Chapter 1: 90 degree angles

Y/n's POV

"Come on, Mom! I'm gonna be late for my exam!" I shouted back from the door. 

"Well, you don't want to go hungry while you're there," She replied quickly. "I'm just packing you some rice balls, okay?" 

"But Mom, I won't even have time to eat them! I'm just going to show up, take the test, then come straight home. There's kind of no point in packing rice balls," I protested.

"I'm just wishing you well, Y/n. I'm so proud of you for coming this far," She began, tearing up. "Good luck, be safe, and I love you!"

"Love you too, Mom" I said, taking her rice balls with me.

I walked down to the train station, taking in the morning air and watched as the birds chirped overhead. I picked up my pace, almost eager to see what the exams have to offer. I saw other students about my age get on the same train as me. Possibly heading to the same place as me. The trains started to fill up with passengers. I ended up getting smushed against the glass by some guy that was like three feet wide.

Damn, should've just waited for the express train... this guy has no spatial awareness.

After about ten minutes of suffocation, I had finally gotten off at the stop closest to where the exams were taking place. I'm already seeing people with interesting quirks around me. There was a guy with bird head, another guy with a speech bubble for a face. I'm interested to see how they'll fare in the exams. However, there were also people with pretty average looks though. Not quite what I'd expect, but I guess I'm not walking around with a gecko head either. There was a green haired kid with a dopey grin on his face, probably really happy to be able to jump at this chance. Can't blame him.

He looks really excite- and he tripped. I felt that.

I got assigned a card when I walked inside the building. It had my name, my (severely outdated)picture, and a number printed on it. 

Why'd they use that photo!? I still have baby teeth missing in this!

I started chuckling to myself about how silly I looked. I went in and took my seat inside of a large auditorium filled to the brim with aspiring heroes. I'd almost feel bad having to compete against these people, but I've got to succeed too. I remember reading that we'd have to take part in mock battles, but I hope I don't have to be the direct cause of someone not getting in, you know? I took out my mom's homemade rice balls and started eating as I waited for the introduction to start, rambling to my self in my thoughts.

Damn, these are good, what'd she do different? Maybe she used different seaweed this time...

Suddenly, a loud voice pierced through the whole audience.

"For all you examinee listeners tuning in, welcome to my show today!" He boomed. "Everybody say 'hey!'"

The audience went dead silent. Even the conversations between two people had suddenly went on pause. After the silence, the announcer began to give us a rundown of the practical exam.

"Are you ready?!" He asked to the silence.

Tough crowd

The loud guy explained that we'd be split into different battle centers, where we'd have to battle fake villains worth a different amount of points depending on the type of villain.

I've played video games with a system like this, so I'll bet the 3-pointers will be harder to bring down... Heh, watch the 3-pointers have missiles on 'em or something.

He also mentioned that we're not allowed to attack other participants. Then, a rather loud guy in the crowd quickly spoke up to ask a question.

"On the printout, there are four types of villains. If that is a misprint, the U.A., the most prominent school in Japan, should be ashamed of the foolish mistake."

Jesus, what a square. My guy, it's not that serious. But I do wonder what the fourth type is. Looks pretty big on the printout. Heh, that'll give Big Bertha's ass on the train a run for his money.

"We examinees are here in this place because we wish to be molded into exemplary heroes," He went on. "In addition, you over there with the curly hair-- You've been muttering this whole time. It's distracting! If you're here on a pleasure trip, then you should leave immediately!"

I don't know what kind of lunatic would go to a high school acceptance exam for pleasure, but whatever you say.

The announcer explained that the fourth villain type is worth a whopping zero points, I guess to dissuade people from fighting it and getting screwed up. There's no point in fighting it unless you're THAT destructive, so it's just kinda there to be annoying, like a really big roach.

The announcer man finished off the introduction with the school's (grammatically incorrect) motto.

"Go beyond. Plus Ultra!!!"

I had gotten on the bus that would take us to our battle center

I had gotten on the bus that would take us to our battle center. I was so jumpy the entire ride. I couldn't wait to see what I could do.

As we lined up outside the gates of the battle center, I recognized the geeky kid that tripped. I also saw the square that was yelling about exemplars and shame, with his 90-degree-angle looking chin. 

Here we go, the first hurdle in my path to becoming a hero! ...that was the cheesiest thing I've ever said. Let's just focus up, Y/n. We got this. This is where we'll shine. 

Here's hoping for great things!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, that chapter took a lot to write. Sorry that there was no Hagakure in this chapter, but she'll be here soon. Promise. I'll try to update this often, but it takes a hella long time to actually write this stuff down. 

That's about it for now. Have a good day/afternoon/night!

964 words. finished on 12-20-2022