is back."

"Is that why Umbridge is here?"

"Between you and me, I think so. That bloody git is a way for the death eaters to control our education. There's a reason she won't let us practise defensive spells. She doesn't want us to be able to fight back."

They sat in silence for another moment before Emily muttered "my father works for the Ministry."

"I'm-- I'm sure he's fine, Emily." She stuttered.

"Yeah. He's probably fine."