reminisce

I've always loved Midoriya, even before I knew what that word meant. But isn't that how it's supposed to go? Doesn't everyone fall for their best friend? At thirteen, I was convinced that that was the reality, that this was how it was for everyone. But hell, what do I know? Just thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach.

And here I am, slacked in my chair thinking about it again. The taste of metal filled my mouth as I gnawed on the end of my pencil, staring off into space while the teacher rambled about hero shit or something like that. Didn't matter to me. I was one of the two losers in this room who didn't have a Quirk. If I had one though, I'd beat the hell outta that blonde prick over there—

"Whatcha got there, Deku?" Bakugo, a boy with spiked blonde hair, laughed as he ripped Midoriya's notebook away from his desk.

"Give it back, Kacchan!" Midoriya, a skinny little nerd with a pair of green eyes and shaggy green hair, whined. His attempt was breathy as it was obvious he was tired of being picked on.

"Or what? You gonna use your Quirk on me?" Bakugo smirked. Arrogance spread across his entitled face like a forest fire as he glared down at Midoriya with his notebook dangling above his head. "Oh wait, you're Quirkless!"

Laughter erupted from Bakugo's henchmen in support. I watched as Midoriya's breath hitched in his throat. His fists balled as frustration overflowed. All I could do was watch from my desk which was two rows behind him with my lips pulled back in anger.

"Let's take a look at your diary, shall we?" Bakugo continued. He ripped the book open, nearly tearing the spine in half. Pages began to hang crooked as they tore from the hinges.

Midoriya sat there with wide eyes. He didn't move. He didn't say a word. Once again, he was being trampled on by the scum of the Earth. I had enough.

"Hey Bakugo!" I called to him. Instantly, his head turned and his red eyes met mine. Midoriya's head turned over his shoulder and the goons that stood behind Bakugo looked my way, too.

Without much time in between, I gripped my pencil and chucked it. I would've expected Bakugo to dodge since he claims his reflexes are that of a pro's, but the damn thing hit him right in the cheekbone. He recoiled back and nearly tripped over Midoriya's backpack. Gasps erupted from those standing around them as their eyes wandered to the blonde prick.

"Bakugo!" One of his sidekicks gasped. "Are you okay, man?"

Bakugo stood subdued with his hand over the spot that the pencil hit. At his feet, lay my chewed-up pencil with a piece of lead chipped off the tip. Our eyes remained locked; mine narrowed and his wide. His gaze reflected the thoughts, 'how dare you' and 'I'm about to kill you' at the same time. He removed his hand and a single droplet of blood glided down his pale cheek.

"What's going on back there?" The teacher's voice sounded with anger tainting his tone. Bakugo whipped around to face him, his red eyes blazing with fury.

"She just cut me!"

"He's harassing Midoriya, mister!" I countered.

A vein appeared across the teacher's forehead and his hand retreated to cover his eyes. There was a long moment of silence as the teacher contemplated what to do with us. This was a normal occurrence since Midoriya couldn't stand up for himself. But I'm willing to suffer the consequences so that people like Bakugo don't get what they want.

"All of you, Principal's office. Now." He slammed a hand on his desk, leaning against it to support the weight of our burden.

"Are you kidding me?!" Bakugo complained. The droplet was dangling from his jawline now.