Chapter 1: The Wake

Today is the day. My father, my hero, my best friend is gone. I try to hold back the pain and sorrow I feel inside but the second that I see his casket I break down in tears. I look around to see who else has shown up. Just about every single family member I have is paying their respects and kneeling before the casket. I've never really been too close with my family due to the fact that they hated my father. It's quite sad that they would ignore him ever since he had me and now they are here crying over his passing. I didn't have any intensions of talking to my family therefore I just sat on a small bench that was quite a distance away from the crowd. My whole face is numb and soaked from all of the crying. I can't stop it. My whole world is changing. My father was the only person in my whole family that I could talk too and trust. He was always there for me. He was my rock. My mother was never that close to me. She left my father when I was 7 and I haven't seen her since. Except for now of course. She is next to her parents balling her eyes out. Honestly it gets me angry that she can just walk out on my father and I and then show up at his funeral acting like he was so important to her. Did I mention that she cheated on him with at least 6 different men? How about that one of those men was my fathers brother? Yup right next to my "mother" is my uncle Dave. He is holding onto her as they all stand around the casket. The one thing I will hate the most about this whole situation is that I am being forced to move in with them. I am going to have to live with the two people I absolutely despise. The second I finish that thought I look up to notice that the Avengers and Shield have shown up. They are honestly the most brave people I know. I look up to them all. They're all strong and stunning. Fury, of course is like a uncle to me. I have known him for since I can remember. The moment he sees me he runs over to me and gives me a great big hug. I think I even notice him crying a bit.

"Hey sweetheart...It's going to be okay. I promise." ~Fury

"Th..Th..Thanks..."~Kate

I could barely manage to get the word out without choking on my tears. When Fury lets go of me I feel a crash. I was just bear hugged by Thor himself. He was extremely tall and buff as usual. Then after him the rest of the Avengers hugged me and said that they were sorry for my loss. Hugging Tony was actually quite awkward because he usually isn't really as caring as the others. However the one person I notice that didn't hug me yet was Steve Rogers. I looked around curious as to where he could be. That's when I noticed him. He was standing next to a small tree talking to my "mother" and my uncle. I was so confused to be honest because I didn't know that he knew them. He noticed that I looked at him so he must've said his goodbye to my "mother" because he started walking over to me. By the time he got to me the rest of the Avengers had already started to walk around and talk to other people.

"Hello Ms.Kate..." ~Steve

"H..Hi.." ~Kate

"I'm so sorry for your loss...." ~Steve

The second I thought I was doing so great at not crying I began to break again. I think he noticed because he sat next to me on the bench and held me close.

"I want you to know that no matter what we are all here if you need someone to speak with. Also I spoke to your mother and I got her to agree to letting you visit the Avengers Building whenever you need too. I know it's tough but your father would've wanted you to stay strong. I don't mean hide everything you feel. I mean be brave to talk about it. It might seem like your world is falling apart right now but I promise that things will get better." ~Steve

I honestly didn't expect that from Steve. He usually was quiet whenever I was around. Sure he did say it in a whisper tone but this is the most he has ever spoken to me. I hate to admit it but I needed this. I needed to know that I had people to talk too. I needed to know that everything was going to be fine. I didn't really know how to reply so i just hugged him and put my face in the crook of his neck crying some more. He hugged me back. Steve's touch was so gentle and soothing. I never wanted to leave this moment. Steve and I have grown into close friends over the past few months. I met him when I was visiting my father at Shield. I was told to sit in the conference room until my father showed. The Avengers all showed up as I was waiting and they greeted me. Natasha even gave me a big hug. Steve looked extremely confused as to who I was therefore I introduced myself and he did the same. Every weekend since I have went to Shield and hung out with them. Usually we would play card games or even video games. Most of the time Tony would vs me in call of duty and he would win. But who knows maybe I will win one day. Anyway, Steve and I just sat there on the bench holding onto each other and staring at the casket. It felt so natural. Just when I thought that things weren't so bad my "mother" had called to me.

"Come on Kate. We have to go get your stuff packed. You know how Paul gets when he has to wait." ~Mother

"C..C...Coming...." ~Kate

Honestly I didn't want to go home with them. They were the last two people I want to live with however I have too since I had no place to go. I am only 19 so I haven't really been able to get my own place yet. I currently am in college to become a teacher and that takes all of the money I earn while working at Kohls. Yup I have to pay for college by myself since my "mother" doesn't do anything for me and my father had been struggling with money lately. Before I left, I hugged Steve one last time and kissed his cheek.

"Thank you Steve..." ~Kate

"My pleasure, Ma'am." ~Steve

Then I quickly hugged the rest of the Avengers and said my goodbyes to my "family" then ran to the car.