Chapter 16: Immediate Threat

Y/n's POV

It was another normal day of interning under the Pro Hero Wringer. And by normal, I mean it was a constant balancing act of life or death in this city. A whole day had passed since the run-in with that guy that manipulated water. I had already forgotten his name by then. Wringer and I were responding to reports of hostages being held by superpowered criminals. Everything was going fine until one of them managed to make a getaway in a truck and started speeding down the wrong side of the road.

"Sir, could you please slow down?" I shouted as I swung behind his vehicle. "Or at least drive on the correct side of the road?"

"How 'bout you stop chasing me and I'll take it nice and slow?" He shouted back while popping his head out the window.

"How about you look where you're going!?"

He glanced forward to where he was going to see multiple cars barreling towards him. He swerved and he miraculously dodged all the oncoming vehicles.

While I was giving chase, I got a call from Wringer on an earpiece she gave me. "Hey, kid. I'm cleaning up the villains over here. How's that pursuit going?"

"Well, our guy is driving irresponsibly and refuses to hit the brakes, so everything's going great."

"I'll be over as soon as I can. Just as soon as I sweep up." I heard gunshots on the other side of the line. "DO YOU MIND?! I'M HAVING AN IMPORTANT CONVERSATION! ...I'll call you back, Yamori."

Guess I'm on my own for the time being. At least it seems like there isn't much traffic anymor-

I didn't even get to finish my own thoughts when the truck turned sharply into a narrow street. Luckily, the street was mostly empty, but it seemed to me that this guy was heading nowhere specific. That meant there was a good chance we'd end up somewhere packed with even more obstacles, or worse, people. I urgently sped up my swinging and was just barely able to zip to the roof of the truck. I then climbed my way to the front near the driver's seat.

"Hey, hit the brakes, before you get someone killed!" I shouted.

"So you can catch me? No, thank you." He replied.

I figured I wouldn't get anywhere talking to him, so I climbed back up to the roof to figure out a solution. Just then, I got another call from Wringer.

"Hey, I'm back. I'm trying to get to where you are right now. Just a heads up, I'm gonna be a few minutes out."

"No rush, but this thing is speeding around the city, and the roads are gonna start filling up at this hour."

"Gotcha. Just try your best."

Okay, need a plan. I need a plan really damn fast.

I dismounted off the back of the truck and latched onto it with my tethers and tried to pull it back by sticking to the floor. My efforts were in vain however, as the truck was moving so fast that I was basically skiing on the road instead of slowing down what I was supposed to be stopping. The vehicle suddenly swerved around another corner, slamming me into the side of a building with the momentum. However, I was determined not to let go. I attempted to brace my footing on the corner of a building, but I got instantly yanked back towards the truck.

This isn't good. With how fast the truck's moving, I won't be able to stop it normally. I've got to try something soon, though.

I looked back around my surroundings and thought of one last-ditch maneuver. I zipped back to the roof of the vehicle and climbed to the front. From there, I placed my footing on the bumper of the truck and used my tethers to latch on to two sound-looking buildings on each side of the street, so I could push against the truck with all of my strength.