Rima

The breeze against her face was cooling it down. Wikitoria had her shades on, hiding from Marco the tears sitting there. As the boat bounced over the water, she held the brown paper bag with her pounamu, rings, and phone in. Catching a tear on her cheek, she looked back, seeing the others preparing for the kayak races.

“Is that Wiki?”
Maia looked up, catching the boat heading out across the water.
“What happened? Is she in trouble or something?”
“Hey, now we’re uneven; someone has to go twice.”
Jazz handed her a lifejacket. “You alright?”
Maia caught Wikitoria’s little wave. “Yip.” She turned back to the activity. “I’m going to kick all your asses!”
“Think you’re the fastest?” Frankie was already in the water.
“I am, and you’re the first to go.” Maia pushed in her kayak.
“Eww, challenge is on!”

“Yeah, just this one, thanks.” Wikitoria indicated the two-story house. She got out, grabbing her bag from the boot. “Thanks, mate.” She tapped the car, stepping up onto the curb. Finding her keys, she headed on up to the door. “Hola!” She yelled out, seeing if anyone was home. “Anyone in?” She chucked her keys down, making her way to the laundry; she might as well wash her stuff properly now, get it out of the way. “Yo, is anyone home?” She made her way upstairs, checking the rooms. “Damn, guess I’m it. Yes!” She entered her room, flopping down on her bed. “Ahh, man, I missed you.” She smelt her pillow, the soft fluffiness and laundry powder scent heaven to her nose. Then she caught a whiff of herself. “Oh man, I need a shower.” Getting up, she headed to her drawers. She grabbed some clean underwear and looked in her wardrobe for some clean clothes. “Oh, what!” She flicked through her empty racks. “Maia!” She’d cleaned her out. “Well.” She turned around, grabbing her stuff. “let's see what you got. Fairs fair.” She headed across the hall into Maia’s room. “Since you’ve got my clothes, you owe me.” She found a top and some jeans in her wardrobe. “that’s just gonna have to do.”

Jade sat down on the sand next to Maia. “Sure, feels weird, Wiki not being here.” Maia sighed. Why was everyone talking to her about Wikitoria? She continued drawing in the sand with her stick. “I wonder what happened?”
Maia wet her lip. She wanted to say she got caught making out with someone, but the thought just made her mad. “Don’t know. Maybe she just had to go early.”
“True.”
Naydeen flopped down beside them, throwing her paddle down. “Can’t believe I just bet Clinton again!”
“It’s that long stride of yours.”
“Jade, you're up!”
Watching her go, Naydeen turned to Maia, quietly drawing in the sand. “She left you something; it’s under your pillow.” Maia looked up. “I wasn’t snooping. It was just there.” She sighed. “Pity you won’t see her again.”
“Hmm.” A little smile crossed her face. “I wish.” She saw Naydeen tilt her head. She leaned closer. “Wiki’s my flatmate. In fact, these are her clothes. I stole them from her wardrobe 'cause I had nothing to wear.”
“What?” Naydeen couldn’t help but start to laugh. “Are you serious?”
“Yip.” Maia began to laugh with her. “So don’t feel too bad for us. I’ll still get to tell her she’s an idiot.”
“An idiot is right.” Naydeen relaxed. “So does that mean you two do have something going on?”
Maia looked at her. “We did, but…” She subtly indicated to her neck.
Naydeen sighed. “Then what was that about if it wasn’t you.”
“I know.”
Her eye fell on Millie out on the water. “But she wasn’t into her, even I could tell that.” Naydeen looked at her. “I don’t even think she knew it was there.”
Maia sighed, drawing in the sand. “She did try to tell me something about it; she thought it was me?” Their eyes met.
“Maybe she really did think it was you, but…” Their eyes fell on Millie.
“You think she made a move last night?”
“She was pretty clingy, and we both know she was following her around like a bad smell.”
“Hmm.” Maia threw her stick away, about to get up. “If she made a move on her, I’m gonna smack her.”
“No, wait!” Naydeen stood up with her. “Wait, we have one more night. Let's just mess with her.”
Maia turned around, brushing the sand off her clothes. “Okay.” She picked up a paddle. “What did you have in mind?”

Tying up her freshly washed hair, Wikitoria stood back, checking herself out in Maia’s clothes, her pounamu sitting nicely against the material. “This isn’t too bad. Maybe I need to raid your wardrobe more often.” Sighing, she leaned forward, seeing the fading mark on her neck. “What an idiot, Wik.” Still, she could do nothing until Maia returned the following day. “So...” She looked at herself, feeling pretty confident in this get-up. “Might as well get this over with.” She headed out to the lounge, picked up her keys and phone, and made her way out to her car. She was off to see her whanau.

Maia was sitting in her kayak, waiting for the race to begin. Naydeen was a few kayaks over. The top two from both teams, Frankie and Millie, joined them. Naydeen waved over at her. “Want me to take her out?”
“No. Frankie.” She gave her the thumbs up. Hearing the whistle, they took off. Frankie had some power in his stroke, but Naydeen was catching up to him. Millie was holding on, but Maia was coming up quickly behind her. Making the turn, Millie dug her paddle in just as Maia came steaming for her. “Maia, watch out!” Causing waves, Maia passed her, putting the power in to catch Frankie. Naydeen was hot on his heels. Coming up beside him, she tapped his paddle.
“Hey.” His grip loosened. “You almost…” Maia came past the other side, tapping his tail. “Woo!” He lost his balance and tipped out. Popping out of the water, Millie strolled past, taking third place.
Winning the team heat, Maia and Millie had to race one more time. Maia pulled down her cap, tightening up her ponytail. She had been waiting for this. “Go, Mai!” She heard Naydeen on the shoreline. “You got this!”
Maia looked over her shoulder at Millie. She had a slight smirk on her face. “Hey.” Maia leaned over, catching her eye. “This is paybacks.”
“For what?”
“Getting Wiki kicked out.”
The whistle went. Maia dug in, pulling herself away from the start line. Millie set off following her along the course. She was quickly catching up. Maia was speeding up. She hit the turn, digging her paddle in, the tail of the kayak cutting into the water. Turning sharply, her nose was pointed at Millie. Millie had to quickly aim for the left as Maia straightened up, heading back to the finish line. She dug in, leaving Millie in the dust. Crossing the finish line, the cheers went up. Wikitoria would have been proud.

Wikitoria’s ma came back with her cup of coffee. “Weren’t you scared?” They were talking about her experience at Outward.
“The first night alone I was. I didn’t get much of a chance to look around. It got dark pretty quick, and I had no fire, so.”
Her ma put her hand on hers. “You’re crazy!”
That caused a smile on her face. Wikitoria laughed. “Yeah, I know.”
“Well…” Her mama sat back. “I hope you got something out of all of this.”
“I did.” Wikitoria nodded, tapping her cup. “I’m a lot more confident about being in the dark. I’ve conquered my fear of heights.”
“Oh, good!” Her mama sipped her tea.
“And there’s something else I’ve been meaning to deal with. Well, not deal with but come to terms with.”
“oh...” Her mama put down her cup, concern in her eyes.
Wikitoria took a deep breath. “You see, mama, what happened with Aroha and Aunty really traumatized me, so it has been hard for me to be truthful about it.” She saw her mama's features change. She wet her lip a moment, trying to find the right words. “Aroha had to leave, and I hope you will not make me do the same.” She searched her mama's eyes. Was she going to have to say it?
The corner of her mama's lip curled for a second. She looked at her hands around her cup. “Your aunt is a prude.” Her Ma reached her hand over, taking her daughter's hand in her own. “I know you, Wikitoria.” She shrugged her shoulders. “I see you.” She laughed, squeezing her hand. “And trust me, I would be more shocked if you turned up here with one of those silly boys.” They laughed. Wikitoria relaxed a bit. Her mama sat back, watching her baby. “So, does this girl have a name?”
Wikitoria blushed a little. This was a new kind of conversation between them. “Maia.” “Maia,” Her mama nodded. “A strong Maori name.”
Wikitoria laughed. “She’s white.”
“Ohh.” Her Mama took a moment to adjust to these modern times.
Wikitoria smiled, taking her mama's hand. “Don’t worry, mama, you’ll like her; you really will.”
“Hmm.” Her mama relaxed, squeezing her daughter's hand. She smiled. “If she’s made you this happy, you better tell me more about her.”

Maia chucked her gear down on the floor next to her bunk. That last kayak race had really taken it out on her shoulders. Sitting down, she admitted she could really do with one of Wikitoria's massages right about now. Sighing, her eyes scrimped over the empty bunks. Remembering what Naydeen had said, she looked beside her, sliding her hand under her pillow. She felt the paper. It was from her notebook. -This was worth it- She read the writing in the corner. Holding it out, it took her a moment to figure out what it was. It was rough, but it was the view of the mountains from the overnight camp. The sun coming up, and the heart was them. Her features softened, remembering how special that had been between them. “Oh, Wik.” She sighed. Putting it back under her pillow, she sat there a moment. She thought about her trying to talk to her at the obstacle and then seeing her on the boat. She could have easily dobbed Millie or herself, but she hadn’t. She’d given them both the chance to finish this experience. She thought about the milestones she’d made being here. Even Wikitoria. Millie crossed her mind. Had she achieved what she came here for? She sat back a moment. This psychologist is starting to be intrigued. She picked up her hat. Maybe she needed to find out.

She found her washing out the last of her clothes. “Hi”
“Hi,” She looked up momentarily, not thinking anything of it until she noticed Maia had no washing. She stopped and put her hand on her hip.
Maia leaned on the basin. “Wiki could have got you kicked out, but she didn’t.” Maia started seeing her turn to continue her washing. “So, I take it she took the fall for you so you could finish this.”
Millie stopped. “I have no idea what the hell you are on about.”
Maia stood up. “The hickey on Wiki’s neck.” Millie stopped. “It was you, wasn’t it.”
“Look…” Millie glared up at her. “I don’t know what this has to do with you. Unless...” She smirked to herself. “I sense a wee bit of jealousy.”
Maia paused. The smart comeback was there, but she was trying to be mature about this. She crossed her arms. “Did you even consider that maybe your actions got her kicked out? The rules are the rules.” She saw her bite her lip. Sitting down, Maia looked up at her. “If you don’t mind me asking, Millz, how did you end up coming here? What's your why?”
Millie turned around, hanging up her shirt. She looked back at her teammate. She sighed. “I needed to get out of home for a few weeks.” She admitted. “Thought it might…” she tried to find the words with her hands. “it might toughen me up a bit.” She shrugged. “My stepdad is a bit of an arse.”
“Oh.” Maia nodded. Now, it was starting to make sense. “And Wiki?”
The girl smiled, taking a seat next to her. “Like a goddess.” She blushed slightly, feeling kind of embarrassed. “I got this…” she waved her hand. “Real like butterflies in my stomach when she was around me. It was addictive.” She laughed a little. She shrugged. “Made me weird.”
Maia relaxed. “You got weird, alright.” She wet her lip, unsure if she should ask this. “Did you give her that hickey?” She watched her purse her lips. There was a hint of satisfaction but also a hint of guilt in her expression.
“I got carried away.” She scratched the back of her neck. “It just happened.” Maia just sat there, hoping she would open up more. Millie saw her patience. She shrugged. “We were having a good night, and everyone was on such a high.” She wet her lips. “She took off, and I just thought she was going back to the rooms, but she headed towards the big tree and…” Maia looked away a moment, realizing Wikitoria had been looking for her. “She turned around, and I don’t know, I think she was expecting someone else, but…” She moved uncomfortably. “It got pretty…” She let out a lustful sigh. “Then she realized it was me and took off. Man, I’m such an idiot.” She put her head in her hands. “How could I think someone like her would be into a skinny nobody like me.” She looked up at Maia. “She wasn’t even gay.”
Maia exhaled. She had to apologize to Wikitoria when she got home. She looked at the small girl beside her. “Does anybody know you’re gay?”
Millie sat up, wiping her eyes. “I think I’m bisexual. I still like guys, you know, but...”
Maia nodded, smiling at her. “Has this experience helped you find out what kinda strong person you can be?”
Millie sat up. It took her a moment, but she nodded. “Yeah, it has.” She smiled. She turned to Maia, who was stretching her neck. “Thanks.”
Maia looked down at her. “For what?”
Millie shrugged. “For caring. I don’t get that much.”
“Hey.” Maia stood up, indicating for her to stand. She reached out and pulled her into a hug. Millie hesitated a moment, then relaxed, welcoming the embrace. “You’re an amazing young person, Millie. I hope whatever you decide to do when you leave here makes you the happiest person in the world.”
“Thanks, Maia.”
“You're welcome.” She threw her arm over her shoulder. “Come on, let's go eat.”

“There she is!” Wikitoria looked up at her ma before turning around and seeing her aunty walk in the front door. “Help me with these groceries, bub.” Getting up, Wikitoria gave her aunty a quick kiss on the cheek, taking the bags from her arms. “fuu, it was busy in there today. I almost turned around and headed straight back out!” She laughed, putting her handbag down on the table with her keys. “Come here; let me take a look at you.” Putting the milk in the fridge, Wikitoria stepped closer, letting her mother's sister pull her into a hug. “Look at this, stunning as always, my girl.” She squeezed her.
“She’s just returned from one of those outdoor adventure things, sis.”
“oh...” Her aunty tilted her head. “I can see that pale skin of yours has blackened up. You always had a nice tone, like your brother.”
“Hmm.” Wikitoria nodded. She glimpsed over at her mama; this was her aunty, not shy to say what she was thinking. “Put the jug on, bub; make your aunty a cuppa.”

“It’s getting late, hun. Are you going to stay?” Wikitoria put the last couple of dishes on the rack, wiping the bench. She sighed.
“If that’s ok, Ma.”
“Sure, babe.”
“Just move your cousin's stuff, bub. Who knows when she’ll be back for it.” Her aunty said from the lounge. Her aunty watched her come past the table. “You sure there isn’t a handsome Tane waiting at home for you, my girl? Gotta be a few in the city there with you.”
Wikitoria saw her mama roll her eyes. “you're ok, babe, beds made up.”
Wikitoria stopped. She looked at her aunty a moment. You know she had to do this for her cousin, too. “Actually, Aunty, I do have a partner, but she isn’t back till tomorrow.” She saw her Aunty nod and then suddenly realized what she said.
Her eyes fell on her niece standing there quite comfortably. Her sister sitting at the table. “Gees, sis, what do they teach these kids at school these days?” She shook her head. She was just about to say something when Wikitoria came to sit beside her.
“I love you, my Aunty.” She met her eyes. “Both you and Ma have taught me and Aroha the most important life lesson. Unconditional love.” She reached over, putting her hand on hers. She smiled a little. “At least you don’t have to worry about us bringing those silly patu boys home. Their smelly toe jams and stink breath.”
Her aunt looked at her a moment. Her hand came up. Wikitoria flinched, expecting a smack, but her aunty held her cheek. “My daughter doesn’t even talk to me anymore. Don’t you be like that to your mama, or I’ll…” She tapped her cheek, giving her a playful smack.
Wikitoria smiled. “She misses you too, Aunty.” Wikitoria stood up, kissing her Aunty on the head. Seeing her Ma, she blew out a breath. “Night, ma.”
“Night, babe.”

Maia couldn’t believe this was over.
“Seeya, mate!”
“See ya!” She waved as Jade got in the van.
“Are you going back by Bus?”
“Yip.”
Naydeen dropped her bag, turning around to hug her. “You tell that boofhead to look me up sometime, ok.” She pulled back. “You guys are always welcome.”
“Thanks.” She watched Naydeen get in the van and close the door. Maia picked up her bag and headed over to the waiting bus.
“Just this one.”
“Yip.” She handed the bus driver her bag. Taking one last look around, she stepped up into the bus. “Time to go home.”

“Make sure you bring that girl of yours home to meet me.”
Wikitoria hugged her Mama. “I will, Mama.” She looked next to her at her Aunty. Smiling, she hugged her. “When I catch up with my cousin, I’ll tell her to be in touch.” She felt her aunty squeeze her tighter. “Okay.” She pulled her keys out of her pocket and opened her car door. “I’ll see you.” She started up the car, heading back to the city.

“Thank you.” Maia waved to the taxi driver. Looking up at the two-story house, she dug around in her bag for her key. “I’m home!” She chucked her bag down, relieved to be back. It was quiet. “Anyone here?” She heard the key in the door. Wikitoria hadn’t expected to see her standing there. “Hi.”
“Hi.” She closed the door. “I didn’t think you’d be back yet.”
“I only just got here.”
“I can see that.” Wikitoria pointed to the camp clothes she was still in. She sighed. “Look, Mai…”
“Wiki, it is ok.”
“No...” Wikitoria stepped closer. “Nothing happened. I thought…”
“It’s ok.” Maia stepped closer, putting her hand up. “I know.” She sighed. “Millie explained what happened.”
“She did?”
“Yeah.” Maia rubbed her temple. “She was just confused and got a bit carried away with all the butterflies she was getting around you.”
Wikitoria laughed at her animation. “Her butterflies?”
“Well...” Maia smiled, stepping closer. “Apparently, she thought you were like some kinda goddess.”
“Goddess?”
“Aha.” She touched her top. “She was definitely under your spell.”
That killer smile of Wikis crossed her cheeks. “She wasn’t the only one.”
“Alright.” Maia pushed her away, smiling. “Where have you been anyway? Isn’t that mine?”
Wikitoria followed her to the laundry. “I went home to see my Ma.” Maia looked over her shoulder as she put her clothes in the washing machine. Wikitoria leaned on the door frame. “I told her the truth.” Maia turned around. “That I am in love with a girl named Maia.”
Maia pursed her lips. She wasn’t expecting that. She turned around, continuing her task. “What did she say?”
Wikitoria laughed to herself. “She said Maia, that’s a strong Maori name. I said she’s white, ma. Oh, she said.” Maia turned the machine on and turned around. “She said, well if she’s made you this happy, I will have to meet her.”
Wikitoria watched her lean back against the machine. She stepped into the room, taking her hands in her own. “I’m in love with you, Maia. And after these last few weeks with you, I know I want to be with you.”
Maia searched her eyes. “But Wiki, I’m not staying. You know I’m going.”
The corner of Wikitoria’s lips curled. “I know.” She nodded. She let go of her hand, touching her cheek. “That is why I need to know…” She searched her eyes. “Do you?” Her eyes fell to her lips. “Feel anything remotely the same as I do?”
“oh...” Maia played along, pulling her by the shirt closer. “You want me to tell you that I love you?”
Wikitoria smiled, moving into her. “Yeah, I do. Cause I’m pretty sure you do.” She laughed as Maia pulled her into a kiss.
“Mmmm.” Maia smiled into her lips. “Maybe.”
“Woo.” They heard from the door. Maia looked over Wikitoria’s shoulder at Tammy standing there. “Sorry, I didn’t know use…” She looked them over, confused. Wikitoria was cleanly dressed in Maia's clothes, and Maia was a mess in Wikitoria's. “Where? Why are you?”
“Long story, Tamz.”
“Yeah. We’ll explain later.” Maia looked up at Wikitoria, still against her. “But right now, I really need to get out of these clothes.” She met her eyes, biting her lip. “You wanna join me?”
Wikitoria grinned. “Sure.” Leading her by the hand, they walked past a still-confused Tammy. Heading to the bathroom, Wikitoria closed the door behind them. “Mai.” She turned her around. “I am serious about us.”
Maia sighed. She took her hands in her own. “Wiki. I love you. Come with me.”
“To Otago?”
“It's only for a few years. We can get a place of our own.”
Wikitoria’s features relaxed. “Yeah?”
“Yeah.” Maia wrapped herself around her. “I wanna be with you, and if anything…” She pressed into her, getting a smile. “I’ve kinda got used to waking up with you.” She pulled her top off, taking her bra with her. “And strangely showering with you.”
“Well…” Wikitoria pulled her shirt off, joining her in her quick clothing removal. “Maybe you needed to find me just as much as I needed to find you. Wikitoria me te Maia.” Maia paused as she turned the shower on, stepping in. Wikitoria smiled as she stepped in with her. “Victory and confidence.” She kissed her skin. “Gonna get that tattooed right here.”
Maia opened her eyes, letting the water fall down her hair. “Victory, is it?”
“Aha.”
“Hmm.” Maia took her hands, pushing her against the tiled wall. “I’ll happily claim my victory.”
“ouu.”  Wikitoria winked with her killer smile meeting her lips. “I like the sound of that.”

~~#~~