Ch 13: Let's Make a Deal

V's awoke to the raging blare of her holophone alarm. She didn't want to get up, as the green woman was in desperate need of more sleep. What little shut eye she did get wasn't very restful, making her feel extra groggy. Still, V shut off the alarm and stretched. They couldn't stay put for much longer. Survival required her to get a move on.

"Come on, Wander," V yawned, trying to start up her half-conscious brain. "We need to get up." She reached over to shake the furry alien awake. But her hand met only air and wrinkled bed sheets. "Wander?" V lifted up the blanket to find that there were a few orange hairs where Wander was laying when she fell asleep.

"Wander?" V sat up looking around the motel room. Her first thought was that Wander went back to sleeping with Sylvia, but the Zbornak was alone on the other bed. Another glance around and the edgerunner realized that Wander's green hat was also missing. "WANDER?!" V leaped out of bed, panic forcing away the early morning drowsiness. She sprinted to the bathroom only to find it empty. Then she checked under the beds and even looked in the small, motel dresser. Wander wasn't in the room.

"FUCK!" V punched the wall with her right fist. "That moronic freak! Don't have time for this."

"It's one less thing to worry about," Dominator shrugged, the phantom appearing at V's side. "I say we forget him and hightail it out of here."

"You might be right," V mumbled, "as much as I hate to admit it." She turned to the still sleeping Zbornak and tried to shake her awake. "Sylvia... Sylvia, wake up!"

"Hu?" Sylvia snorted as her eyes cracked open. "Just five more minutes," she mumbled, rolling on to her back.

"No. Not five more minutes," V scolded, "Now! Wander's missing, and we need to delta."

"Wander's missing?" Sylvia forced her head up and looked around the room to confirm her friend was gone. "He's always up super early," she said, brushing off V's concern. "He's probably out helping some granny carry groceries or something. He'll be back by sunrise." Sylvia stretched before lying her head back down with a smile. "Little bugger always it."

Before Sylvia had a chance to fall back to sleep, V cranked up the volume on her phone and placed it by the Zbornak's ear.

SEED IS SOWN, I'M CHIPPIN' IN
ROLL THE BONES, I'M CHIPPIN' IN
EMBED THE CODE, I'M CHIPPIN' IN
MAYHEM FLOWS!

"Yeeow!" Sylvia screeched as her head shot up, hands over her ears. "Alright, I'm up already. Crop..."

"News flash, Zbornak," V spat, turning off the music. "I can't wait till sunrise. In case you forgot, people know who I am now. The corpos are probably already looking for me, which means I need to get the grob out of dodge."

"I'm not leaving without Wander," Sylvia said.

"You can come back for him if you want, but my main concern is not taking a bullet to the brain." V glanced at the time on her phone. "5:06 AM. If he's not back by 5:30, we're leaving without him. I'm gonna get dressed."

V grabbed her bag and went into the tiny bathroom, closing the door behind her. She didn't have time to take a full shower, but still made a point to wash her face and wipe the outside of her right eye socket. Getting dressed proved to be more of a challenge than she anticipated, as moving her left arm too fast caused a bolt of pain to shoot through her shoulder. But the edgerunner's motivation was great enough to push through.

"Hey, V," Sylvia asked through the door.

"What?"

"Let's assume for a second that I'm okay with leaving without Wander," Sylvia pondered. "Where exactly do we go?"