Run

Run

My eyes flickered open. Just like every morning, they still had that stick. Once I finally broke the crust that held them prisoner to my dreams, I knew it was going to be a great day. The sun was beaming brightly through the blinds. Not too much, not too little. I could feel the cool subtle breeze lay a thousand kisses upon my skin. There was no sour taste in my mouth, but the crave of delicious hot food grew until I yearned it. Today is perfect. Today is Commem day.

Sitting up, I could feel the energy of the flowers. They had smiles brighter than the sun, from petal to petal. I couldn't see them yet, feel them I could. Then came the heavenly singing from the birds. Usually it was a screech that made me want to shoot them. But they knew it was Commem day. Enjoying the sound of the birds was quickly interrupted when the faint sound of marching filled my ears. It was getting louder, and louder until all I could hear were feet marching down the gravel street. What was going on? I had to find out. Opening the blind I was sent into utter shock.

Men with Guns the size of children lined the street. My entire town it seemed was marching down the street. People being beaten. Monsters throwing innocent citizens out of their homes. BANG! The loud crack of a gun echoed throughout the town as we were surrounded by hill and mountains. Children crying. People dying. What will I do? I am going to run. I had to get out of here. I feared for my life, and my life only. "Do not move" I heard a voice command.

It was like death himself had possessed him. Now this vermin was telling me what to do. I had never been so angry and so afraid in my life. To the point where it was almost like my body had just invented a new feeling.

"Turn around". Anger filled my body, though I followed his order. I was astonished to see just a young boy standing there, not much older than 18. "I'm going to let you go". He whispered. What? Did I just hear that? Is this a trick? I didn't say anything back. "Run for the hills". "There is a group of freedom fighters there". I stood there dumbfounded. "What are you waiting for"? "Run"...